• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Player of the Year - Football

Who will be the ACC POTY ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know but he doesn’t have the hype yet and it’s a strong class.

I don’t know why he’s not a bigger NFL prospect. He’s got great size, nice arm, great pocket presence. He should be one of the top prospects for 2024.
He does have great size. But my question would be though, is he able to lose weight in a single offseason? I haven't heard anything mentioned about this, but that has to be weighing on everyone's mind at this point.

He does have great size. But my question would be though, is he able to lose weight in a single offseason? I haven't heard anything mentioned about this, but that has to be weighing on everyone's mind at this point.
I see what you did there, lol

After today, Sam is only 528 yds, 3 TDs, 306 rush yds, 2 rush TDs behind Drake Maye.

It's not INSANELY unreasonable to say that Sam could have equal passing stats to Drake had he played in Week 1....especially since it was VMI.

Depends on how UNC plays versus Wake, but their schedule is much easier than ours, and their marquee opponent (other than a Top 10 Wake team) was supposed to be Notre Dame....they lost to a current 4-3 ND team in a game that wasn't as close as our 2OT thriller vs Top 5 Clemson.

Unless Maye gets hurt or collapses down the stretch, I don't think there's any chance Sam can overtake Maye and the media's obsession with UNC, but IMHO I think Sam is POY

If Wake can win out and Sam plays well I think he might garner POY. He could hold a number of ACC career passing records that would be supported by the two eleven win seasons. When you leave competition at the top of career ACC offensive categories, recognition often follows.

After today, Sam is only 528 yds, 3 TDs, 306 rush yds, 2 rush TDs behind Drake Maye.

It's not INSANELY unreasonable to say that Sam could have equal passing stats to Drake had he played in Week 1....especially since it was VMI.

Awards aren’t directly determined by stat leaders anyway. Maye is throwing his arm off to carry a team with no defense. Sam has been fortunate to play for a team that can actually build a big lead and take their foot off the gas. We score 45 and win by 20, Carolina scores 55 and wins by 3.

The UNC game is going to carry some weight here.

Awards aren’t directly determined by stat leaders anyway. Maye is throwing his arm off to carry a team with no defense. Sam has been fortunate to play for a team that can actually build a big lead and take their foot off the gas. We score 45 and win by 20, Carolina scores 55 and wins by 3.
Of course, I'm just saying the main reason Maye is the "runaway favorite" right now is because he's a game up on Sam. Give Sam an extra game at just his average stats so far this year and he'd have the following stat line currently:

Current Average:
21 of 32 (65.6%), 293 yds, 4 TDs, 1 INT, 179.9 RTG, 73.7 QBR (QBR is an extensive formula w/no way of determining that, I just took the average, plus TDs and INTs rounded up from 3.5 and 0.5 respectively)
with 8 rushes,12 yds, 1.56 ypc, 0 TD (I know that's useless stat, but still including it).

His totals would be:
145 of 225 (64.4%), 2048 yds, 25 TDs, 4 INT, 174.0 RTG, 73.7 QBR (estimated)
55 rushes, 83 yds, 1.51 ypc, 1 TD

Drake Maye thru 7:
162 of 231 (70.1%), 2283 yds, 24 TD, 3 INT, 184.8 RTG, 88.6 QBR
84 rushes, 278 yds, 4.5 ypc, 3 TD

Considering schedules and how we've played, against better teams than they have, I'd be hard pressed to say Maye is the POY outright. Though the rushing stats are hard to ignore. Still, a portion of POY should always include the best players on the best teams...even though we have the same records, I'd say we would be widely considered the better team.

So anyway, there are my arguments for Sam as POY thus far...as if anyone here needed convincing. (If anyone can't tell, I get very bored late Saturday nights/Early Sunday mornings)

ESPN finally got their heads out of their asses and ranked Sam as the #5 Heisman Hopeful in this week's recap article. Pretty cool.

Of course, I'm just saying the main reason Maye is the "runaway favorite" right now is because he's a game up on Sam. Give Sam an extra game at just his average stats so far this year and he'd have the following stat line currently:

Current Average:
21 of 32 (65.6%), 293 yds, 4 TDs, 1 INT, 179.9 RTG, 73.7 QBR (QBR is an extensive formula w/no way of determining that, I just took the average, plus TDs and INTs rounded up from 3.5 and 0.5 respectively)
with 8 rushes,12 yds, 1.56 ypc, 0 TD (I know that's useless stat, but still including it).

His totals would be:
145 of 225 (64.4%), 2048 yds, 25 TDs, 4 INT, 174.0 RTG, 73.7 QBR (estimated)
55 rushes, 83 yds, 1.51 ypc, 1 TD

Drake Maye thru 7:
162 of 231 (70.1%), 2283 yds, 24 TD, 3 INT, 184.8 RTG, 88.6 QBR
84 rushes, 278 yds, 4.5 ypc, 3 TD

Considering schedules and how we've played, against better teams than they have, I'd be hard pressed to say Maye is the POY outright. Though the rushing stats are hard to ignore. Still, a portion of POY should always include the best players on the best teams...even though we have the same records, I'd say we would be widely considered the better team.

So anyway, there are my arguments for Sam as POY thus far...as if anyone here needed convincing. (If anyone can't tell, I get very bored late Saturday nights/Early Sunday mornings)
In the same way that I’m sure ManMan would have traded ACCPOY for the Carolina postseason, I’m way more focused on what we can accomplish as a team. Sam will get his flowers.

Back