• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

That's how it works around here. Most of you are experts on things like nuclear proliferation, race relations, Islam, education, healthcare and international diplomacy all at the same time. Just trying to fit in

You left birds off your list. Some of us are bird experts.

CBO on the Senate bill is out:

22 million lose coverage by 2026 (15 million within the first year), premiums rise for two years (including 30% more than current projections for next year) and only fall because poor, sick, and old people will be uninsured, deductibles rise as well.

I truly don't understand what Republicans are doing on a moral or political level.

The amount that lose coverage within the first year is more than the House bill. So much for the whole "the House bill is DOA!" shtick.

The amount that lose coverage within the first year is more than the House bill. So much for the whole "the House bill is DOA!" shtick.

In my opinion, the two biggest issue here are that the Federal Government is shifting most the responsibility and the hard decisions to the States and if this passes the Senate, the State legislatures are about to see unprecedented levels of lobbying money being thrown at them from the Insurance industry. These Bush league, part-time, amateur legislators aren't going to know what hit them. The second big issue from my perspective is the loss of guaranteed mental health coverage. From a financial and really "insurance theory" stand point I can understand dropping the preexisting condition requirements of the ACA (and I say this as a cancer survivor who will probably never be insurable or pay exorbitant rates if I lose my job). But mental healthcare is disease with treatment and prognoses similar to a lot of other diseases like diabetes or heart disease though the treatment methods come with less clarity and more uncertainty. Robbing these people of their coverage is a travesty.

Meh. They'll pass it next week.

Meh. They'll pass it next week.

I don't know that they will. I think a lot of the congressmen are at least coming around to the fact that it is astonishingly bad compared to the ACA as far as how many will be uninsured due to the makeup of the bill.

ETA: Basically I'm holding out hope that Republicans will at least keep some people in mind when voting on the bill other than themselves.

I don't know that they will. I think a lot of the congressmen are at least coming around to the fact that it is astonishingly bad compared to the ACA as far as how many will be uninsured due to the makeup of the bill.

ETA: Basically I'm holding out hope that Republicans will at least keep some people in mind when voting on the bill other than themselves.

That's adorable.

They realized they need time to sell the bill through conservative media.

Not really, at least in the short term premiums would increase greater than currently projected if they just did nothing. Also in the future premiums would only go down through having a shittier health plan yourself. So yeah you are no longer mandated to have insurance, you can also get insurance to say you are insured but said insurance won't cover anything you would ever really need and most likely have a lifetime/yearly cap.

But would premiums go down for those who do pay for their premiums?

What part of the individual mandate and the tax on rich to help subsidize insurance don't you get? You get rid of those two things and premiums aren't coming down, unless you're just getting horrible insurance.

What part of the individual mandate and the tax on rich to help subsidize insurance don't you get? You get rid of those two things and premiums aren't coming down, unless you're just getting horrible insurance.

I get that premiums went up as high risk people got insured, so it stands to reason if those people are no longer insured that costs would go down for the rest.

I get that premiums went up as high risk people got insured, so it stands to reason if those people are no longer insured that costs would go down for the rest.

Remember those high CA tax rates you pay? Be prepared for even higher rates as the burden is shifted to the states to pay the Medicaid bills.

Back