• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

About that "World's Best Healthcare System" the U.S. is supposed to have...

You don't think it is worthwhile to make sure that the drugs people take are, you know, actually those drugs and won't kill them?

Get some glasses or better reading comprehension. It's fucking ridiculous that it takes 2-3 years to do something that should be rubber stamped and can be easily verified. By your logic, what's to stop a company from getting FDA approval for Daraprim and then turning around and selling aspirin or a placebo instead? I don't think it's unreasonable to say that maybe the FDA can do their job without taking forever about it.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good critique, but instead of thinking about what ELC said, you just assumed he wasn't making a reasonable statement and dismissed him....well done.

I mean the "expert" basically says it's too expensive and too much of a PITA to go through the FDA approval process and that's why no one has done it...ELC just expounded on that with a reasonable though...i.e. capitalism (re: market economics) aren't really the problem as much as externalities (seemingly excessive FDA red tape) are protecting an incumbent supplier of the drug from competition that might otherwise exist and disrupting market forces

Exactly. 923 was just itching to misappropriate the use of the word "epic" to one of my mundane posts again.

I'm not sure you understand what the FDA's job is.

Other than to be slow as shit? In this case, they need to make sure the product being sold is what it's supposed to be. For some reason, that takes 2-3 years. It's not like this is a new drug requiring years of testing and all the other usual foot dragging we associate the FDA with.

rubber stamped? so you think drug companies are trustworthy enough to self-regulate when it comes to distribution of new drugs? hmm

Not typically necessary for generics. You just need to establish "bioequivalence," which is a vastly shortened process from the full process of verifying a drug in the first place. Instead, you can take a small sample of humans, 2 or 3 dozen, and prove that the drug delivery to the bloodstream occurs as quickly and in the same concentration as the original. If it does, it's typically a "rubber stamp" from there out. However, if drug companies know about the development of generics, they can apply to get a five year grace period to develop their own generic (which then has to prove it is cheaper to develop and not just the same formulation) to protect their product. Sometimes it's accepted and other times denied, but again it's not the FDA dragging its feet.

Either way, minimal testing is needed to make sure generics work as well as name brands.

Now wait a second. They can stonewall for 5 years on something where the patent and exclusivity has long expired?

In some cases, yes. There's almost certainly some corruption involved here. It's pretty fucked up.

Yet you defend it? Cashola is cashola. Why? I'd fire everybody and start over if it's really so bad that corruption and pay-offs should be expected.

Some price comparisons of common drugs in the US vs. peer countries.

http://usuncut.com/news/us-drug-prices-in-the-us-are-literally-insane-when-compared-to-other-nations/

drugschart.png

Townie, you don't think depression is serious?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ion-of-100-price-hike-of-life-saving-epipens/

Couldn't find discussion elsewhere on price increase to EpiPen. This kind of shit just drives me crazy. knowell and other board libertarians, honest question, do you think this is a place where there should be government interjection? I know the natural answer is more competition but with drugs, the regs make that really difficult (rightfully so, IMO). Is your answer fewer regs on the front end, more regs around pricing, just let it be, or something else?

Let it be baby. Roll those dice on the free market. Someone should just enter the market and make a cheaper EpiPen!

See the problem is that there isn't a free market with drugs because of licensing that is protected and supported by the government. True free market would be despite company X doing all the work to develop and make the drug, company Y if they can figure out the set formula of the drug can also freely make the drug. Then it becomes a marketing and price where company Y would have the upper hand as they don't have sunk research and development costs. However in that scenario free market would also mean no regulatory body that publishes and approves the drug so the development and formula of the drug wouldn't be as readily available as it is now, so company Y would have a much more difficult time developing based of company X. This also means who knows what the fuck is in the drugs, that would be free market!

See the problem is that there isn't a free market with drugs because of licensing that is protected and supported by the government. True free market would be despite company X doing all the work to develop and make the drug, company Y if they can figure out the set formula of the drug can also freely make the drug. Then it becomes a marketing and price where company Y would have the upper hand as they don't have sunk research and development costs. However in that scenario free market would also mean no regulatory body that publishes and approves the drug so the development and formula of the drug wouldn't be as readily available as it is now, so company Y would have a much more difficult time developing based of company X. This also means who knows what the fuck is in the drugs, that would be free market!

Let's do it. Abolish the FDA! Make big pharma great again!

Back