• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

___________ will be our Defensive Coordinator in '19

Personal, I like the approach Gundy took at Okie State to fill his OC job - he hired someone no one had heard off from a lower division that had put together a dominant offense.

Get a young guy, basically, and flip him the keys.

That’s basically what Hemphill is

Neither one of them are DC or even co-DC. I'd assume a coordinator at Wake makes more than a position coach at UK, despite SEC and all.

Neither one of them are DC or even co-DC. I'd assume a coordinator at Wake makes more than a position coach at UK, despite SEC and all.

Agree. Also, easier to get a head coaching gig from a coordinator job.

Position coaches at UK are pulling in $400K while stoops makes over $4 million (he'd be the 2nd highest paid coach in the ACC, behind Dabo's $8+ million). Their coordinators are at $825K and $650K. We aren't even paying Clawson $2 million unless he has some performance bonuses for bowl games. Last reported salary I see is $1.8 million in 2017. I have a hard time believing our coordinators are making significantly more than White is making now, unless Clawson has a bigger assistant coach budget than his salary would indicate.

For reference: Pitt pays their head coach slightly more than us, but like us, their assistant salaries aren't listed. State pays their head coach $2.2 million. Their coordinators are making $539K and $454K.

Last edited:
If we're gonna poach coaches, why not look at UCF or Houston?

Position coaches at UK are pulling in $400K while stoops makes over $4 million (he'd be the 2nd highest paid coach in the ACC, behind Dabo's $8+ million). Their coordinators are at $825K and $650K. We aren't even paying Clawson $2 million unless he has some performance bonuses for bowl games. Last reported salary I see is $1.8 million in 2017. I have a hard time believing our coordinators are making significantly more than White is making now, unless Clawson has a bigger assistant coach budget than his salary would indicate.

For reference: Pitt pays their head coach slightly more than us, but like us, their assistant salaries aren't listed. State pays their head coach $2.2 million. Their coordinators are making $539K and $454K.

Dean Hood made $350K at Kentucky last year as he is both the DB coach and the special teams coach; Kentucky's three coordinators (they had co-Offensive Coordinators) and their recruiting coordinator make over $400K. Everyone else, except the OL coach, makes $300K or less. Think that WF could pay its DC more than that. Here is the link to NCAA Football assistant salaries from last year: Clemson DC Brent Venables essentially makes the same as Clawson: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

I'm guessing it will be Dave Cohen when it's all said and done.

I'm not sure how he's earned that job with the defensive performance since Sawvel was let go.

I'm not sure how he's earned that job with the defensive performance since Sawvel was let go.

Yeah, if anything, we should clean house on the defensive side, not promote from within.

Yeah, if anything, we should clean house on the defensive side, not promote from within.

Cohen is the only one left from when Elko was DC. Hemphill, Sherrod, Gilmore and McEntire have all joinrd the staff since Elko and Clark Lea departed. So there was a nearly complete turnover when Sawvel was hired. Unfortunately, it seems necessary for that to happen again soon

Wow, what I would give to see the Deacs get Dean Hood back. He was a really good one. Eastern Kentucky screwed up firing him. I'm petty sure they have figured that out.

Wow, what I would give to see the Deacs get Dean Hood back. He was a really good one. Eastern Kentucky screwed up firing him. I'm petty sure they have figured that out.

Might be tough for Clawson to want another Grobe assistant around.

Have heard only great things about Cohen. The DL has been a team strength for awhile, and he has been a good recruiter for the program. Not saying he should be the DC going forward, just that it's not in WF's interest to fire him.

Perhaps, he will save his HC job at Charlotte (Charlotte is 4-5, but will be dogs in their final 3), but if he does not, Brad Lambert has built an impressive defense at Charlotte. They held the Vols to 192 yards and 14 points last Saturday. One of TN's two scores came on a punt return. TN had 11 offensive possessions and scored on one.

Last edited:
Perhaps, he will save his HC job at Charlotte (Charlotte is 4-5, but will be dogs in their final 3), but if he does not, Brad Lambert has built an impressive defense at Charlotte. They held the Vols to 192 yards and 14 points last Saturday. One of TN's two scores came on a punt return. TN had 11 offensive possessions and scored on one.

Was that done by Lambert or his DC and defensive staff?

Glen Spencer is DC and linebackers coach there. Previously at OK St. Also coached at Duke and GATech as DB coach.
Or Chip West. Co DC and cornerbacks coach. Formerly at UVA as DB coach.

Both guys have 20+ years of coaching experience.

Was that done by Lambert or his DC and defensive staff?

Glen Spencer is DC and linebackers coach there. Previously at OK St. Also coached at Duke and GATech as DB coach.
Or Chip West. Co DC and cornerbacks coach. Formerly at UVA as DB coach.

Both guys have 20+ years of coaching experience.

There may be room for more than one hire among the WF defensive coaches.

David Reeves from UAB has his team having a top season statistically. Despite the loss Bryan Brown has App State near the top in all statistics too. Probably the top 2 non-P5 teams statistically on defense this year are UAB and App State.

Even more impressive when you consider the 2 year death penalty they gave themselves. I know they haven't been scheduling murderers row, but they lost anybody with any shred of talent to other teams during that time and had to start from scratch. Bill Clark is the absolute man. He busted his ass after they lost the team, getting out into the community, raising money and shedding light on how dirty the football politics in Alabama really were (and still are).

Back