• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Sports Journal: If Jim Grobe Is Staying, Who’s Going?

Anyone forward this to Hatch/Wellman?

One major issue: the statement that the defense showed signs of improvement. Can't see any conceivable way to make that case. Players not knowing assignment, worst tackling team in school history, probably our worst ever in allowing 3rd and longs to be converted. This was the worst D I have seen in 25 years.

Is that a poster writing that?

I was thinking the same thing- nice board recap. If Grobe thinks those comments and ideas come from other programs, he is as delusional as our Buzzy Boy.

Grobe's comment about other schools starting the rumor is disappointing. In years past he would never make such a lame claim (not as bad as "not to make excuses"). Between that comment and his not wanting to suspend the dope smokers show that the money or the pressure to win (as small as it may be at Wake) are turning him into just another coach. Maybe not "riding a motorcycle with a 25 year old blonde who is engaged to someone else) bad but someone who is certainly not representing the way he used to.

Yeah Jim, because other programs are REALLY worried about Wake Forest beating them or stealing recruits.

One major issue: the statement that the defense showed signs of improvement. Can't see any conceivable way to make that case. Players not knowing assignment, worst tackling team in school history, probably our worst ever in allowing 3rd and longs to be converted. This was the worst D I have seen in 25 years.

In terms of scoring defense, I think the D 2 years ago was the worst. I'll have to check the numbers on my computer. I think that's what they were talking about. "Improvement" in the most literal sense.

FIFY

In terms of scoring defense, I think the D 2 years ago was the worst. I'll have to check the numbers on my computer. I think that's what they were talking about. "Improvement" in the most IMAGINARY sense.

Is that a poster writing that?

Without a doubt.

Not that there was much of a question throughout the entire article but after the blurb about the defense "improving" the author might as well have signed off as:

Sincerely,
OGBoards.com poster

He's a loyal BSD reader.

But seriously, if you've watched Wake at all it's pretty easy to come to these conclusions. It's unusual when 95%+ of the fanbase feels the same way.

It is funny how the Boards have inched closer and closer to speaking with a unified hive-mind.

Grobe's comment about other schools starting the rumor is disappointing. In years past he would never make such a lame claim (not as bad as "not to make excuses"). Between that comment and his not wanting to suspend the dope smokers show that the money or the pressure to win (as small as it may be at Wake) are turning him into just another coach. Maybe not "riding a motorcycle with a 25 year old blonde who is engaged to someone else) bad but someone who is certainly not representing the way he used to.

This one got me too:
“I feel great about where we are. I wish we could start tomorrow getting ready.”

Sounds eerily like "Oh, heaven's yes!" and "I couldn't be happier."

I like optimism and all, but we have steadily declined for six years. I think there needs to be a bit more urgency, but that is not the way JG or WF for that matter approaches things. Also, I understand an "old school" guy like Grobe wants to go out on a better note, but I'm much more concerned with the future of WF football than Grobe's legacy.

If JG's intention is to stay on and on, he will have to be fired at some point. This will be a really tough call for Mr Wellman.

Last edited:
If JB's intention is to stay on and on, he will have to be fired at some point. This will be a really tough call for Mr Wellman.

Why? Not many coaches survive 4 straight losing seasons. If next season makes 5 then he's got to go.

My bet is that he will run out his contract here. Yeah , that s not going to be good for the program.

Back