• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A company called 'Silver Chalice' has taken ownership of all of my YouTube videos...

Chris

Reaction score
A company called ‘Silver Chalice’ is now making false copyright claims on my YouTube videos, taking ownership of my videos and all profits associated with the monetization of said videos. Their claim is, because I was at an Atlantic Coast Conference event (Wake games), all video and pictures shot at said events is theirs. There is no mention of this on my ticket stub. This seems pretty far-fetched... that any and all pictures and video taking by fans in attendance is the property of the ACC (or Silver Chalice). Are they right? How can I get ownership of my videos back? What kind of lawyer do I need?

Example: They claim they own this video. The video is able to stay uploaded because I have 'disputed' it through YouTube but everything on Google says it doesn't do any good. They basically just email they company and say, "Are you sure?"

Last edited:
My understanding is that is true under the new TV deal - but not for the previous one (i.e - the current ACC Network TV deal - which Silver Chalice provides the technical portion of, but not the older deal). Your video would fall under the older deal, and you'd own the rights.

There was a ton of news coverage around this kind of thing in 2009 when the SEC set new media and fan policies - IIRC, the similar ACC policies went into affect a bit later on. Would be worth looking into.

A company called ‘Silver Chalice’ is now making false copyright claims on my YouTube videos, taking ownership of my videos and all profits associated with the monetization of said videos. Their claim is, because I was at an Atlantic Coast Conference event (Wake games), all video and pictures shot at said events is theirs. There is no mention of this on my ticket stub. This seems pretty far-fetched... that any and all pictures and video taking by fans in attendance is the property of the ACC (or Silver Chalice). Are they right? How can I get ownership of my videos back? What kind of layer do I need?

Example: They claim they own this video. The video is able to stay uploaded because I have 'disputed' it through YouTube but everything on Google says it doesn't do any good. They basically just email they company and say, "Are you sure?"

who would claim ownership to that crappy video? Looks like it was flimed by a blind man with the DTs.

I had a similar issue. Youtube doesn't have an option to dispute the claim under grounds that the entity making the claim has no legal basis so my go to dispute type is "fair use" and claim the use is for discussion/criticism/parody. Yours is different since it's your own video that you shot. The tickets and WF's own website of stadium rules states nothing about recordings being the property of WF/third parties. They do prohibit video cameras but do not mention not allowing shooting video from cameras/phones. I would think that they might have a right to make you remove the video but claiming ownership/copyright violations seems unwarranted.

But I did successfully beat a copyright claim on there for Summer Overture under public domain grounds. Some dumb band used the song in their song so they tried to say I used their song instead of Mozart's one, Youtube released the claim as invalid.

Wait, how exactly were you planning to monetize your hand-held iPhone video?

i have it on good authority the Silver Chalice LLC is registered to a certain HOPS in Charlotte, NC

Chris, this isn't going to end well for you.

Any copyrightable material defaults to being owned by the person who created it. In this case, you, the person who shot the video. The question is, what do they think it is that overrides that default - what gives them ownership instead of you? We are all under notice that a TV broadcast is owned by the company broadcasting it - so that if we videotape it, even though we made the tape, they would own it - or at least control what we can do with it.

In this case, if they want to claim ownership of any pictures or video taken in person at a game, it seems like they would at least have to put the crowd on notice of that fact?

Can you respond to YouTube stating that you personally created this video? If so, it seems like that would put the burden on them to establish with YouTube that they have rights that supersede yours as the creator of the material.

Last edited:
In this case, if that want to claim ownership of any pictures or video taken in person at a game, it seems like they would at least have to put the crowd on notice of that fact?

I wonder if someone made a video of their kid at the game if Silver Chalice could claim ownership. This all sounds unAmerican and possibly communist (my go to term for things that might be unAmerican). Chris shot that unwatchable video, it belongs to him.

I wonder if someone made a video of their kid at the game if Silver Chalice could claim ownership. This all sounds unAmerican and possibly communist (my go to term for things that might be unAmerican). Chris shot that unwatchable video, it belongs to him.

:laugh: Exactly! And fantastic point about the "family videos" being taken at the games.

Back