• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

gutless, idea-less Toomey

some poster will remind us, again, that this is the dems fault for running Hillary Clinton - the candidate with an actual plan to improve on Obamacare - who didn't listen to the blue-collar whites and speak to them in the way they wanted to be listened to and spoken to. It was Trump who delivered them what they wanted - a reality TV star who pretended to listen to them and who talked at them in soundbytes and tweets and waved the flag at them.

f8311b4fcd307a5efdaa4f6d7f822319.jpg

Why a GOP senator from Trump country opposes the Senate health bill

But if Capito is feeling the heat in a state that Trump won by more than 42 percentage points, she isn’t showing it. Back here in West Virginia, where more than 30 percent of families rely on Medicaid, she doesn’t hesitate at the prospect of casting the vote that kills the GOP’s repeal effort.

“I only see it through the lens of a vulnerable population who needs help, who I care about very deeply,” the 63-year-old lawmaker said in an interview. “So that gives me strength. If I have to be that one person, I will be it.”

That's three moderates that have come out strongly against, though there are reports that the governor of Nevada is getting a lot of pressure to get Heller to change his stance.

Republicans have lied continuously about the ACA. And it worked for them to gain power and influence.

Only problem for them is now they have no way forward. The rational choice (policy wise, not politically) is to help make the ACA (a largely Pub plan in the first damn place) better (stabilize the markets, enhance the mandate, expand medicaid, etc.--politically impossible for them due to their own tomfoolery. And they won't move towards single payer or medicare for all. So they only have some crazy backwards path that leaves more people uninsured, that lowers "costs" by worsening insurance policies and diminishing overall access to care. And most folks can see that path as regressive and undesirable.

I think they do have a way forward. They could simply revise the ACA with all the stuff you listed, call it Trumpcare, call it a "repeal and replace," Switch out the world "mandate" with the "incentive" and sell to the voters as this amazing new system. Their base would eat it up as long as Fox News was on board.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/10/opinion/health-insurance-free-market.html

Most dismaying for me as a physician is that after all of my attempts to apply my compassion and training to save their lives, all three of these patients told me some variant of: “Thanks for what you’re doing, but I would rather that you hadn’t.” Even the man with the brain bleed, who certainly would have died without our immediate intervention, expressed dismay. In the neurology intensive care unit, with a bolt through his skull to measure the pressure around his brain, he told me that while he did not have health insurance, he did have life insurance. He said he would rather have died and his family gotten that money than have lived and burdened them with the several-hundred-thousand-dollar bill, and likely bankruptcy, he was now stuck with.

A believer in free-market medicine, Mr. Ryan has said about health care: “You get it if you want it. That’s freedom.” Yet being given services without your consent, and then getting saddled with the cost, is nothing like freedom.

What a great look it is for Republicans to have disabled protesters arrested in the halls of Congress!

Still blows my mind that Republicans forget that they ruled out repeal only several months ago.

The ADAPT activists are pretty badass.

Some of those folks can be real assholes. I was a member of a group they targeted years ago. They were assembled in the lobby of a hotel and I made the mistake of talking to them about their grievances after they blocked my path. They didn't like what I had to say, so two of them intentionally tried to gore me with the foot extensions on their wheelchairs.

Legitimate question from a place of pure ignorance: what would be wrong with a "menu" style setup? Basically, assign a yearly value to each category of health services (ambulance and emergency, women's health, men's health, radiology, etc.), then divide by 12 to get the monthly premium. You can add whatever protections you want in your health insurance, but they have that set value, so you know how much you are paying, and you don't have to get a plan with coverage you don't need.

Wouldn't that be actual freedom in the marketplace? I am genuinely curious as to if this is even feasible. I'm sure there are many issues with it, but I am no health care expert, just having a thought.

Legitimate question from a place of pure ignorance: what would be wrong with a "menu" style setup? Basically, assign a yearly value to each category of health services (ambulance and emergency, women's health, men's health, radiology, etc.), then divide by 12 to get the monthly premium. You can add whatever protections you want in your health insurance, but they have that set value, so you know how much you are paying, and you don't have to get a plan with coverage you don't need.

Wouldn't that be actual freedom in the marketplace? I am genuinely curious as to if this is even feasible. I'm sure there are many issues with it, but I am no health care expert, just having a thought.

I can try to address the rest of you post later, but some of the work you mentioned (assigning value to each category of health services) has been done. The Urban Institute put out a report this month, actually. I pasted a couple of figures below. Of note, things that people claim are "unnecessary" and driving up premiums probably represent smaller sum of the pie than you think (see maternity care).

DEZWc8UXsAEPepr.jpg:large

DEZUSFUXsAI5pD6.jpg:large

Re: the "menu" idea, under our insurance setup, many of those items you pay for but never receive are paying for the actual people that use them. Its a double tax. You're already paying for Medicare, Medicaid, and veterans benefits through your taxes, and on top of that you are paying extra to subsidize the costlier insurance customers, so the companies can attain profit goals.

that's why we should let the elderly, poor and veterans pay for their own health care problems so us healthy useful folks can get along with our lives

Back