• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Player of the Year - Football

Who will be the ACC POTY ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Biff Tannen

Franchise Quarterback on a Rookie Contract
Staff Member
Reaction score
The ACC media writers selected Devin Leary as ACC Preseason Player of the Year. But who will it actually be ?

Leary led the 2022 ACC Preseason Player of the Year balloting with 40 votes, followed by Wake Forest quarterback Sam Hartman (30) and Miami quarterback Tyler Van Dyke (21). A total of 11 players received votes.

Hartman's numbers aren't going to be great because of missing the first few games against lesser opponents, but if he comes back against Clemson and lights it up, anything is possible.

I've included the top seven vote getters from ACC media days, plus DJ and Slovis.

I'm gonna throw a surprising name out there and say Drake Maye. He's got some gaudy stats so far, though against inferior competition and including a shootout at App State.

He seems to have some rushing ability, which is always going to look good for a QB.

I hope his play falls off a cliff when he plays ACC teams, but I figure why not take a shot at an upset.

ATS can't resist taking the field.

None of those choices blow me away.

Kenny Pickett won last year and was not one of the top 7 vote getters in the preseason All-ACC.

Sam Howell, NC (114) !!!
D'Eriq King, Mia (11)
Bryan Bresee, Clem (8)
DJ Uiagalelei, Clem (6)
Phil Jerkovec, BC (3)
Zay Flowers, BC (2)
Jahmyr Gibbs, GT (2)

Also, Pitt was 66-1 to win the ACC last year prior to the season. That would have been a nice ticket to cash.

I guess if you think Miami can with the coastal, Van Dyke is a good bet. That's where I'd go if I had to choose from this list of 7. But yeah, I voted "Other".

I'm gonna throw a surprising name out there and say Drake Maye. He's got some gaudy stats so far, though against inferior competition and including a shootout at App State.

He seems to have some rushing ability, which is always going to look good for a QB.

I hope his play falls off a cliff when he plays ACC teams, but I figure why not take a shot at an upset.

Surprising how? He’s the new UNC QB. Media loves him already. And he looks pretty good.

Maye was a high 4-star recruit who recommitted from Alabama. Nick Saban shied up at his high school to watch him play a basketball game. I guess it’s surprising if you consider him an ACC POTY candidate already though.

Malik Cunningham has been eliminated. Gonna be hard to win POTY when your coach gets fired mid season.

Surprising how? He’s the new UNC QB. Media loves him already. And he looks pretty good.

Maye was a high 4-star recruit who recommitted from Alabama. Nick Saban shied up at his high school to watch him play a basketball game. I guess it’s surprising if you consider him an ACC POTY candidate already though.

Fuck me, I guess...I guess I was looking at the fact that the ACC is returning:

PASSING YDS: 3 of the Top 16 (2 more in the Top 50)
PASSING TDs: 4 of the Top 27 (including 3 of the Top 12)
PASS RTG: 5 of the Top 50
RUSH YDS: 4 of the Top 50 (2 of the Top 25, 1 of Top 6)
RUSH TDs: 4 Top 50 (2 Top 20, 1 Top 4)
TOTAL YDS (PASS+RUSH): 5 of the Top 50 (including 3 of the Top 10 and 2 of the Top 5)
TOTAL TDs (PASS+RUSH): 4 of the Top 10 (one tied for 2nd ahem)
REC YDS: 5 of the Top 50 (incl. 4 Top 30, 3 Top 17, 2 Top 13)
REC TDs: 4 of the Top 43 [actually 4 within the 9 highest # of TDs] and Tied for #2 in the nation ahem

All of THOSE GUYS.......PLUS....UNC got a new offensive line coach, lost 3 O-Linemen to the NFL off a line that was TERRIBLE, lost their top 2 rushers............and the fact that he's a FRESHMAN.

A R-Fr at a school with poor offensive line play, a whole new starting group, a new OL Coach and new running attack, and already starting a step behind all of the guys listed above wouldn't be most people's first guess as a player designated the best player in their conference.

Sooo....yeah 🤷‍♂️

/rant

ANYWAYYYY.....How's that prediction looking so far? A little against the grain at first (at least to me, anyway), but holding up pretty well half-way thru the season.

Speaking of which, it's the halfway point....who do ya got thus far? Is it the same as your preseason guess? Any surprises?

I'm sticking with Drake Maye as my pick, but the fact that Sam is within 20 yds of #2 in passing yards and is #2 in TDs and #3 in Passer Rating having played 1 less game is pretty goddamn incredible, so he's a close 2nd...well probable 2A with Izzy Abanikanda being 2B.

Who is in your 1st team so far? (I'm only doing Offense skill players because I don't do well analyzing O-Linemen or defensive players/stats

QB - Drake Maye (UNC) [1,903 yds, 21 TDs, 3 INTs, 69.4%, 185.1 RTG / 308 rush yds, 3 rush TDs]

RB - Israel Abanikanda (PITT) [830 rush yds, 12 rush TDs / 59 rec yds, 1 rec TD, 6.4 ypc)
RB - Sean Tucker (SYR) [546 rush yds, 5 rush TDs / 184 rec yds, 1 rec TD, 5.0 ypc]

WR - Zay Flowers (BC) [556 rec yds, 5 rec TDs]
WR - A.T. Perry (WAKE) [482 rec yds, 4 rec TDs]

Second Team?

QB - Sam Hartman (WAKE) [1,442 yds, 16 TDs, 2 INT, 64.7%, 175.8 RTG / 64 rush yds, 0 TDs]

RB - Will Shipley (CLEM) [446 rush yds, 8 rush TDs, 5.9 ypc]
RB - Treshaun Ward (FSU) [488 rush yds, 3 rush TDs 6.8 ypc]

WR - Johnny Wilson (FSU) [417 rec yds, 3 rec TDs]
WR - Kaleb Smith (VT) [402 rec yds, 2 rec TDs]

(I know Keytaon Thompson and Tyler Hudson have more yds than those two but they have 0 TDs and these two have done it in fewer receptions)

[Honorable Mentions]

QB - DJ Uiagalelei (CLEM) [1,462 yds, 14 TDs, 2 INTs, 64.2%, 151.1 RTG / 311 rush yds, 3 rush TDs, 4.6 ypc]

RB - Malik Cunningham (LOU) [457 rush yds, 9 rush TDs, 6.4 ypc]
RB - Justice Ellison (WAKE) [396 rush yds, 3 rush TDs, 4.9 ypc]
RB - Omarion Hampton (UNC) [329 rush yds, 6 rush TDs, 4.6 ypc]

WR - Jahmal Banks (WAKE) [306 rec yds, 5 rec TDs]

A little LOL thing I saw somewhere on ESPN, I think, said after Izzy's 320 yd/6 TD game some news reporter should write a headline of "Abanikanda don't want none unless you got runs, hun"

I lol'd pretty hard at that.

I don’t know why he’s not a bigger NFL prospect. He’s got great size, nice arm, great pocket presence. He should be one of the top prospects for 2024.

The stench of last season takes time to cleanse.

He’s eligible for the 2023 draft if he wants to go

Back