• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A. T. Perry Appreciation Thread

The thing I remember most about that Clemson blowout win was Clemson finally got a drive going when it was 45-0, it stalled and Tammy Bowden sent out the field goal team and cut the score to 45-3. The Clemson fans erupted in boos and Bowden was pretty much fired right then and there while the game was still going on

The thing I remember most about that Clemson blowout win was Clemson finally got a drive going when it was 45-0, it stalled and Tammy Bowden sent out the field goal team and cut the score to 45-3. The Clemson fans erupted in boos and Bowden was pretty much fired right then and there while the game was still going on

Except it would take a loss to us 5 years later to seal the deal

Remember when we were wondering who would step up to fill the void with Greene getting injured? A.T. Perry is roughly on pace to eclipse last year's receiving yards from Greene, himself, and all the other wide receivers that caught a pass last year combined. And yesterday with 3 TD's he tied all of their scores for the season combined. Granted we were a couple games short last year on the schedule but still, that's some serious stepping up. Incredible, really.

Sam dropped it in there where he could catch the ball and stay in bounds and he was the only one who could catch it I don't think that was a bad throw.

AT Perry is tied for 6th in the country in receiving TDs with 7 TDs in only 23 receptions.

He’s 5 behind Kenny Duckett in 1980 for the season record of 12.

Here’s some evidence how much our WRs have improved under Clawson. Through the whole history of Wake football until 1995, six players had 3 TDs in a game.

Camp had 3 TDs against BC in 2012.

Since 2017, we’ve had 7 games in which a player had 3+ TDs, at least one a year including Dortch with 4 twice.

Sam dropped it in there where he could catch the ball and stay in bounds and he was the only one who could catch it I don't think that was a bad throw.

This. Especially since it was in OT and a pick loses the game instantly. Syracuse had a bull rush going about to run into Hartman, he threw it off his back foot and dropped it back left corner end zone with enough loft to get it over the shoulder of the defender. The defender was only beaten by maybe a step and did a great job getting his arm up to make it tough on Perry to see the ball - Perry made an unreal adjustment to snag it. An average QB feels the pressure and throws that ball out of bounds. An NFL QB zips one to the back pylon. Hartman put it in a good spot with great trajectory and gave his guy a chance to make a play. Really capped off what seemed like a game where Hartman was never comfortable, took a lot of hits, was rushed constantly, didn't have a reliable ground game helping him, and struggled throwing it a bit. But part of what separates good players from elite players is winning when you only have your B game, and Hartman continues to come up big in less-than-ideal scenarios.

Ehhh he could have hit him over the shoulder as well. That was all AT.

This. Especially since it was in OT and a pick loses the game instantly. Syracuse had a bull rush going about to run into Hartman, he threw it off his back foot and dropped it back left corner end zone with enough loft to get it over the shoulder of the defender. The defender was only beaten by maybe a step and did a great job getting his arm up to make it tough on Perry to see the ball - Perry made an unreal adjustment to snag it. An average QB feels the pressure and throws that ball out of bounds. An NFL QB zips one to the back pylon. Hartman put it in a good spot with great trajectory and gave his guy a chance to make a play. Really capped off what seemed like a game where Hartman was never comfortable, took a lot of hits, was rushed constantly, didn't have a reliable ground game helping him, and struggled throwing it a bit. But part of what separates good players from elite players is winning when you only have your B game, and Hartman continues to come up big in less-than-ideal scenarios.

I agree that the ball placement wasn't really a problem. It would have taken an NFL-caliber throw to put it over his shoulder without leading him out-of-bounds.

The issue, IMO, is that he was late throwing the ball. Get it out half a second earlier, and not only is the pass rush less of a factor, but you have plenty of space to lead Perry for an easy over-the-shoulder catch. By the time he let it go, the window where he could place the ball was very small, and it took a contortionist act to reel it in.

Second straight mediocre game from Sam. Maybe the dome was affecting things, but it seems like he's been a little off on his deep balls all year, and that missed TD to Chapman on the first drive... woof. Good coaching and all-around team effort to pull out these last two. We'll need him to be better moving forward, and I don't doubt he will be.

throwing for 654 yards and scoring seven TDs in two games is now mediocre
lowf is dead.
:cool:

You kind of get the feeling Forbes is going to get us rolling...and we will have both Football and hoops rolling at the same time...much like Grobe/Skip days

The issue, IMO, is that he was late throwing the ball. Get it out half a second earlier, and not only is the pass rush less of a factor, but you have plenty of space to lead Perry for an easy over-the-shoulder catch. By the time he let it go, the window where he could place the ball was very small, and it took a contortionist act to reel it in.

I wrote this on another thread, but Perry said in the postgame that he was supposed to cut inside in that play but ended up going outside at the last second. Perhaps that's why Sam is late throwing?

Yeah Perry was looking over his right shoulder but the defender played inside. Sam saw the spot to throw it and put it there, Perry made a great catch. Both players recognized the situation and made it work, but it wasn't a route headed for the corner. Watch the play again at the line, he was getting pressure straight up the middle and the pocket was collapsing on both sides as well.

All this second guessing of Hartman after a 6-0 start is getting ridiculous. Sam "the second coming" Howell just barely threw for 200 yards with a pick against a much worse FSU defense at home in a disastrous loss. Sam "he's just mediocre" Hartman is now 6-0 and threw for over 300 yards and 3 TD's with a game-winning OT walk-off on the road despite sketchy protection all day. It's not some criminal offense to hit an open guy but not lead him enough when you complete the pass - ask Louisville if they wish they had a couple of those overthrows back in our game.

Big difference between saying Hartman has missed a few throws or we've struggled in protection and calling him out as mediocre or underperforming. He's playing high-level football right now, even with the imperfections.

I wrote this on another thread, but Perry said in the postgame that he was supposed to cut inside in that play but ended up going outside at the last second. Perhaps that's why Sam is late throwing?

Maybe, but they're playing a single high safety, so the corner route should be the read.

Yeah Perry was looking over his right shoulder but the defender played inside. Sam saw the spot to throw it and put it there, Perry made a great catch. Both players recognized the situation and made it work, but it wasn't a route headed for the corner. Watch the play again at the line, he was getting pressure straight up the middle and the pocket was collapsing on both sides as well.

All this second guessing of Hartman after a 6-0 start is getting ridiculous. Sam "the second coming" Howell just barely threw for 200 yards with a pick against a much worse FSU defense at home in a disastrous loss. Sam "he's just mediocre" Hartman is now 6-0 and threw for over 300 yards and 3 TD's with a game-winning OT walk-off on the road despite sketchy protection all day. It's not some criminal offense to hit an open guy but not lead him enough when you complete the pass - ask Louisville if they wish they had a couple of those overthrows back in our game.

Big difference between saying Hartman has missed a few throws or we've struggled in protection and calling him out as mediocre or underperforming. He's playing high-level football right now, even with the imperfections.

If by "the defender" you mean the cornerback, this is clearly and indisputably wrong. Yes, there is a single high safety, who is, by definition, inside, but that was easily visible pre-snap. Syracuse is obviously showing man free with a single high safety. That should be a cue already that the route needs to go to the outside.

6YuhsYK.png

As indicated, Syracuse mans up after the snap. The safety has dropped off the screen in the deep middle. Syracuse brings five on the rush. Our RB stayed in to block, so his defender drifts in the middle of the field as a spy/underneath zone. You can clearly see Perry's man is playing outside leverage, because that's what you do with a single high safety--funnel the receiver to your help in the middle of the field. That should confirm that they're in man free and that Perry needs to go to the corner.

ks4gBYE

As the play develops, it's even clearer the corner is playing outside leverage, with his arm on Perry's outside (left shoulder). You can also see Whiteheart running down the middle of the field, in what appears to be a deep route (he's 10+ yards downfield by the end of the play), which would be another reason for Perry to turn it outside.

ks4gBYE.png

Just before he leaves the screen, Perry's man still playing outside leverage. Perry also seems to have rubbed Roberson's defender, who is likewise on his outside shoulder. The pocket is still good and Sam is still clean here. There are 10 Syracuse defenders on-screen (5 rushing the passer, 1 in that semi-zone/spy, and 4 manned up), with the high safety off-screen in the middle of the field.

Yi7BLIn.png

Maybe the route was originally designed to go up the middle, but the read looks pretty clear to me, and Sam doesn't let go of the ball until almost 2 seconds later. No one's saying that Sam is just mediocre or underperforming--I find it's a sign that you don't have much of an argument when you have to argue against what people don't say. He's a good to very good college quarterback, but has had, by his standards, a couple of mediocre performances.

For the record, I would say the touchdown pass to Perry was a good, solid play. It could have been better, but had a lot more room to be worse, and a majority of college QBs wouldn't be able to make it. His problems in this game were more on the deep balls and the horrible miss against Chapman that I was very worried was going to come back to bite us.

Last edited:
FWIW...I swear I thought Perry said post-game the route was not to the corner.

In full disclosure I was enjoying a celebratory Buffalo Trace on the rocks and so there's that

FWIW...I swear I thought Perry said post-game the route was not to the corner.

In full disclosure I was enjoying a celebratory Buffalo Trace on the rocks and so there's that
Perry did say something to that effect.

Interesting analysis, OGB.

I remember how cool it was to hear Phonz describe moment by moment what was happening on that famous Maryland interception: a ton of really complex analysis of formations and possibilities and what it came down to was a moment of instinct

Perry did say something to that effect.

Interesting analysis, OGB.

I remember how cool it was to hear Phonz describe moment by moment what was happening on that famous Maryland interception: a ton of really complex analysis of formations and possibilities and what it came down to was a moment of instinct

And I'm certainly not disputing that. Good read by Perry and Hartman to change it up

Back