• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Men's Golf Championship

Billy Andres, Len Mattice, Scott Hoch, still not that bad....

God you guys suck. Where is DeacFreke with his "wake fanbase sucks" tag or whatever. Never have I heard more whining about a sport nobody even pretends to pay attention to for 99% of the season than golf.

Awesome finish by Clancy to birdie 17 and 18. Deacs finish +2 for the day and in 4th alone, currently 6 back of FSU who is complete with GT struggling to get it to the house in 2nd.

Big day tomorrow, need to keep ourselves in the hunt.

If recent history is any guide....well we can hope it isn't.

I don't think this team is going anywhere but I am hopeful for some success in the next few years--first time I've been able to say that in a long time. Guise and Waugh are players and the kids coming in next year look to be strong as well.

We have stud players coming in the next two years. Wake golf is going to be strong.

Also what's the point in throwing out Haas and Simpson and saying that besides that we don't have golf success over the past few years? Webb is a major winner and Haas has won the Tour Championship.

"If we throw out the success over the past few years, then you just have historical success."

Well. Yes.

If its gonna happen with Jerry, its gonna happen in the couple of years. I'm not sure this squad has enough to win, but Guise and Waugh are studs and we've got the equivalent of about 6 McD AAs coming in the next 2 classes.

Andres? Mattice? Facepalm

Well, at least you got Hoch's name right.

I don't think I have ever seen socaldeac post on a thread he didn't start.

He just wants to make sure he keeps his #1 ranking.

No judgments about how "good" or "bad" these posters are.

Let's do this.

Smartest:

5. IAppreciateIt
4. PhysDeac
3. ArlingtonDeac
2. DeacInBama
1. Deacon923

Dumbest:

10. zqglass Disqualified for age
9. PhillyDeac
8. childressfor3
7. HONDO2
6. thedeacfan
5. Lectro
4. MACdeac
3. Mbadvisor
2. tbird jostling for first
1. socaldeac

Anyone ever been to a Wake golf match? I'm thinking about going on Sunday.

Yes. They come to a tournament in town every year. I'm about the only Wake fan. I walk with the players and sometimes ride along with Jerry Haas in his cart.
Over the years, I've probably seen 1/3 of the current players on the tour while they were in college.
Lots of fun........and its free.

One of the greatest WFU athletic events I ever attended was the 1986 NCAA Championship at Bermuda Run. Came back on the last day from a hug deficit to win. Mattiace, Andrade, Chris Kite, Tim Straub were a great team.

One of the greatest WFU athletic events I ever attended was the 1986 NCAA Championship at Bermuda Run. Came back on the last day from a hug deficit to win. Mattiace, Andrade, Chris Kite, Tim Straub were a great team.

While college golf is certainly an individual, non-revenue sport, it's still completely unacceptable that we've let a coach continue to decimate our historically strongest athletic program. It's even sadder to hear former players and potential recruits around NC that he's completely turned off from Wake Forest. I grew up playing golf with two kids that went to Wake Golf Camp for a few years, wanted to go to Wake to play golf, and then ended up going elsewhere in the ACC. They were both offered by Jerry, and one is doing very well on Tour in his first year. Hell, one our ACC Champions from back in the 60's doesn't even keep up with the program anymore because of Jerry. We've also had a few high-profile transfers over the past couple years. Rant over, but a change HAS to be made.

Wake's -2 early on. The top three teams haven't teed off yet, but Wake sits four shots back and is currently in a tie for second with Georgia Tech.

Virginia Tech is -7 on the day and is back to +3 for the tournament.

Current standings:

1. FSU -4
T2. GT E
T2. Wake E
T4. Clemson +1
T4. North Carolina +1
6. Virginia Tech +3
7. Virginia +4
T8. Boston College +5
T8. Notre Dame +5
10. N.C. State +6
11. Duke +7
12. Maryland +15

DeakFreke is such a miserable person. Got this negrep for asking if he could tag this thread with his "miserable fanbase" line:

"Fuck you, I'm definitely not the only who tags that. In fact, I've been pleasantly surprised by the number of times I've seen that tag knowing it wasn't mine."

So he's pleasantly surprised by the number of times he's seen it. Not offended because I called him out on, but merely because he's not the only one who tags it. Solid.

You're miserable.

Good 2nd round & have climbed to 4th only 7 strokes back now.

Team finshished second in 1987 with Mattiace, Fabyan, Eoghan O'Connell, Straub, and Mollica. O'Connell was mildly successful on the European Tour. Darren Clarke would have fit in very well on that team.

DeakFreke is such a miserable person. Got this negrep for asking if he could tag this thread with his "miserable fanbase" line:

"Fuck you, I'm definitely not the only who tags that. In fact, I've been pleasantly surprised by the number of times I've seen that tag knowing it wasn't mine."

So he's pleasantly surprised by the number of times he's seen it. Not offended because I called him out on, but merely because he's not the only one who tags it. Solid.

You're miserable.

he's lying his ass off.

While college golf is certainly an individual, non-revenue sport, it's still completely unacceptable that we've let a coach continue to decimate our historically strongest athletic program. It's even sadder to hear former players and potential recruits around NC that he's completely turned off from Wake Forest. I grew up playing golf with two kids that went to Wake Golf Camp for a few years, wanted to go to Wake to play golf, and then ended up going elsewhere in the ACC. They were both offered by Jerry, and one is doing very well on Tour in his first year. Hell, one our ACC Champions from back in the 60's doesn't even keep up with the program anymore because of Jerry. We've also had a few high-profile transfers over the past couple years. Rant over, but a change HAS to be made.

So he offered them but turned them off? How? Which ACC Champion and why?

4th. 7 shots out of 1st. Possible. Nice to see us actually play half decent at an ACC championship.

Back