• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A little trip down memory lane courtesy of NC State...

Well this one is right: "^ search lasts 1 week, tops."

Damn the culture sounded terrible

“Dino has made contributions to this program over the last 10 seasons. He stepped into a difficult situation at a very trying time when Skip Prosser passed away and he steadied the program.

“But from a competitive standpoint, it has been disappointing that we have developed a pattern of not playing well late in the season and in the postseason. Wake Forest has a proud history of basketball success but we have not been as competitive in the postseason as we would like.”

Damn the culture sounded terrible

“Dino has made contributions to this program over the last 10 seasons. He stepped into a difficult situation at a very trying time when Skip Prosser passed away and he steadied the program.

“But from a competitive standpoint, it has been disappointing that we have developed a pattern of not playing well late in the season and in the postseason. Wake Forest has a proud history of basketball success but we have not been as competitive in the postseason as we would like.”

If you step in while we're recovering from a great coach dying, we'll thank you by packing your office stuff for you!

I like this quote from StateFan. I wonder what he would say now...

"I will tell you what else is going on here…Ron Wellman rocks and doesn’t put up with failing to live up to standards and under performing.

How much do you want to bet that he is already prepared and this ‘search’ will be smooth? (if there is a search at all)."

And this one from WIFF...

"I’ve watched about 5 minutes of this presser and I already want to throw up. The difference between the professionalism of Wake’s AD and ours is not even measurable. Congratulations Wake. You will have a solid basketball program as long as Wellman is in charge. SFN, can we get a transcript of this presser so we can highlight the relevant bits and send it to Woodson?"

But Ncsufan13 saw all the way to the truth even then...

“WHAT?!?! With 2 NCAA Tournaments in 3 years?!?!? And our fans are unrealistic”
The answer is obvious. Ron Wellman is part of the lunatic fringe.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that Wellman had done everything right, up to the point that he hired Bzz. Dino needed to go, and he made the right call. He just totally fucked up every single thing that he did after that.

no he didn't. Read the post directly above yours. I'll fight this fight till my dying day.

To this day I think Wellman had a bigger name in the bag, but that name jumped ship on him before it was announced. This happened with The Odom hire, Gene Barlow was anounced to the players but he then backed out and Odom was hired.. I

"Bartow" and we dodged a bullet on that one. Bartow would not have gotten Wake to where Odom took us. Not at that time.

"Bartow" and we dodged a bullet on that one. Bartow would not have gotten Wake to where Odom took us. Not at that time.

I agree with with you on that, and sorry spelling mixed with Typeing never a strength. But I still believe 100% that we had a big name coach ready to take the leap and something changed. Buzz was not the 1st choice.

He (Brad Stevens) may actually be available soon- watched he and his Butler team last night get soundly beat by X.

I intended to play off 94's "dodged a bullet" statement. But since we have Buzz, there's no way to make it fit. There is no alternate universe that will ever exist where the statement could be made that we "dodged a bullet" by getting Buzz instead of Stevens...

Anyone that still holds onto the notion that Wellman did the right thing by firing Dino when he fired him just isn't dealing with reality. Wellman not only hired the wrong man, he fired the current coach at the exact wrong time. You simply can't fire a coach unless he has done one of two things:

1. Not won games (clearly Dino had great success as the coach of WFU despite his post season struggles. His winning percentage was close to .700)
2. Become involved in a PUBLIC off the court scandal. There are all sorts of rumors about Dino sleeping around, but unless it became public you have to let it slide initially.

What Wellman did was set our next coach up to fail. He multiplied his firing failure with a hiring failure that pretty much anyone with a basketball brain could see coming a mile a way. Dino was a decent college coach and a very good recruiter. We replaced him with a poor college coach and a poor recruiter. Why are we surprised that we are terrible? Unfortunately for the fanbase Wellman realizes that he will ride or die with Bz, so he almost can't fire him. We are stuck in the meantime with an inferior product that is slowly chipping away at the foundation of our once proud basketball program.

The sooner that our administration realizes this and replaces Wellman, the sooner our new AD will be able to come in and hire a new basketball coach. Until that point it is a waiting game. A very painful waiting game.

People can talk about all the good that Wellman has done, but hiring a basketball coach that most people thought would fail and destroying the basketball program in the process is unforgivable.

Anyone that still holds onto the notion that Wellman did the right thing by firing Dino when he fired him just isn't dealing with reality. Wellman not only hired the wrong man, he fired the current coach at the exact wrong time. You simply can't fire a coach unless he has done one of two things:

1. Not won games (clearly Dino had great success as the coach of WFU despite his post season struggles. His winning percentage was close to .700)
2. Become involved in a PUBLIC off the court scandal. There are all sorts of rumors about Dino sleeping around, but unless it became public you have to let it slide initially.

What Wellman did was set our next coach up to fail. He multiplied his firing failure with a hiring failure that pretty much anyone with a basketball brain could see coming a mile a way. Dino was a decent college coach and a very good recruiter. We replaced him with a poor college coach and a poor recruiter. Why are we surprised that we are terrible? Unfortunately for the fanbase Wellman realizes that he will ride or die with Bz, so he almost can't fire him. We are stuck in the meantime with an inferior product that is rapidly destroying the foundation of our once proud basketball program.

The sooner that our administration realizes this and replaces Wellman, the sooner our new AD will be able to come in and hire a new basketball coach. Until that point it is a waiting game. A very painful waiting game.

This was very well stated with one small exception. So I FIFY...

The only way you fire Dino is if you have 100% commitment from Stevens.

I really hope Wellman isn't stuck to the notion that he will 'ride or die' with Buzz. If Wellman can make a respectable HC hire then it will greatly aid with the healing process (for me at least).

Back