• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Men's Golf Championship

And with that great fluky start we ended up shooting one of the worst rounds of the day. The team got a lead freaked out and fell apart. It happens.

But that is the classic definition of a choke.

Bunch of damn Johnny Millers, thinking every bad shot, hole, round, etc. is because of nerves.

The team didn't do shit on the final 11 holes, but it seems crazy to say Davis Womble who shot 77-72-70 choked on Sunday. Same for Danny Guise who shot 75-77-72, but he was -3 at one point in his round Sunday, so he clearly choked! Waugh looks like the guy who struggled the most; considering he was 2nd in the individual race heading into Sunday, it's possible he tightened up after his eagle on #4.

I am more likely to believe the guys were treeing on the 1st 6-7 holes and fell down to earth after that. As a team, we were 11 shots worse on the back 9 than front 9. GT shot the best round of the entire tournament Sunday to win the tournament by 6 shots. They were 9 shots worse on the back 9.

Never having seen any of these golfers hit a shot, I am going to hold off saying they choked.

Bunch of damn Johnny Millers, thinking every bad shot, hole, round, etc. is because of nerves.

The team didn't do shit on the final 11 holes, but it seems crazy to say Davis Womble who shot 77-72-70 choked on Sunday. Same for Danny Guise who shot 75-77-72, but he was -3 at one point in his round Sunday, so he clearly choked! Waugh looks like the guy who struggled the most; considering he was 2nd in the individual race heading into Sunday, it's possible he tightened up after his eagle on #4.

I am more likely to believe the guys were treeing on the 1st 6-7 holes and fell down to earth after that. As a team, we were 11 shots worse on the back 9 than front 9. GT shot the best round of the entire tournament Sunday to win the tournament by 6 shots. They were 9 shots worse on the back 9.

Never having seen any of these golfers hit a shot, I am going to hold off saying they choked.

+1
I have been tough on our previous performances but these kids shouldn't bear the blame for all the years of futility.
I am betting those who label the entire team a bunch of chokes (a) weren't there to see any of the golf and (b) haven't played in anything more serious than a member guest.

I mean, 3 of our 5 players had their worst 9's for the entire 3 round tournament on the back 9 the last day. Another had his 2nd worst 9 instead. I think people must have different definitions of choking than I do. If you start out with 3 straight birdies and then 5-putt 18 to shoot even, it's still choking, even if even is a good score.

Womble was the only player who showed up on the back 9 on Sunday. They have tons of potential, but no real way to sugarcoat this one. Our other 4 were +10 on the final 9 alone. Combine their previous 6 back 9's in the first 2 rounds and they were -4.

IMO, kind of hard to call it a choke when WF was seeded 6th and finished 6th. GT was the top ranked team in the ACC, and they won. BTW, WF had played in mulitple tournaments going back to the Fall against GT, Clemson, UVA and VT, and never finished ahead of any of them in any tournament. This really makes it hard to claim that losing to the same teams again was a choke.

Also, WF was playing ahead of the GT groups; so, while WF technically held the "lead" it was a function of WF having played more holes than GT as the winning score was going to be substantially under par. I understand that WF had a bad final 9 holes, but based upon the final results, that was as much of function of a team performing back to the norm as opposed to choking.

Perceive a choke when a favored team loses to a less talented team. Not when teams that have beaten you all year continue to beat you.

Last edited:
IMO, kind of hard to call it a choke when WF was seeded 6th and finished 6th. GT was the top ranked team in the ACC, and they won. BTW, WF had played in mulitple tournaments going back to the Fall against GT, Clemson, UVA and VT, and never finished ahead of any of them in any tournament. This really makes it hard to claim that losing to the same teams again was a choke.

Alos, WF was playing ahead of the GT groups; so, while WF technically held the "lead" it was a function of WF having played more holes than GT as the winning score was going to be substantially under par. I understand that WF had a bad final 9 holes, but based upon the final results, that was as much of function of a team performing back to the norm as opposed to choking.

Perceive a choke when a favored team loses to a less talented team. Not when teams that have beaten you all year continue to beat you.

So it's impossible to choke if you were favored to lose?

I'd rather focus on the fact that this team put themselves in a position to "choke", if you want to use that term. Not only that, they had the balls to go out and grab the lead with a great first 7 holes, when they knew they had to. Team is anchored by a freshman, who already had an individual win this year (only like the 5th frosh in WFU history to do so), and its likely that only he and Guise will be regulars in the line up next year.

This was a mediocre team with upside, so if you want to call it a choke then fine, but they basically ended up exactly where they should have. And I would ignore the aggregate final 9 hole score. Once we realized GT was on a roll and the tournament was over, it's nearly impossible to psychologically fight through that and keep a good round together. They lost this tournament in the middle part of the round, not the end of it.

I mean, 3 of our 5 players had their worst 9's for the entire 3 round tournament on the back 9 the last day. Another had his 2nd worst 9 instead. I think people must have different definitions of choking than I do. If you start out with 3 straight birdies and then 5-putt 18 to shoot even, it's still choking, even if even is a good score.

Womble was the only player who showed up on the back 9 on Sunday. They have tons of potential, but no real way to sugarcoat this one. Our other 4 were +10 on the final 9 alone. Combine their previous 6 back 9's in the first 2 rounds and they were -4.

Of course, that's still choking. The situation you describe is a much bigger choke. We had a slow bleed after 6-7 holes, much like Jordan Speith did at The Masters.

Did Jordan Speith choke at the Masters? He was -3 through 7 holes (-8 for the tournament; 2 shot lead) and didn't make a birdie after that and lost by 3. His final 9 was the worst 9 he had the entire tournament.

Our team had little chance to win. When we led briefly on Sunday, GT had not started yet. We put good scores up on an easy part of the course. When GT did that (-12 on the 1st 8 holes Sunday), they were going to crush us no matter what we did the rest of the way.

tl;dr Our play was disappointing Sunday, but not a choke.

Wake will play in the Raleigh regional with GT, Washington, FSU, Texas A&M, Mercer, Kentucky, Texas Tech, (Wake), South Alabama, Memphis, Minnesota, Rice & Behune-Cookman.

The event will be held at the Lonnie Poole Golf Course on May 15-17.

+1
I have been tough on our previous performances but these kids shouldn't bear the blame for all the years of futility.
I am betting those who label the entire team a bunch of chokes (a) weren't there to see any of the golf and (b) haven't played in anything more serious than a member guest.

Absofuckinglutely. The only people who should comment on college sports are a) people who played or coached at the college level, and b) go to every game. Everybody else GTFO.

Women's Golf has really Wake Forested the end of their season.

We have moved up some and are only a few shots out of 8th with teams still in the course.

Marissa Dodd going 6 over on the par 5s with a 10 really killed our 1st round score. She is our best player.

Last edited:
Well except for the fact that wake isn't actually 21st after day one. Wake will be fine. Were only two shots behind Clemson who is a top 15 team and there are two days left. Get top 8 and get out of dodge

Well except for the fact that wake isn't actually 21st after day one. Wake will be fine. Were only two shots behind Clemson who is a top 15 team and there are two days left. Get top 8 and get out of dodge

We were 13th after Day 1. C'mon HowBout, if you would have looked at the scores with more than a passing glance yesterday, you could have seen we weren't going to finish anywhere near 21 after the 1st round.

Wake currently in seventh but are off last today so they will likely keep adding strokes, course looks difficult. Up by six shots on Clemson today though which is a good start (four total, started the day two behind them) and were playing in the same group. If we can finish better than +30 after today we should be in solid shape.

I'm a d2 golfer and didn't pay a lick of attention to any golf outside my conference, besides the pros, but does anybody know how their season was (weather wise)? I'm not sure where all their tournaments are located, but we played throughout the state and TN and shit this spring was absolutely brutal weather to play golf in. Also on another side note, I finished up conferences in Mid April and regionals wrapped up yesterday (maybe 2 days ago). Its interesting that the D1 guys go this much later than D2.

Wake probably going to be outside the top 8 going into tomorrow. Top four teams are still on the course but are way ahead and then everyone except Wake and Clemson between 5th and 24th are finished. Wake is tied for 8th right now but are only on 13-15 as a team and will likely fall a few more shots (+13 for the day, on pace for around +17). That would put the Deacs in 12th, four shots out of advancing with one day to play.

Back