• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

8 Years Ago Today: Grobe to Arkansas

had to present a CPE presentation the next morning. Was totally spent after staying on the boards all night.

i remember someone posting that Ted roof was at practice and grobe looked sad. very odd.

I did see grobe and billings on campus the next day and I said hi coach which I felt good about.

It's funny how much we all freaked about that and when skip almost took the Pittsburgh job. Hindsight says a lot if the losing that followed would have been different if we had gotten a couple if good new coaches at that high point for us

Which is why we shouldn't freak about losing coaches.

I think the 03 - 05 recruiting classes deserve 90% of the credit for Grobe's success. His entire legacy is based on those 3 classes.

BS. Winning six games that first year with a team that went 2-9 under Caldwell, then beating Oregon in the Seattle Bowl in his second year counts for nothing?

I've said it here before: I think some of Grobe passed with Skip.

Paul Johnson would have been our next coach.

We would probably be better off now had he gone ahead and left. No way to know for sure, but we would have been rid of the Loboesque offense, and a new coach would have stayed engaged on recruiting.

I've said it here before: I think some of Grobe passed with Skip.

I have heard from someone much closer to the program than I am that this may indeed have been the case. It shook him and brought a reevaluation of priorities. Which resulted in making less stringent demands upon his staff. And, all that resulted in fewer top recruits and a much less competitive team.

I was in China on business refreshing the boards.

Like someone said earlier, I never could reconcile all grobe's comments about loving wake and how special its was with wanting to coach at Arkansas. Not that that there is anything wrong with Arkansas, but it is pretty much the polar opposite of wake.

My opinion of grobe changes that day. I still appreciate the '06 run, but after that - I saw him as a good coach, but not someone who should have a statute outside the stadium and his name on a building.

I was in China on business refreshing the boards.

Like someone said earlier, I never could reconcile all grobe's comments about loving wake and how special its was with wanting to coach at Arkansas. Not that that there is anything wrong with Arkansas, but it is pretty much the polar opposite of wake.

My opinion of grobe changes that day. I still appreciate the '06 run, but after that - I saw him as a good coach, but not someone who should have a statute outside the stadium and his name on a building.

I remember I was on the road driving to Duke Medical Center. I was (and am) a Grobe fan, but those comments bothered me, also, 91.

I was at a frat dog house party in Charlotte and got so pissed off when my buddy (former boards lurker) texted me about it that I threw my phone against the wall and broke it. Only time I've ever done anything like that. I'm also pretty sure I hate fucked this chick that I had been hooking up with, who sucked, and I was trying to get out of my life.

Good times.

Yep, in hindsight. Anyone could've come in and kept the ball rolling as well or better than Grobe.

But we all truly believed that Grobe had the magic formula, and we wanted to show that we could hold on to a successful coach.

I truly believe you are correct. Of course it is all in hindsight but Wellman sold his soul to keep Grobie and Grobie got extremely lazy with the money we agreed to pay him. Almost all of his assistants were very lazy on the recruiting trail and Grobie was much to loyal to get rid of any of them like most coaches would have done by year 2010. Coach Grobe would have been well served to have moved on to a place like Arkansas and we would have been equally as well served to have had new blood in here like a guy like a Coach Clawson who had energy and brought in great assistants with lots of energy.

So, Prosser's death ultimately lead to the Bzaster and the Lobotomy?

I could not reconcile Grobe's interest in Arkansas with anything he had ever said about his philosophy or what he liked about Wake Forest. Once I realized he was actually considering the job, I was ready to help him pack, with gratitude for all he had done to that point.

Whoa is that true of any coach at Wake or just Grobe and the Arkansas job? He's hardly the first and won't be the last coach to consider another job while here.

In hind sight it would have been good for both sides had he moved on but it was impossible to have known that at that time.

Wake is probably in the bottom quarter of P5 jobs, and any Wake coach who has success will be looked at by schools with bigger stadiums, fanbases and booster clubs with more money. And I would be OK with such a coach at least considering such an offer. If he didn't at least look at it, I would wonder whether he was smart. Now taking it, that is another matter.

It takes a somewhat unusual coach to both be successful at Wake and happy staying there. The Wake job requires a slightly different mind set from that of the typical football coach who is always on the win or else pathway. The Wake administration (and to a lesser extent, the fanbase) will tolerate more losing than most if the rest of the program is sound. That is, players go to class, graduate, stay out of trouble and generally present a good image of the school. A Wake FB coach will get a longer leash in the W/L race than most, if the rest is good.

Wake is probably in the bottom quarter of P5 jobs, and any Wake coach who has success will be looked at by schools with bigger stadiums, fanbases and booster clubs with more money. And I would be OK with such a coach at least considering such an offer. If he didn't at least look at it, I would wonder whether he was smart. Now taking it, that is another matter.

It takes a somewhat unusual coach to both be successful at Wake and happy staying there. The Wake job requires a slightly different mind set from that of the typical football coach who is always on the win or else pathway. The Wake administration (and to a lesser extent, the fanbase) will tolerate more losing than most if the rest of the program is sound. That is, players go to class, graduate, stay out of trouble and generally present a good image of the school. A Wake FB coach will get a longer leash in the W/L race than most, if the rest is good.

I think that is fair. The level of success we accept must be adjusted compared to some other schools. We can't ever be a program that fires a coach for not winning 10 games a year, but I think we can be a program that should expect an established coach to average 7 wins or so a year, with the understanding that there may be a down year once in awhile and hopefully that 10+ win year once in awhile as well. By established coach, I mean a coach that has had a chance to build the program if they take over in a rebuilding situation left by the prior staff. Obviously, these first 2 or even 3 years of Clawson's tenure have to be looked at differently than if and when he rebuilds the program and is in a position to sustain some success.

Back