• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Can someone explain to me how this came to pass? Didn't Obama take office with complete control of the House and Senate? What had happened?

The 60th vote became ill and died. All those years wishing for Teddy Kennedy's death and now Republicans forget it happened.

People who voted for Obama didn't show up to vote in 2010 because Obama wasn't on the ticket

But to be honest I don't remember the exact implications leading to a 2010 Republican House takeover. I do believe that Obama not being on the ticket hurt since that was why the Dems gained so many seats in 2008 (on his coattails), the sitting president's party generally performs poorly at midterms, and some people who voted for Obama expected instant change and gratification and it didn't happen. Mix that in with the fact that a lot of voters and Americans were displeased with the ACA and you have a pretty perfect storm for a GOP House landslide.

Understatement alert.

Not particularly, the date the law was passed (depending on which poll you use it varies by a few points either way but each one agrees on the following result) Americans supported the law by a few percentage points (best average I can find is 46%-40% in favor). Hell in the middle of 2012 according to Pew, there was still a 47-45% favorability rating based on a poll of over 1,500 voters.

Pretty revisionist history to say that it's an "understatement" that a lot of voters and Americans were displeased. 8 out of 10 Democrats supported the bill a year after passage while 7 of 10 Republicans disapproved. Independents were against it at a 50% clip (40% were in favor).

The original statement was a more than fair assessment.

Last edited:
when times are bad, govt spend more and lower taxes

when times are good, govt spend less and raise taxes

right?

That's Hicks, although the first part is in the General Theory.

Keynes was a true boss. The Economic Consequences of the Peace, Economic Consequences of Mr Churchill, Essays in Persuasion, Essays in Biography, GT. All really good.

The signature promise of this Administration? yet, that minor detail. Bake, I like you too much to think that you're a kneepad-wearing, some-of-the-sheeple-all-of-the-time dupe like our friend numbers. Don't tell me you'll bend over for Team Dem that pliably. Right or wrong, you struck me as a person with a modicum of self respect. Et tu, Bakus? Say it ain't so.

I'm just trying to clarify what you meant by 'frightened.' You've nailed this politician for lying, congrats. And I'm with you, fuck him, he suckles the same teat as the rest of them. I'm pissed about a lot of shit, but I'm not frightened by this.

I'm just trying to clarify what you meant by 'frightened.' You've nailed this politician for lying, congrats. And I'm with you, fuck him, he suckles the same teat as the rest of them. I'm pissed about a lot of shit, but I'm not frightened by this.

Are you not frightened by the sheeple whose blind allegiance they command?

JHMD, you are one weird, WEIRD dude. More power to you though. Glad we cancelled each other's votes out on the Senate race. Good luck tonight with your candidates, cheers.

Take a peek across Lake Michigan and across the palm. Your turn is coming.

giphy.gif

Oooooooppppsssss. Of course any intelligent person knew that from the outset.

I'm still interested in hearing ELC's response to why states haven't expanded Medicaid if it was so "well known" (which I take to mean generally accepted and that most people would agree it was a correct policy) that this would help the uninsured. Sounds like the answer so far is they cared more about getting a smaller government than helping people who needed help.

It was well known that the ACA projections had something like 70-90% (I can't remember what the exact number was, but it's between those) of the newly insured being covered under Medicaid expansion. So basically, most of what the ACA is was a massive entitlement program expansion, which of course is enormously expensive. They fiddled with the numbers so the CBO would put its stamp of approval on it. That in itself is something to bitch about from a cost and big government perspective. The other part of it dealt with an abundance of mandates (even though RJ apparently thinks that mandate only means individual mandate) that are also objectionable from the small government perspective.

I don't know why you seem to think that "well known" equates to correct policy. I mean, if I have a policy that gives a new car to every teenager that gets his license, and the amount of teenagers with new cars goes up as a result, then that is an expected result. It doesn't mean it's good policy.

It was well known that the ACA projections had something like 70-90% (I can't remember what the exact number was, but it's between those) of the newly insured being covered under Medicaid expansion. So basically, most of what the ACA is was a massive entitlement program expansion, which of course is enormously expensive. They fiddled with the numbers so the CBO would put its stamp of approval on it. That in itself is something to bitch about from a cost and big government perspective. The other part of it dealt with an abundance of mandates (even though RJ apparently thinks that mandate only means individual mandate) that are also objectionable from the small government perspective.

I don't know why you seem to think that "well known" equates to correct policy. I mean, if I have a policy that gives a new car to every teenager that gets his license, and the amount of teenagers with new cars goes up as a result, then that is an expected result. It doesn't mean it's good policy.
Good on you for comparing health insurance to a "new car", a free new car is definitely an entitlement, just like health care.

Back