• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Abbate trainer for NFL?

SDeacz

Reaction score
His latest Fbook update;

"Life is to short to not do what your passionate
about...officially moving to South Florida to join top NFL trainer Tony Villani at XPE Sports!"

I believe this means he will train NFL players with Tony. Seems like a great fit for him. Tony V is a very respected trainer.

All the best to him and glad he gets to be around athletes and the game.

Be pretty cool to see Jon back at wake someday as a strength coach.

It says he added it as his "work"...presumably going to be an employee at XPE.

All I know is dude is a freakin BEAST:

273471_1832659231_6965113_n.jpg

sure he is not talking about training to give it another chance?

Could be, although not the way I read it. And I know he's lost a lot of weight from his playing weight.

From that picture he is obviously not built to be a linebacker anymore but trainer makes sense.

From that picture he is obviously not built to be a linebacker anymore but trainer makes sense.

He never was built to be a linebacker at the NFL level. I wish he'd stayed for his senior year. He got some bad advice.

His bad advice translated to a cautionary tale to other NFL Deacs. Worked out alright.

He never was built to be a linebacker at the NFL level. I wish he'd stayed for his senior year. He got some bad advice.

Pretty sure he chose to go to the NFL on his own. The advice was good, and realistic from his agent.

I don't know how bad that advice was. He wasn't going to get any taller or faster. He had a great junior season and a got ton of publicity during the OB run. I don't know that his stock would have been any higher after his senior season. Of course, he did miss out on another year of college, but from an NFL standpoint, leaving early probably didn't impact his status.

He wouldn't have gotten taller, but he definitely could have gotten stronger and faster. More importantly, an extra year of starting 10-11 ACC games would have given him more experience and made him a better player than struggling in training camps and practice squads. It would've also given him more exposure to scouts.

I don't think it would have made a huge difference, but it might have been the difference in him being a 5th or 6th round pick instead of a UFA. That might have made the difference in him being able to stick around the league for another year or two.

Best of luck to him. Sounds like a great opportunity for him.

I know he's lost a lot of weight from his playing weight.

That was my first impression as well. He's really slimmed down, and you can especially tell it in his face.

Best of luck to him. Sounds like a great opportunity for him.

That was my first impression as well. He's really slimmed down, and you can especially tell it in his face.

Since we're on the subject, anybody ever watch the "Palmer and Pollock" show on ESPNU on Monday nights? Didn't David Pollock play D-end for Georgia? He looks like he can't weight more than 200lbs now, if that.

I sure (I hope) it's not the case, but when you see guy's bodies change so much, you wonder a little about PEDs?

What killed him was his awful 40 time and an injury. Otherwise he might have been drafted 3-4 round and gotten a few more opportunities to stick in the league.

You know as far as Jon leaving Wake early, I can't really blame him. That was such a special season, with the 5th quarter tribute to Luke every game and the ACC title season. I think Jon maybe figured anything he did at Wake the next season would be a let down and quite honestly with all the emotions he went through that year, I'd bet he just wanted to move on.

I thought he stayed 4 years overall. Did he not graduate?

I think he had a few classes left to get (since he was probably initially on track to graduate in 5). He came back and got those finished though iirc and I seem to remember him graduating/walking with the class of '10.

Back