• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

About that "World's Best Healthcare System" the U.S. is supposed to have...

Shouldn't everyone have an advance directive?

I don't disagree with your proposal to alter our food subsidy policies. And obesity is definitely part of the problem. And yet. The US is more obese than any other OECD Country:

http://www.oecd.org/health/obesity-update.htm

But, even the fattest OECD countries don't spend close to the health care dollars per capita that we do. Australia is the second fattest, and spends less than half our per capita health dollar. Switzerland is among the skinniest, and yet has the third-most expensive health system.

https://data.oecd.org/healthres/health-spending.htm

I'm not going to take the time to chart it, but I don't think there's much correlation between obesity rates and health spending, except that the US leads the league in both. Reducing obesity would absolutely impact US health spending, but by itself it would not get our spending anywhere close to the OECD average.

I think that is explained by the unconscionable price gouging by providers and Big Pharma.

Obesity is just one thing and there are plenty of obese people with low health care utilization. Focusing on only personal responsibility is a poor strategy. Let's look at environmental factors too. Yesterday's NPR On Point on the prevalence of lead poisoning was scary. There is too much victim blaming in our health care system.

Obesity is a huge issue, and if it were diminished, there would be a huge effect on healthcare costs. I hope you don't lump me in the victim blaming. That is why I wanted to change subsidy policies - to make good food more affordable and available. Right now, many folks are just following path of least resistance.

But there has to be a personal responsibility. Should someone with 3 DUI's have the same insurance rate as a good driver? We are having this issue in healthcare.

cut off healthcare other than palliative care at life expectancy and offer euthanasia as a government funded option at their discretion, not life expectancy

Euthanasia making a comeback? All that is old is new again.

cut off healthcare other than palliative care at life expectancy and offer euthanasia as a government funded option at their discretion, not life expectancy

You can't do this if healthcare is a right. Who loses rights with age? You don't like denying healthcare to the poors (classism) or minorities (racism). Why is ageism acceptable?

Energy should be spent on how to lower costs, so everyone can participate, instead of who are we going to deny bc we can't pay for everybody.

You can't do this if healthcare is a right. Who loses rights with age? You don't like denying healthcare to the poors (classism) or minorities (racism). Why is ageism acceptable?

Energy should be spent on how to lower costs, so everyone can participate, instead of who are we going to deny bc we can't pay for everybody.

ageism is fine when it comes to many government regulated things.

why does a basically immobile 98 yr old get a free hip? dumb

I don't imagine you're going to get very far with a health care plan that alienates the AARP.

right, the people who burn the most cash are never going to give up the ghost so we have to scramble to pick up the pennies and nickles and talk about better ideas like upending our entire food production system

So instead we'll upend the entire healthcare system with single payer and off the olds? Good plan.

so you believe it's sensible for nonagenarians to get organ and joint replacements ostensibly for free while a 27 old is potentially saddled with a massive debts for the same procedures

so you believe it's sensible for nonagenarians to get organ and joint replacements ostensibly for free while a 27 old is potentially saddled with a massive debts for the same procedures

No, bc I don't believe healthcare is a right. So I would deny the poors. Actually, I'd try to fix the system so everyone could afford it regardless of age or income.

You mean people don't drive olds to polling place to vote Democrat? The government doesn't limit your right to work due to age. Driving is a state privilege, not a right.

so we agree the government regulates several important things, some involving age restrictions, cool

Back