• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Acc/Big 10 Challenge Discussion/Predictions Thread

Predict the outcome of the ACC/Big 10 Challenge:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm surprised FSU is only at 32% chance of winning. I get that it's at MSU, but still. . . MSU is not a good team.

Also going against those percentages, I think UNC, NCSU, and Northwestern should be favorites in their games. That's picking nits though, with the percentages being so close.

*Sigh*

Remember when this was a marquee event for the ACC? When it wasn't a question of whether the ACC would win, but whether the Big 10 would win more than 2 or 3 games?

I know college sports are cyclical and there's a chance that Maryland/Wake/State, etc will rebuild, but this was once a proud week for the conference that is now an embarrassment.

The irony? Its held the week before the ACC CG in football - the reason ACC basketball is as bad as it is.

*Sigh*

Remember when this was a marquee event for the ACC? When it wasn't a question of whether the ACC would win, but whether the Big 10 would win more than 2 or 3 games?

I know college sports are cyclical and there's a chance that Maryland/Wake/State, etc will rebuild, but this was once a proud week for the conference that is now an embarrassment.

The irony? Its held the week before the ACC CG in football - the reason ACC basketball is as bad as it is.

All three of the teams you listed that need to rebuild were in the ACC before expansion. Expansion had a negative impact on the ACCT, but not the ACC as a whole. Bad coaching hires are what is responsible for the decline of ACC BB.

Quick look at the history of the event since 1999 reveals the series was a single game margin for 8 of the 12 meetings (counting the MSU game since they would have crushed UVA). Plus we get to ditch our worst team.

"New" ACC team BC is 5-0 in the series. State, GATech, FSU, and UNC are .500 or worse as "Old" ACC teams.

The ACC is down, but an embarrassment? Both conferences have 2 teams in the top 10. Maybe we should wait until the games are played... Or maybe look at how the series would have worked out if we had to drop our best team instead of our worst, or even just a random team.

Surprised at Duke barely cracking 20% at Ohio State. Two undefeated teams within 3 kenpom spots?

In the early part of the series the Big 10 got to drop their worst team, correct?

*Sigh*

Expansion is why basketball stinks? ACC AD's continued inability to hire effective coaches is why the league's basketball depth stinks.

Last edited:
In the early part of the series the Big 10 got to drop their worst team, correct?

Looks like Ohio State sat the first 2 years despite winning 42 games... Looks like a number of the teams that sat for the Big 10 made the dance or at least the NIT.

So no, I don't think that's correct.

Interesting. Would have thought they would have chosen to drop their worst team as well, but I guess they didn't for whatever reason.

6-6 tie

UVA, GT, Clemson, NCST, VT, and UNC are the ACC wins.

I know that I'm being optimistic, but I also say a 6-6 tie; I can't see any way that the ACC outright wins this thing.

I'll go with:

TUESDAY, NOV. 29
Michigan at Virginia (ESPN2, 7 p.m.)- L
Northwestern at Georgia Tech (ESPNU, 7:15 p.m.) L
Illinois at Maryland (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.) L
Miami at Purdue (ESPN2, 9 p.m.) L
Clemson at Iowa (ESPNU, 9:15 p.m.) W
Duke at Ohio State (ESPN, 9:30 p.m.) W

WEDNESDAY, NOV. 30
Indiana at North Carolina State (ESPN2, 7:15 p.m.) W
Penn State at Boston College (ESPNU, 7:15 p.m.) L
Florida State at Michigan State (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.) L
Virginia Tech at Minnesota (ESPN2, 9:15 p.m.) W
Wake Forest at Nebraska (ESPNU, 9:15 p.m.) W
Wisconsin at North Carolina (ESPN, 9:30 p.m.) W

I think this is the best case scenario. Scary that the ACC is so down this year.

I'm surprised FSU is only at 32% chance of winning. I get that it's at MSU, but still. . . MSU is not a good team.

Also going against those percentages, I think UNC, NCSU, and Northwestern should be favorites in their games. That's picking nits though, with the percentages being so close.

That surprised me to. I think FSU is better than some think and MSU is worse not as good as people think. MSU still has the edge but not by much.

As for this being an embarrassment, that's absurd. The challenge was started because it was believed it would be competitive, as has been pointed out. The Big 10 is a decent basketball league and a lot better than people give it credit for.

From top to bottom, Big 10 struggled and was the 4th or 5th best conference for most of the 2000s. However, last year, they were the best conference in basketball and I expect that to remain the same this year.

TUESDAY, NOV. 29
Michigan at Virginia (ESPN2, 7 p.m.)- L
Northwestern at Georgia Tech (ESPNU, 7:15 p.m.) L
Illinois at Maryland (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.) L
Miami at Purdue (ESPN2, 9 p.m.) L
Clemson at Iowa (ESPNU, 9:15 p.m.) W
Duke at Ohio State (ESPN, 9:30 p.m.) L

WEDNESDAY, NOV. 30
Indiana at North Carolina State (ESPN2, 7:15 p.m.) L
Penn State at Boston College (ESPNU, 7:15 p.m.) L
Florida State at Michigan State (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.) L
Virginia Tech at Minnesota (ESPN2, 9:15 p.m.) W
Wake Forest at Nebraska (ESPNU, 9:15 p.m.) L
Wisconsin at North Carolina (ESPN, 9:30 p.m.) W

I'm predicting a resounding 9-3 win in favor of the Big Ten.

ETA: I voted 8-4 because I think that's more likely than my 9-3 lol.

Interesting. Would have thought they would have chosen to drop their worst team as well, but I guess they didn't for whatever reason.

Bobby Knight refused to play in the event which is why IU was not involved the first couple of years. I think the OSU team that went to the final 4 in 1999 also sat out the event that year.

From top to bottom, Big 10 struggled and was the 4th or 5th best conference for most of the 2000s. However, last year, they were the best conference in basketball and I expect that to remain the same this year.

But the challenge started in 1999 (or around there) so they couldn't look at the 2000s when they first decided to start it. I remember when it first was announced and reading the press releases supporting it and was surprised by the success of the Big 10 in basketball. At the time they were right behind the ACC in overall winning percentage over the last 20 or 30 years.

Ohio State over Duke

Look, there’s no point in me explaining why I like Ohio State to beat Duke. As a former Buckeye basketball player and a lifelong Duke hater, I couldn’t possibly be more biased in picking this game. So instead of giving my reasons why I like Ohio State to win, I’m just going to link to a video of Austin Rivers’s Punchable Face teaching us his go-to move and tell you that if I ever get the chance to guard him for whatever reason and he tries to make this move on me, there’s no way I wouldn’t just backhand him in the balls as he goes up for the shot. Only seven games into his career Austin Rivers’s Punchable Face has somehow already given me an unprecedented amount of douche chills to the point that I’m going to start a campaign to rename the term “douche chills” to “Rivers quivers.”
:rofl:

Back