• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A website design question

Which would you prefer on the landing page of a website?

• Buttons with drop downs

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Buttons and a slideshow

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • numbers/doofus

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RJ took a thread where he was asking for advice on his website, and turned into another Victim Thread because someone link to the website he was talking about in his OP.

Seriously. Like that actually just happened.

We have changed the current front page to let people know about the Beta.

Don't go with a slider as a primary tool for navigation. That's bad UI. Users don't want to sit and wait to figure out where to go. They want to click links and get there themselves.

I think its okay to have an autoplay slider highlighting different features of the site but it shouldn't be the primary source of navigation.

This. Also, I'd avoid the use of dropdowns in the nav menus if at all possible. It introduces accessibility issues for some users and adds a layer of complication that just isn't needed most of the time. It also makes viewing on a touchscreen really weird and clunky if you're not making a mobile version/going the responsive route.

Here's the issue, rj, as regards Racer and your notions of personal property/privacy.

If you were concerned with people seeing your personal information before it's released, then you shouldn't have solicited public opinion for it on a place that is privy to your personal information. Either involve a third party and pay for actual consulting about web design, and keep your users or testers completely in the dark, or don't get upset when people actually try to help you with your website.

Here's the issue, rj, as regards Racer and your notions of personal property/privacy.

If you were concerned with people seeing your personal information before it's released, then you shouldn't have solicited public opinion for it on a place that is privy to your personal information. Either involve a third party and pay for actual consulting about web design, and keep your users or testers completely in the dark, or don't get upset when people actually try to help you with your website.

I truly worry about certain posters here going to my site and acting the same way there as the do here. That's why I asked a general question rather than directing people to the site.

This. Also, I'd avoid the use of dropdowns in the nav menus if at all possible. It introduces accessibility issues for some users and adds a layer of complication that just isn't needed most of the time. It also makes viewing on a touchscreen really weird and clunky if you're not making a mobile version/going the responsive route.

There will be a mobile version and a tablet specific version.

Are sliders easy to use on touch screens?

Are sliders easy to use on touch screens?

On touchscreens, sliders usually take advantage of the swiping gestures to navigate them. I think that's pretty easy and intuitive to use, and judging from their prevalence I'd say most users would agree. I've never done any usability testing with them though so that is purely conjecture on my part. There may also be better patterns to use based on the content you're trying to display, so don't get caught in the trap of using something shiny and cool looking/sounding if there's a simpler pattern to accomplish the same goal.

more sitemap/content drilldowns like this:

zombietax1.jpg

zombietax2.jpg

zombietax3.jpg

I truly worry about certain posters here going to my site and acting the same way there as the do here. That's why I asked a general question rather than directing people to the site.

We can't just go and dish out punishment to posters because you think they might do something. If someone actually threatens to, or infers that they will, interfere in your personal matters in a post on this board, we will address it at that time.

We aren't going to resort to Minority Report style tactics because you are worried too many posters don't like you and might mess up your website.

As far as I'm aware... only the complainer in question has actually threatened to go to somebody's work place and cause mischief. Just because rj thinks about doing it to some people doesn't mean others on here think about doing it to him.

But he is too fucking crazy in the head to understand that.

I wonder what book the club will read first? This reminds me of when professors make you buy their book for the class, except that actually works.

Back