• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Coach To Keep An Eye On?

I would rather have that than a guy who has coached at elon or davidson.

Interesting. I'd rather have a guy who has actually been responsible for leading, even if it's at a smaller program. I'd be weary of an assistant who has remained on the bench of a big-time program without being offered and/or taking a head coaching gig at lower levels. The job of assistant coach and head coach just aren't similar enough for me to want Wake to be a guinea pig. A coaching staff is more like a very small business, i.e. one leader and a bunch of employees, than a large corporation with a CEO and a tree of leaders below him. The only way to get head coaching experience is to become a head coach, IMO.

Interesting. I'd rather have a guy who has actually been responsible for leading, even if it's at a smaller program. I'd be weary of an assistant who has remained on the bench of a big-time program without being offered and/or taking a head coaching gig at lower levels. The job of assistant coach and head coach just aren't similar enough for me to want Wake to be a guinea pig. A coaching staff is more like a very small business, i.e. one leader and a bunch of employees, than a large corporation with a CEO and a tree of leaders below him. The only way to get head coaching experience is to become a head coach, IMO.

An assistant coach is VERY involved in the development of his team. On any given game, during a time out, you can see asst. coaches running out to an individual player to talk about a play, or move, etc. I say I would take a big time program, for that exact reason, it's a big time program where they have had the chance to develop a lot of players on a big stage, under a likey strong coach/mentor. imo

An assistant coach is VERY involved in the development of his team. On any given game, during a time out, you can see asst. coaches running out to an individual player to talk about a play, or move, etc. I say I would take a big time program, for that exact reason, it's a big time program where they have had the chance to develop a lot of players on a big stage, under a likey strong coach/mentor. imo

Fair enough. Going back to my analogy, the employees of a small business are very involved in the development of the company as well...but they aren't the one's responsible for making the important decisions, setting overall strategy, hiring/firing other employees, delegating who is responsible for what, etc, etc. The assistant coaches are very involved with the players in timeouts, but the decision to call the timeout is on the head coach. The ultimate decision on the focuses and strategies the assistants are relaying to the players in a timeout were approved by the head coach. The decision of who to offer a scholarship to comes down to the head coach, as well as the decision of the type of players to focus on. The hiring of assistants with various strengths and the jobs they are given is on the head coach. I'd still take a guy with actual experience doing those things who is a proven leader and experienced delegater over someone who is a career assistant at a big-time program.

You'd be wrong. If we tossed $2.5-3.5M at a coach they will come. Wake is still a premier program. We were #1 in the nation in the late 00s. Coaches understand this.

If we could get Shaka or Stevens for that kind of money, I'd be all for it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see WFU make a HUGE splash hire. I just don't see Wellman doing it. He could have done it 3 years ago with a better chance of success. *IF* the 3 year torture of Bzzz results in Wellman growing a pair and making a bold hire like Shaka, then I might be willing to say the Bzz experiment was a success.

I'm all in for a big hire @ WFU for head BBall coach.

I just don't see a "big" hire happening here. We've never done it before, and I can't see it happening now.

We went after the big name hire three years ago (Stevens). It didn't work out. Like Pilch said, we need to have a longer list than just "Shaka and Stevens!!!!!" Because if you throw a ton of cash at those guys and they turn you down, you don't want to be caught with your pants down and hire another Bzz.

I'm on the Gregg Marshall bandwagon. Only negative I see is slow pace, but if we win I don't give a damn.

1zlvk82.jpg

How much truth to the "Gregg Marshall is kind of a scumbag and not the guy Wake would hire"? Not that I care b/c I would love to hire a guy like this.

Matheny was lead recruiter on Steph Curry at Davidson. Next year is his year to win at Elon with the four juniors going to be seniors (barring anyone hiring him away next year). They will probably be the favorite to win the SoCon. He is a high-energy but not over the top. He is extremely good with the media and fan-base. Very engaging. He is a North Carolina native and fits in well in the state. He has turned around the program at Elon and has really engaged the students and fans.

Obviously he spent 16 years working and learning from one of the best coaches in the country at Davidson under McKillop. He knows how to run a program and has taken the Davidson system to Elon. Would that translate to Wake? I would think so, but he isn't going to be the "big splash" name that many fans would want. Obviously with [Redacted] probably saving his job for another year, a year from now, should Elon continue to improve and have those juniors improve and win the SoCon as seniors, Matheny would be more of a "big splash" name next spring. He would probably bring two assistants over, one as an assistant, maybe one as an operations and then go and hire two high-level recruiters to help with that transition.

I think that next year, he is someone that we would be very happy to hire...should we have an opening that is.

If we make the right offer Shaka is absolutely available. Here are some reasons:

1. ACC will be the best basketball conference in the country by a wide margin.
2. He likes the idea of a small academic school (he turned down IL and State for this reason)
3. A-10 is about to implode due to the BE Catholic 7 league.
4. We have the money

The reason he would stay is us being a consistent Top 10-15 team would leave nowhere better to go. He's not going to get the job at Duke or Carowhina.

Shaka will have already made his move by 2016 when we're in the market for a new coach

This is the year we will have the best chance at him.

Pretty sure that with a 1-24 three year road record that we'll be in the market for a new coach in just two weeks!

We went after the big name hire three years ago (Stevens). It didn't work out. Like Pilch said, we need to have a longer list than just "Shaka and Stevens!!!!!" Because if you throw a ton of cash at those guys and they turn you down, you don't want to be caught with your pants down and hire another Bzz.

The Michael White thread has a nice list.

DO NOT WANT Jay Wright, never been impressed with him teams or his recruiting.
Plus when was the last time he had a tournament run? He is at a major institution in a power conference and we should scrutinize his post season record.

Marshall, Smart, and Stevens all have a proven track record of post season success.

Back