• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

I think it is pretty clear at this point that Republicans are more effective and energetic when they are complaining from the rear rather than leading from the front.

So the premise the ACA is failing is false??

Any American who doesn't have their head up their ass or consistently blows Obama at every opportunity can plainly see the ACA is failing and a dumpster fire.

"Underhanded and scummy" tactics not needed.

Yes, the premise that it is failing is false. I do understand if your head was inside an ass, or you were constantly blowing someone, it would be tough to evaluate it critically. But any fair read of the data we have shows it is clearly not a dumpster fire. In fact, the markets were stabilizing quite well on their own this year (LINK). That's not to say there aren't problems that can be fixed. And if this administration wants to actively sabotage it, they can. But this death spiral stuff was just nonsense.

9068-figure-21.png

While fully agreeing with you that he is a clown, to be fair, he has done less actual long-term harm than Obama did with similar total control of the government. So he has that going for him.
I'm sorry you don't like the ACA, but America apparently wants to keep it so much that even Republicans are afraid to repeal it so...perhaps you should consider that.

LOL. HHS released their "score" of the Cruz Amendment, using a private contractor who they won't name, with "proprietary" elasticity estimates they won't publish.

I'm sorry you don't like the ACA, but America apparently wants to keep it so much that even Republicans are afraid to repeal it so...perhaps you should consider that.

Wanting to keep it and being unable to easily get rid of it because how much it has intertwined itself into the system/industry are two completely different concepts. There is something to be said for legislation that is so unbelievable atrocious that even when everyone hates it we can't get rid of it because of how much it fucked up the system. It is an absolute testament to incompetence.

The fact that America's crown jewels of scientific research reside under HHS in this administration is a travesty. Nothing like releasing a report without allowing transparency on how the numbers were calculated.

Wanting to keep it and being unable to easily get rid of it because how much it has intertwined itself into the system/industry are two completely different concepts. There is something to be said for legislation that is so unbelievable atrocious that even when everyone hates it we can't get rid of it because of how much it fucked up the system. It is an absolute testament to incompetence.
I am talking about people wanting to keep the ACA, you seem to be talking about Republican congressman. Those are definitely not the same, and it's obvious that Republican voters and Republican congressmen's interests don't line up on the issue of health care coverage. If they did, there would be no trouble repealing.

2&2, its time for you to acknowledge that your views on the ACA aren't in line with the rest of Republican constituents.

Yes, the premise that it is failing is false. I do understand if your head was inside an ass, or you were constantly blowing someone, it would be tough to evaluate it critically. But any fair read of the data we have shows it is clearly not a dumpster fire. In fact, the markets were stabilizing quite well on their own this year (LINK). That's not to say there aren't problems that can be fixed. And if this administration wants to actively sabotage it, they can. But this death spiral stuff was just nonsense.

9068-figure-21.png

Analyzing First Quarter data (as the article states) is not an accurate portrayal of the claims or margins. The article explains why the data is flawed, so I wonder if they will be creating similar 2nd quarter charts soon. I also don't think it mentioned how much costlier people are that enroll outside of the first quarter, I think those claims were like 3 times as high, but I can't remember the exact number. If the insurance companies only insured people who were on the books during the 1st quarter then the financials would be vastly different.

Analyzing First Quarter data (as the article states) is not an accurate portrayal of the claims or margins. The article explains why the data is flawed, so I wonder if they will be creating similar 2nd quarter charts soon. I also don't think it mentioned how much costlier people are that enroll outside of the first quarter, I think those claims were like 3 times as high, but I can't remember the exact number. If the insurance companies only insured people who were on the books during the 1st quarter then the financials would be vastly different.

I think they explain it pretty clearly in the article.

Although first quarter loss ratios and margins generally follow a similar pattern as annual data, starting in 2014 with the move to an annual open enrollment that corresponds to the calendar year, first quarter MLRs have been 10 – 15 percentage points lower than annual loss ratios in the same year.

It's not the absolute values that are important here necessarily, it's the trend compared with previous first quarters that is clearly positive. I'm sure they will update the analysis as more data are available.

2&2, its time for you to acknowledge that your views on the ACA aren't in line with the rest of Republican constituents.

I've never claimed to be a Republican constituent. That doesn't make the ACA any less horrific by any objective standard, simple common sense, or basic math.

CBO score is in. 17M lose coverage next year. 32M+ lose coverage by 2026. 50% of Americans would have no coverage in individual market by 2020. Premiums up 25% next year and 100% in ten years.

Yep that's a good plan!

How can anyone with a soul support this?

along those lines -start at about 1:50

Sorkin was predicting American politics decades early, and it's fun to watch this and The West Wing right now. But also sad to watch.

That only leaves Medicaid about $575B short.

Good job!

Back