• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A POS To The Bitter End

And 66.45% (103 of 155) of our 3 point shooting is graduating (68.67% if you just count conference games).

I seriously have no idea who is going to make 3 pointers for us next year. We're gonna be so easy to defend.

need to press/trap much more the next year to generate transition opportunities. we should have plenty of depth and enough athleticism and length to make it work

For what it's worth, his statement is accurate that we are in a better spot than last year. That said, we are still eons away from where we should be and he brought the success of Odom/Skip/Dino to a screeching halt.

Can't agree with this.

[Redacted] said he believes his team has made progress from last season, despite an identical 6-12 ACC record.
“Nine of our players are freshmen and sophomores, and we haven’t shown the consistent mental toughness to win on the road,” the Deacons’ coach said. “But I think our guys are beginning to understand.
“Yeah, we’re 6-12 in the league like we were last year. But we’ve got some really good recruits coming in, and we’ve got two key players injured (forwards Greg McClinton and Daniel Green). We are in a better place this year than we were last year.”

You misspelled Souwfmores. Also we he references the "two keys players" the media member is "uhh, who's that now?"

We are in a better place, yet we still have the same conference record.

Nah, students are on spring break this week. Firing him before next Sunday would help prevent a massive quad rolling celebration, although I'm sure the local alums and townies would step up.

Can I come. :woot: The last time I rolled the quad was back in the mid 60's.

How did you reach that conclusion?

Last year we were 13-18 (6-10), 134th in the nation, were 5-10 against the nation's top 100, and were losing our most used player to graduation (both in terms of minutes and possession percent).

This year we were 16-15 (6-10), 118th in the nation, were 7-13 against the nation's top 100, and are not losing our most used player to graduation.

Aside from the on-court play, Shelton is expected to have a bigger impact than Overton/McClinton, particulalry since we knew at this time last year that McClinton was likely going to miss most/all of this season.

We are still a very long way from where we should be, and I am as anti-[Redacted] as anyone else, but we are technically in a better spot than we were last year.

Last year we were 13-18 (6-10), 134th in the nation, were 5-10 against the nation's top 100, and were losing our most used player to graduation (bothin terms of minutes and possession percent).
This year we were 16-15 (6-10), 118th in the nation, were 7-13 against the nation's top 100, and are not losing our most used player to graduation.

*** I edited the following from it's original state, because as you can see in my quoted text in Waldo's response... I erred in communicating my point in multiple ways.****

This is laughable to use in your argument. Comparing the loss of Travis and CJ isn't exactly proving your point on its own, but are you forgetting entirely about Coron?

2013's team lost guys who were on the court 82% and 35.4% of the time, respectively.
2014's team is already guaranteed to lose players who were on the court 72.9% and 62% of the time, respectively.

Step your proof game up, son.

Last edited:
This is laughable to use in your argument. Comparing the loss of Travis and CJ isn't exactly proving your point on its own, but are you forgetting entirely about Coron?

A year ago we didn't know that Coron was going to be part of our team, so we weren't "returning" Coron. You can't use him in the argument of whether we are better off now or a year ago.

Last edited:
Last year's team lost 117.4 minutes per game to graduation
This year's team is losing 134.9 minutes per game to graduation

Step your proof game up, son.

Where the hell are these numbers coming from? The only player we lost last year from graduation was CJ Harris, who played 32.8 minutes per game. Chase Fisher (who transferred), played 14.2 minutes per game. This year we graduate Travis (29.3 minutes) and Coron (24.9 minutes).

Step your addition game up, son.

Where the hell are these numbers coming from? The only player we lost last year from graduation was CJ Harris, who played 32.8 minutes per game. Chase Fisher (who transferred), played 14.2 minutes per game. This year we graduate Travis (29.3 minutes) and Coron (24.9 minutes).

Step your addition game up, son.

Wow, I made several goofs there...

1- I intended to refer to players leaving not graduating

and

2- I was using % of minutes played instead of minutes played. (It made sense when using it to compare singular players... In this case Travis and CJ.... When I threw in Chase and Coron, things went haywire... posting from phone, will clean up later maybe kk)

Exactly so, for the near term. It will take years to dig out of this hole. We will be worse next year than this year. There is no other logical conclusion.

Dirk, I know I went on the record a long fucking time ago and said this was a LOST DECADE.

The dwarves attacked.

The dust has settled

There's a full MOON above this cluster fuck.

Statistically, this has been one of his best seasons as a head coach. The only problem is that he is an abysmal failure as head coach with a sub-500 career record.

Not to mention the ACC is not very good with only 5 NCAA teams and no #1 seeds. We beat the Big Four teams at home which shows we can [;ay well but the coaching staff can't show them & hasn't showed them how to have the mental toughness over the past 4 years of how to win on the road. It is time for a good house cleaning. The only one with any fire on that bench is Randolph.

A year ago we didn't know that Coron was going to be part of our team, so we weren't "returning" Coron. You can't use him in the argument of whether we are better off now or a year ago.

Yes. Yes, you can.

Coron was officially a part of the team by May 1, 2013. I cannot think of a single assessment or prediction of our 2013-2014 roster that did not include a projection of Coron's impact.

Past roster shakeups happen within that timeline. The college basketball season ends on April 7, Carson transferred in May, Anthony and Tony in April, etc.

Are we in a better place? I don't think so.

We lose Travis and Coron - the only perimeter players who can make a shot on our team.

Is Shelton ready to start? I don't know. The kid hasn't played in a long time and freshmen PG are always a tossup. If he can't, then Codi is our starting PG again.

If Codi is our starting PG again, then our SG rotation is Miles and Rondale. Possibly Greg, but Greg doesn't have the reputation as a shooter and hasn't played in a long time. If Codi is our PG, then Miles Overton is our best bet at SG. Let that sink in. Even if he isn't, then our best bet at SG is a guy who is shooting 9.4% from deep in conference. Let that sink in.

If Greg is starting caliber, then great. If not and far more likely, then who is playing SF? Bill improved a lot, but is best at PF, IMO. Likewise, Greg is going to be raw regardless and Aaron should transfer.

If Bill has to start at SF and log minutes on the wing, then what is our post rotation? Tyler is improving, but is awful on defense, doesn't rebound, and has a streaky jumper. He's our only PF at the moment. Let that sink in.

Our center rotation includes Devin, a guy who has no business playing in the ACC, and a guy who has missed two years with two ACL tears. Let that sink in.

Simply put, we have junior Devin and Codi to look forward to, as well as the hopeful continued development of roleplayers like Cav and Bill. Is that better than a foundation featuring a CJ and a Travis? Hell, a Travis and a Coron?

Short of hiring Mike D'Antoni, I honestly don't see how you can take a look at what we have coming back next year and say that we'll be in an objectively better place than we were coming into the 2012-2013 and/or 2013-2014 seasons.

Reactions: Ayo
Dude, you lost credibility in your first sentence when you failed to realize that we're still seven weeks away from May 1. It continued through the end when you implied that D'antoni is a good coach (he's obviously better than buzz, but any coach we hire will be).

The flaws you mentioned are all flaws with our current team. If anything, our players should improve from their sophomore to junior year. From this time last year to this time this year, we are basically trading McKie and Chase for Shelton, McClinton, and a year of experience for every other returning contributor.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Dude, you lost credibility in your first sentence when you failed to realize that we're still seven weeks away from May 1. It continued through the end when you implied that D'antoni is a good coach (he's obviously better than buzz, but any coach we hire will be).

The flaws you mentioned are all flaws with our current team. If anything, our players should improve from their sophomore to junior year. From this time last year to this time this year, we are basically trading McKie and Chase for Shelton, McClinton, and a year of experience for every other returning contributor.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Could you please explain what May 1 being 7 weeks away does to compromise my larger point? I'm saying that Coron "returning" was absolutely (and rightfully) a consideration in evaluation of our team's prospects at the end of last season.

In regards to D'Antoni - have you ever watched what the guy can do with a motely crew of undertalented guys who you wouldn't think could play together? Dude can't coach talent, but he can make maligned PG Boris Diaw into one of the best centers in the Western Conference, 3rd stringers Kendall Marshall and Xavier Henry, Wes Johnson, etc. into a fairly entertaining and competitive group.

My point is that we're going to be an ill-fitting roster without much in the way of compatible talent next year. That's not improvement. Unless some guys transfer and we land a DeAndre Kane-style transfer, our foundation going into next season is going to be hot garbage.

What makes you think our guys will improve substantially from years 2-3 if they did not improve substantially from years 1-2. They should improve, but they should have improved this year. They didn't. And that lack of improvement, relative to what one would expect from guys ranked as our guys were in 2012, is really not surprising.

Like I wrote and what you evidently chose not to read, placing significant expectations on three guys coming back from serious knee injuries and who haven't played competitive basketball before is about as smart as putting your faith in a seven man class consisting of two fringe top-100 players, two diamonds in the rough, and three scrubs.

We're in a better place because he is almost gone. Thursday morning? One can hope. . .

Back