• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

LOL. That should be fun.

Desperately wants to pass something, puts something in somewhat unrelated that has been rejected multiple times

I just met with our insurance guy. I'm self employed and have 1 assistant. Her premium in January with a subsidy will more than double. Mine without a subsidy will more than triple (after it had almost doubled in the 2 years under the ACA). I'm liquid and have to have health insurance, so I'll pay what I have to. But now a ton of folks just won't pay for insurance, and the system will implode in the next few years. My insurance guy thought the ACA wasn't sustainable long term, but now with Trump, he thinks the implosion is getting nigh.

I just met with our insurance guy. I'm self employed and have 1 assistant. Her premium in January with a subsidy will more than double. Mine without a subsidy will more than triple (after it had almost doubled in the 2 years under the ACA). I'm liquid and have to have health insurance, so I'll pay what I have to. But now a ton of folks just won't pay for insurance, and the system will implode in the next few years. My insurance guy thought the ACA wasn't sustainable long term, but now with Trump, he thinks the implosion is getting nigh.

Do you mean her premium before the subsidy, or did she get a big raise? If she is subsidy eligible, her out of pocket max premium after subsidy is fixed as a percentage of her income. Either way, these numbers are massively outliers compared to national numbers, that sucks.

Do you mean her premium before the subsidy, or did she get a big raise? If she is subsidy eligible, her out of pocket max premium after subsidy is fixed as a percentage of her income. Either way, these numbers are massively outliers compared to national numbers, that sucks.

After the subsidy for her. They're essentially saying you can't be self employed in Virginia any longer.

After the subsidy for her. They're essentially saying you can't be self employed in Virginia any longer.

That's confusing. If she is subsidy eligible, her out of pocket premium shouldn't have changed at all as a percentage of her income, no matter how high the actual premium went up.

Unfortunately, Virginia had literally the highest rate hikes in the country for people who don't qualify for subsidies. No question people like you are getting screwed.

That's confusing. If she is subsidy eligible, her out of pocket premium shouldn't have changed at all as a percentage of her income, no matter how high the actual premium went up.

Unfortunately, Virginia had literally the highest rate hikes in the country for people who don't qualify for subsidies. No question people like you are getting screwed.

I could have mixed up what he said to her because I wasn't paying as close attention to her conversation as mine. But I thought with her subsidy she's paying about $600/mo next year, and she's paying a little over $300/mo this year. Mine next year would be going from about $500 to about $1500. Or we could do a 2 person group combined for about $15-1600, and my part of that group would only be a bit over $600. I've already put out feelers to go work elsewhere so insurance won't be as much of a problem.

I could have mixed up what he said to her because I wasn't paying as close attention to her conversation as mine. But I thought with her subsidy she's paying about $600/mo next year, and she's paying a little over $300/mo this year. Mine next year would be going from about $500 to about $1500. Or we could do a 2 person group combined for about $15-1600, and my part of that group would only be a bit over $600. I've already put out feelers to go work elsewhere so insurance won't be as much of a problem.

Make sure income is "redetermined". One of the issues with the ACA is that the rate notices go out with old subsidy information which don't reflect the increased cost of insurance.

Even if income is flat, subsidies go up as plans prices go up. The issue is the initial rate notices have 2017 subsidies with 2018 rates. It will catch up but its very confusing to people.

Why does this happen? The law requires the notices to be sent BEOFRE the feds can update subsidies.

Thanks Obama.

Can someone explain to me why Pediatric Dental is a mandatory coverage for people without kids? The ACA seems dumb dumb.

Because health insurance should cover, you know, things important for health.

Can someone explain to me why Pediatric Dental is a mandatory coverage for people without kids? The ACA seems dumb dumb.

Weird little quirk here. Sometimes people without kids have kids.

Back