• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

About that "World's Best Healthcare System" the U.S. is supposed to have...

How about children too young to be vaccinated? Typical conservative doesn't care babies once they're out of the womb.

How about children too young to be vaccinated? Typical conservative doesn't care babies once they're out of the womb.

People who want their children to stay alive will vaccinate them without stupid laws. Schools who want their students to stay alive will require vaccinations.

Did you read that Washington Post article? They said they couldn't prove a negative, which you can't, not that he was correct.

"A Social Security Administration analysis of the survey said: “Many aged persons never recover from the economic effects of a single hospital episode. Unfortunately, the heaviest burden is likely to fall on those with the least resources,” and “even for the insured there is no present guarantee against dependency in old age caused by catastrophic medical expenses.”

"In terms of Paul’s notion that government benefits provide a perverse incentive for doctors to charge more, that’s not possible with strict price controls in place for Medicare and Medicaid. Theory has it that providers just shift costs to the privately insured rather than absorb them, but Ginsburg said only the most elite hospitals can do that for fear of being dropped by insurers. Most will instead change their production processes to cut costs, he said."

Read this an learn a little bit about Medicare, ONW:

http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/hhs/medicare-reforms

Okay then. "We" have a choice: attempt to force others to be vaccinated (which "we" can't do anyway) or vaccinate your own rear end of your own free will so you can stay the fuck alive.

What if you don't have access or can't afford it?

What if you don't have access or can't afford it?

Stand out on the street with a sign that says "my kids need their shots, will work for shots" and wait for the pastor of the First Baptist Church to come by and take your family in his Volvo to one of his parishioner pediatricians.

Ron Paul, based on his experience as a physician before Medicare, made the same point I am making and the Washington Post tried to refute it. Although they tried hard and gave him three pinocchios, even they admitted that they could not refute this assertion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/ron-pauls-claims-about-life-without-medicare-and-medicaid/2012/01/31/gIQAedy5hQ_blog.html

In trying to refute him, they used a government survey from 1963:

"A later study from the Social Security Administration made similar conclusions, as we learned from PolitiFact. The 1963 Survey of the Aged showed that seniors were paying especially high medical costs because they needed more care and that median costs for elderly couples needing hospital care reached about $7,000 a year in today’s dollars."

Medicare.gov estimates that people on Medicare today in good health spend $6600 per person out of pocket, about the same out of pocket costs as elderly couples needing hospital care did in 1963.

http://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/staticpages/medigap-out-of-pocket-costs.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Medicare has fucked up health care for older people far beyond any possible repair.
Medicine was real cheap in the 1800s. A saw and some leeches and you were set.

Stand out on the street with a sign that says "my kids need their shots, will work for shots" and wait for the pastor of the First Baptist Church to come by and take your family in his Volvo to one of his parishioner pediatricians.

Boom, healthcare cost and access solved.

The cost of things increase over time....get the fuck out of here....

The very same procedure in 1963 cost much much less in today's dollars that it costs today.

I hope nobody is getting the very same procedure in 2015 that they got in 1963.

I hope nobody is making babies in 2015 the same way they did in 1963.

Yes, it is quite different for some. The first in vitro fertilization occurred in 1978, and now IVF is used to conceive tens of thousands of babies in the US annually. That's a good example of why it is extremely challenging to compare medical care in the US in 2015 to 1963.

I don't think it is that challenging to compare the cost of an uncomplicated normal spontaneous vaginal delivery in 1963 with an uncomplicated normal spontaneous vaginal delivery in 2015. It would be challenging to compare a normal spontaneous vaginal delivery in 1963 with an octamommy in 2015. But I am not contending that NSVDs were cheaper in 1963 than octamommies are today.

Back