• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC-Big 10 Challenge

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
Maryland-UNC-CH highlights it apparently

Indiana at Duke

Louisville at Michigan State

Last edited:
Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN · 42m 42 minutes ago
Georgia Tech is ACC school that won't be participating in 2015 ACC-Big Ten hoops challenge

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN · 56m 56 minutes ago
ACC-B1G hoops challenge: Maryland at UNC, Indiana at Duke, UL at MSU, UVa at Ohio St., ND at Illinois, Wis. at Syracuse

are they purposely keeping us on pins and needles to reveal who the big boys are playing?

Monday, November 30

Clemson at Minnesota
Wake Forest at Rutgers

Tuesday, December 1

Maryland at North Carolina
Virginia at Ohio State
Michigan at NC State
Purdue at Pittsburgh
Northwestern at Virginia Tech
Miami at Nebraska

Wednesday, December 2

Indiana at Duke
Wisconsin at Syracuse
Notre Dame at Illinois
Florida State at Iowa
Penn State at Boston College

So basically they're pegging us as the 2nd worst team in the ACC. Even BC got a better opponent. Woof.

The Rack is a traditionally tough place to play - a game that we should and need to win however.

Maryland-UNC-CH highlights it apparently

Indiana at Duke

So, Indiana, which finished #7 in the Big 10 plays our #2 team, Duke? Always thought that the matchups were supposed to be 1 plays 1, 2 plays 2, 3 plays 3 and so on...

So, Indiana, which finished #7 in the Big 10 plays our #2 team, Duke? Always thought that the matchups were supposed to be 1 plays 1, 2 plays 2, 3 plays 3 and so on...

That's never been the case. It's whatever matchups ESPN wants.

I know in the past they have used preseason predictions as a guide(as opposed to previous season's finish), though they will adjust to avoid rematches and make sure each teams home/road games are equal over the years. This may have changed after expansion, though.

Last edited:

If they were ever going to use straight 1 vs. 1 matchups, it would be based on who is predicted to be in those spots for the following season, not the previously played season. ESPN tries to do that when possible, while also arranging games based on ratings as well (with an eye on who is owed a home game vs. a road game). Would not make sense for Wisconsin (#1 Big Ten in '14-15) vs. UVA (#1 ACC) to play next season, when Wisconsin loses 80% of their team. Additionally, both of those teams got home games last year, and were scheduled to be on the road in '15-16.

Yeah, suck it Iowa and Nebraska!

Also - Fuck Maryland. Fuck them especially for making me almost consider cheering for UNC.

I hate to say it, but I'll be pulling for UNC in this one. Hopefully they are banned from the postseason anyway.

Wonder why ESPN scheduled the two marquee matchups on the first day when ESPN is showing MNF? :p

Wonder why ESPN scheduled the two marquee matchups on the first day when ESPN is showing MNF? :p

I think it's kind of the same reason that whenever you see a Walgreen's at the corner of an intersection there is always a CVS on the opposite corner of the same intersection.

I think it's kind of the same reason that whenever you see a Walgreen's at the corner of an intersection there is always a CVS on the opposite corner of the same intersection.

I think it's more like a fat chick sitting next to a hottie at the bar.

If they were ever going to use straight 1 vs. 1 matchups, it would be based on who is predicted to be in those spots for the following season, not the previously played season. ESPN tries to do that when possible, while also arranging games based on ratings as well (with an eye on who is owed a home game vs. a road game). Would not make sense for Wisconsin (#1 Big Ten in '14-15) vs. UVA (#1 ACC) to play next season, when Wisconsin loses 80% of their team. Additionally, both of those teams got home games last year, and were scheduled to be on the road in '15-16.
Actually, UVa played Maryland last year in College Park. Virginia was due a home game, but going to Columbus isn't upsetting too many people. Among other things, having a senior laden team play on the road this year is probably better than a somewhat younger team doing so the following season. Plus, the prevailing attitude among many of the fans is rapidly becoming, "Defense travels!"

So basically they're pegging us as the 2nd worst team in the ACC. Even BC got a better opponent. Woof.

Rutgers will almost certainly be the preseason last place team in the B1G. They were awful last year and lost their two best players.

Back