• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

I know you are doing this on purpose, but that's just playing semantics. You are taking (a ton of) money out of their checks to pay your employees premiums. And as a bonus, they don't even have to pay payroll or income taxes on those premiums. Weeeeeeee.

We take nothing out of their paychecks. A 65 year old working for us's monthly premium is over $1,200. They pay nothing.

Last edited:
I'm assuming palma has no understanding of how employer-sponsored healthcare came to be. Which really makes perfect sense.

We take nothing out of their paychecks

This kind of thing is fun on a message board. But people legitimately make these kind of purposefully dishonest semantics based arguments all the time, and it's a pretty huge problem. Perfect example is the HHS analysis of the Cruz amendment.

It's been said before but a company with Plama as HR Director is just begging to be sued and/or audited

This kind of thing is fun on a message board. But people legitimately make these kind of purposefully dishonest semantics based arguments all the time, and it's a pretty huge problem. Perfect example is the HHS analysis of the Cruz amendment.

What are you referring to that "we take a ton of money out of their checks" ? We take nothing out of their paychecks via partial deduction to reimburse us for their healthcare costs, only if they have a dependent on their plan (which no one does, cause no one wants to pay for platinum coverage for their loved ones when given the choice).

Although most liberals want the rich to pay for that for everyone.

Last edited:
What are you referring to that "we take a ton of money out of their checks" ? We take nothing out of their paychecks via partial deduction to reimburse us for their healthcare costs.

You are a smart guy, you don't have to play dumb here. You know exactly what I mean. Part of your employees compensation is the money you put toward their health care premiums. It sounds like you pay their entire premiums for them, which is great (and a pretty big tax break) for them.

You are a smart guy, you don't have to play dumb here. You know exactly what I mean. Part of your employees compensation is the money you put toward their health care premiums. It sounds like you pay their entire premiums for them, which is great (and a pretty big tax break) for them.

If we save on our medical insurance next open enrollment, absolutely none of that will be passed through to the employees. (Except I imagine, me).

Yes I do. I'm the HR director. Our employees pay nothing for healthcare, either a Platnium HMO or Gold PPO. Until last year it was Platnium/Platnium.

You're claiming that the employer pays nothing for the employer sponsored health plan and that employees only pay $12/year for their health insurance. Do I have that correct?

Or are you claiming that the employer pays the entirety of the premiums for employees?

Last edited:
You're claiming that the employer pays nothing for the employer sponsored health plan and that employees only pay $12/year for their health insurance. Do I have that correct?

I don't understand what's so complicated about this concept

5d08e2b775197214ee088f456c58fd27.jpg

You're claiming that the employer pays nothing for the employer sponsored health plan and that employees only pay $0/year for their health insurance. Do I have that correct?

The employers pay everything. The employees pay nothing.

Yeah because insurance companies never need attorneys Plama. Just buying insurance removes all attorneys!

And there's no way your company pays market value to employees and they pay nothing for health care.

ETA: so your company is paying market value to employees and they get great health insurance for nothing and your company just pays it all? Seems like a great place to work and a terrible place to own.

Last edited:
If the employer is paying everything for healthcare, your employer must either be incredibly profitable, its paying its employees less, or its owners just choose to take less money home. Which is it?

From a March 30, 2016 article:

"The share of Fortune's best companies that still pay for 100% of employee's healthcare has dropped to 9% this year from a peak of 34% in 2001. (Read: These 9 Companies Offer 100% Healthcare Coverage) That big drop represents a broader workplace trend — employees are covering more of their health insurance premiums than in previous years. Workers with employer-sponsored health plans now contribute an average of 18% of the premium for single coverage and 29% of the premium for family coverage, according to a study by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation."

http://fortune.com/2016/03/30/employer-paid-health-insurance-is-dying-off/

Last edited:
Yeah because insurance companies never need attorneys Plama. Just buying insurance removes all attorneys!

And there's no way your company pays market value to employees and they pay nothing for health care while you also pay nothing. Don't be dumb

ETA: so your company is paying market value to employees and they get great health insurance for nothing and your company just pays it all? Seems like a great place to work and a terrible place to own.

We pay way over market value, in fact for our employees. You realize it's possible to be efficient in other ways. We deliver a superior product with efficient management and thus we are efficient in other ways.

If the employer is paying everything for healthcare, your employer must either be incredibly profitable, its paying its employees less, or its owners just choose to take less money home. Which is it?

Just spent $1,300 on over 1,000 pages of benchmarking data I'm combing through now. Arrived 2 days ago, will let you know. But when I left my last firm, the owner there said to me "I hear those guys are killing it"

I've recruited 2 of my former co-workers, and they got about 25% more in base salary at the same levels, and my last firm had over 1,000 employees. It's amazing what one can do when you don't have pointless meetings all day.

Last edited:
That still has nothing to do with the fact that your employer is paying way more for health insurance than they need to. They'd be making even more money if they ran everything super efficiently AND had a model like most other companies.

Plama's theory for healthcare: Walmart pays for all their employees to have healthcare.

Why didn't anyone just think of that?!?!

I mean. It's great for the employees and good for your owners. But that's not a realistic model for most capitalistic enterprises

Just spent $1,300 on over 1,000 pages of benchmarking data I'm combing through now. Arrived 2 days ago, will let you know. But when I left my last firm, the owner there said to me "I hear those guys are killing it"

I've recruited 2 of my former co-workers, and they got about 25% more in base salary at the same levels, and my last firm had over 1,000 employees. It's amazing what one can do when you don't have pointless meetings all day.

Apparently post all day on a message board.

That still has nothing to do with the fact that your employer is paying way more for health insurance than they need to. They'd be making even more money if they ran everything super efficiently AND had a model like most other companies.

Plama's theory for healthcare: Walmart pays for all their employees to have healthcare.

Seems very weird to criticize a company that is putting its employees wellbeing over its profits.

So imagine how much they like me once I showed them that. It is hard to un-wind, however. That's the tricky part. We'll do it by the unusual route of partial self-funding for a small company. We can handle the risk.

Back