• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Really? I assumed the young healthy people who weren't buying were 27-35. Was there expectation that 26 and unders would buy their own insurance?

Really? I assumed the young healthy people who weren't buying were 27-35. Was there expectation that 26 and unders would buy their own insurance?

Very much so. Its not the whole segment but a critical part. Shot themselves squarely in the foot on that one. Some of us were screaming on that one but it proved to be too popular.

I have huge actuarial issues with it but also cultural issues with it. Why the heck should an employer be forced to cover a 26 YO dependent who can go get insurance on the open market? Or get it at their own job? A not so hidden tax to employers.

why would they expect 26 yr olds to buy insurance when a big part of the law raised the age of them to be under parental policies to 26

why would they expect 26 yr olds to buy insurance when a big part of the law raised the age of them to be under parental policies to 26

barackobama.jpg

people remember that the ACA was designed to get more people covered by insurance, right?

And those 26 yos weren't buying insurance. Adding them to their parents' policies is buying insurance.

It didn't improve the ACA risk pool. It made it worse. These same folks very likely would have bought individual policies which would have helped keep the ACA price down. .

Anecdotal, but I was on my parents plan through college, then went with my employer when I got my first job. Now I'm at a small business that doesn't provide health insurance and get it through the marketplace.

It didn't improve the ACA risk pool. It made it worse. These same folks very likely would have bought individual policies which would have helped keep the ACA price down. .

I bet that many if not most of those 20 somethings couldn't afford to purchase a plan on their own. Why not put income limitations on that access?
Philosophically, should be we be debating health care coverage as a freedom for people to opt out of? Considering that the affordability of health care coverage is dependent upon everyone having it?

I bet that many if not most of those 20 somethings couldn't afford to purchase a plan on their own. Why not put income limitations on that access?
Philosophically, should be we be debating health care coverage as a freedom for people to opt out of? Considering that the affordability of health care coverage is dependent upon everyone having it?

There were subsidies right? And the income limitations should actually be in reverse. If you were not subsidy eligible, go onto your parents plan. These folks could have gotten access to insurance and helped the ACA pool. But the politics of gettign these folks enrolled before 2014 was an important part of selling the ACA to Americans. Horrible idea IMHO.

"The US also performs poorly and is on course to have the lowest life expectancy of rich countries by 2030."

"[Society in the US is] very unequal to an extent the whole national performance is affected - it is the only country without universal health insurance."

"And it is the first country that has stopped growing taller, which shows something about early life nutrition."

Winning...

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39040146

"The US also performs poorly and is on course to have the lowest life expectancy of rich countries by 2030."

"[Society in the US is] very unequal to an extent the whole national performance is affected - it is the only country without universal health insurance."

"And it is the first country that has stopped growing taller, which shows something about early life nutrition."

Winning...

all on Donald's watch.

Reactions: ONW

Winning...

"Much of the increases are due to improvements for the over-65s rather than reductions in deaths during childhood."

Hmmmm......

Fuck Obamacare in its fucking ass. I just calculated the FTE equivalent employees of my company for Calendar year 2016, and I'm at 49.21. Close enough where now I really gotta read some shit. Also annoying that our "months" last from the 25th to the 25th of each month, so its entirely possible I'm over if I move the hours from the proper month.

All i'm really determining is if we gotta pay for insurance for our secretary. She's the only person working more than 30 hours a week that isn't offered insurance. Is the penalty capped at $3,000 for her, or if we offer it to everyone but her, is the penalty Full time employees minus 30 times $2,000. I think its the former, but I'm not entirely sure.

Last edited:
They're going to repeal ACA. Do you really have to do anything?

Fuck Obamacare in its fucking ass. I just calculated the FTE equivalent employees of my company for Calendar year 2016, and I'm at 49.21. Close enough where now I really gotta read some shit. Also annoying that our "months" last from the 25th to the 25th of each month, so its entirely possible I'm over if I move the hours from the proper month.

All i'm really determining is if we gotta pay for insurance for our secretary. She's the only person working more than 30 hours a week that isn't offered insurance. Is the penalty capped at $3,000 for her, or if we offer it to everyone but her, is the penalty Full time employees minus 30 times $2,000. I think its the former, but I'm not entirely sure.

Your fault for not following the 2&2 plan for success and hiring breeders.

They're going to repeal ACA. Do you really have to do anything?

At a minimum I should understand the penalties and figure out how many employees I had during the last year. I knew it'd be close, as we went from like say mid 40's to mid 50's but most of it was towards the end of the year.

Should also probably take the advice someone else gave to fire our insurance broker given he has our census and never even mentioned "hey... you look like you went from under 50 to over 50" until I called him yesterday after googling something while reading this thread.

Your fault for not following the 2&2 plan for success and hiring breeders.

Speaking of which. Had our first pregnancy. What a nightmare. Have to figure out how many vacation days to use and then how many sick days you can use but then you can't use sick days within a certain period of time before the due date otherwise the insurance doesn't cover it, then there are two insurances, the state insurance and the insurance the company pays for.

Of course the state insurances ask for the same information 3-4x in a row, so for all you dems who think we should make healthcare or pretty much anything run by any sort of governmental agency.... how about we hold off on that until they upgrade from requesting you send something back via fax first. The states should hire smart auditors to run audits of for profit companies to administer this shit.

Then the private disability insurance sends me a letter today saying "We reviewed the claim made for Nancy Mc Been Here a Year, and we cannot verify the claim at this time because the doctor did not give an adequate reason of why she's disabled."

She's 9 months preggers, numnuts. Why the fuck do you think she's disabled? This can't be your first rodeo.

So in summary, if it takes someone with a Masters in Accounting from the best accounting program in the country 3 days to figure out how to fill out your form(s), and then someone who's smart enough to spent 8 years of post-graduate life learning to become a doctor and succeed and they don't know how to fill out the form(s), obviously its a shitty ass system.

Last edited:
Back