• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A dog just showed up at my house

If I had to guess, lectro is fugly ugly, hide in the basement apartment with hungry neighborhood stray dogs and a jar of store brand peanut butter fugly.

Be careful with Cocker Spaniels. They can be very protective of owners and aggressive towards other dogs. My mother has two cock a poos and they are both total nut cases.

Be careful with Cocker Spaniels. They can be very protective of owners and aggressive towards other dogs. My mother has two cock a poos and they are both total nut cases.

beavis-and-butthead-return-to-mtv.gif

huh... he said cock.

Pretty cute. We've never had one. My wife isn't a big pet lover, but my kids love dogs, and my youngest (11) has wanted one for years. A friend's neighbor has a one year old, potty trained yorkshire terrier/cocker spaniel mix for which they're looking for a good home. Evidently, they keep him in a cage round the clock. He's at our house for a one day trial. Kids are going crazy. Wife, not so much. What should I expect out of yorkies/cocker spaniels? He's a bit of a spaz, but not in a bad way. Pretty well behaved, though highly energetic. Photos to come.

I hope you're ready to take care of a puppy, because if your wife is the one who ends up having to take care of it, you might regret it in a big way. Kids will promise the world to convince you to take him but you can't expect them to take full responsibility of a pet for 12-15 years...

I hope you're ready to take care of a puppy, because if your wife is the one who ends up having to take care of it, you might regret it in a big way. Kids will promise the world to convince you to take him but you can't expect them to take full responsibility of a pet for 12-15 years...

Exactly. That's the reason my oldest is 18 and has never had a dog. However, our 11 year old isn't playing soccer all over the east coast, like the other two. She has different interests - like animals...and it's not a puppy. He's housebroken, well trained, and one year old.

Exactly. That's the reason my oldest is 18 and has never had a dog. However, our 11 year old isn't playing soccer all over the east coast, like the other two. She has different interests - like animals...and it's not a puppy. He's housebroken, well trained, and one year old.

So when the youngest goes to college, it's on you and your wife.

#subtlebrag

#assuglydog

So when the youngest goes to college, it's on you and your wife.

Good point, Ph, but you're a parent, right? My youngest just finished 5th grade. Should we really make decisions like that now based on her leaving for college in 7 years? Seems a bit odd. I probably shouldn't have purchased a 5 BR house years ago because the kids will eventually leave for college.

True, but you said your oldest was too busy for you all to get a dog and your wife doesn't want to be the one to take care of it. That's also a relevant problem if your 11 year old starts becoming more active.

Sorry if I misread your posts, but it sounded like that was your decision process about not having a dog before.

True, but you said your oldest was too busy for you all to get a dog and your wife doesn't want to be the one to take care of it. That's also a relevant problem if your 11 year old starts becoming more active.

Sorry if I misread your posts, but it sounded like that was your decision process about not having a dog before.

I did? I don't think I mentioned my oldest, though she's out of the equation as she leaves for college in five weeks. You're correct about responsibility, but I guess my feeling is that if you always worry about "what ifs," you'll never do anything. Our youngest pretty clearly loves animals and that's not going to change. Certainly not something I'm taking lightly, but now that we won't be traveling every weekend to soccer tournaments, it's less of an issue.

I did? I don't think I mentioned my oldest, though she's out of the equation as she leaves for college in five weeks. You're correct about responsibility, but I guess my feeling is that if you always worry about "what ifs," you'll never do anything. Our youngest pretty clearly loves animals and that's not going to change. Certainly not something I'm taking lightly, but now that we won't be traveling every weekend to soccer tournaments, it's less of an issue.

??? You basically did say that because of your oldest girl's soccer schedule, you hadn't gotten a dog yet. I hope this thread isn't going the way of USC where you are basically looking for affirmation of your decision and get offended to anyone who disagrees.

I actually think I have played out what is happening in your family right now. I wanted a dog pretty much my entire childhood - for as long as I can remember. My mom came up with all the reasons under the moon why we couldn't get one (not a big enough yard, don't want one that sheds, don't want to get fleas, who's going to take care of it, etc.). That just motivated me to research and find the "perfect" breed to fit her qualifications. When I was a freshman in high school, a rescue dog just happened to come across our path through a neighbor.

My mom thought I wouldn't like it because it was a little scraggly dog (not little compared to yours, but still), so she said I could get it. I said yes. I trained the dog, and the dog knows I am in charge... but 12 years later, after I've gone to college, the dog sleeps at the foot of my mom's bed, and while I pay for 1/2 her vet bills and she still knows I'm in charge when I'm around, etc., my mom is largely the one who takes care of her.

Thankfully my mom ended up loving my dog. She never thought it would happen but she's become a member of the family. So, it has certainly worked out for us... but if your wife is adamant about not getting a dog, I'm just saying that you should be prepared to take care of him because your kids are not going to be reliable/around for 12-15 years and it wouldn't be fair to your wife (or good for your marriage, probably!) for her to end up taking care of the dog.

Back