• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Sports Journal: Ron Wellman’s Risky Call

And I don't think I'm the lone Wellman critic, but I might be one of the few really attacking the root cause and not the symptom. You seem to have started...which IMO is a good thing. Less BzOut and more WellmanOut would be better IMO. He's the problem.

Let's get them both out - the sooner the better - and enough said.

You read into it [Redacted]'s not a total abomination to the coaching profession. I read into it taking the high road.
FIFY. See the difference?

I have to laugh at all the extremism on these boards. It's getting increasingly absurd. And sure, coaches are going to stay (and join in Chill's case) with a total loser JUST because they're taking the high road.

LOL....here comes the "pound any speck of anything good from a poster" smear.

What list? I"m referring to Chill and Tony C. I'm just stating fact. It's awfully strange to me that coaches have stayed on (while some of them have been slammed via culture), they say good things about the guy to the chagrin of the haters, and even a former Wake player says good things....ALL knowing how much the guy is hated by the fans....yet at least half of the people here think he's a complete and utter disgrace to the coaching profession.

Something doesn't add up.

First, just half thinks he's a complete and utter disgrace to the coaching profession? Your math is Charles Barkley TURRIBLE.

Second, people in life sometimes have ulterior motives. Sometimes they say things they don't mean. Some posters have decided that may apply to Childress and/or Chennault. Does it? Only Childress and Chennault know for sure, but 100% taking them at their word is as naive and foolish as being 100% convinced they're lying.

LOL....here comes the "pound any speck of anything good from a poster" smear.

What list? I"m referring to Chill and Tony C. I'm just stating fact. It's awfully strange to me that coaches have stayed on (while some of them have been slammed via culture), they say good things about the guy to the chagrin of the haters, and even a former Wake player says good things....ALL knowing how much the guy is hated by the fans....yet at least half of the people here think he's a complete and utter disgrace to the coaching profession.

Something doesn't add up.

Maybe he or his daughter is a nice person and the people who know him/her don't want to hurt his/her feelings. Maybe Chill has better sense than to publicly criticize one of his athletic department employees. None of that excuses the fact that Buzz IS a "complete and utter disgrace to the coaching profession."

Last edited:

I have to laugh at all the extremism on these boards. It's getting increasingly absurd. And sure, coaches are going to stay (and join in Chill's case) with a total loser JUST because they're taking the high road.

You don't have to. You choose to. You write like a ninth grader. Do you have to or choose to?

Can you name a coach worse than Jeff [Redacted]? Seriously. Go.

What the fuck are you talking about? Wellman had to have seen things were messed up (in his mind) when Dino was extended and thought he could get Dino to change his methods. What changed was the media (and fans) pounding Dino that spring AFTER the extension so Wellman must of felt the need to make a change for whatever reason after Dino refused to change his methods. I don't think things were messed up personally so how in the hell am I spouting talking points?

My thesis from the start was BAD FIT and that there was no reason to fire Dino. Are you going to somehow construe those into the AD talking points in another ridiculous attempt to discredit my opinion? ROFLOL.

And I don't think I'm the lone Wellman critic, but I might be one of the few really attacking the root cause and not the symptom. You seem to have started...which IMO is a good thing. Less BzOut and more WellmanOut would be better IMO. He's the problem.

Premier Wellman listened to the fans? What are you smoking?

What the fuck are you talking about? Wellman had to have seen things were messed up (in his mind) when Dino was extended and thought he could get Dino to change his methods. What changed was the media (and fans) pounding Dino that spring AFTER the extension so Wellman must of felt the need to make a change for whatever reason after Dino refused to change his methods. I don't think things were messed up personally so how in the hell am I spouting talking points?

My thesis from the start was BAD FIT and that there was no reason to fire Dino. Are you going to somehow construe those into the AD talking points in another ridiculous attempt to discredit my opinion? ROFLOL.

Started? I never jumped on the Wellman bandwagon. I was critical of Wellman when it was far from the cool thing to do. Most of this board wants Wellman gone. You are not "one of the few". You're just someone who rarely reads and posts who trots on here like he has all the answers when you're just repeating things that have been rebuffed time after time.

Again, this is what Wellman said when asked about Dino's extension:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/story/6211833/

Oct 14, 2009

WINSTON-SALEM – Wake Forest University Director of Athletics Ron Wellman announced Wednesday that basketball coach Dino Gaudio has received a contract extension through the 2013-14 season.

“Dino has continued to move our basketball program forward, much as was anticipated when he was hired two years ago,” said Wellman. “We are pleased with the progress of the student-athletes, both on and off the court, and Dino is responsible for that progress.”

---------

And just to set the scene, this is 6 months after Teague and Johnson declared for the draft and 7 months after Cleveland State and the alleged "rape" that got future team captain under [Redacted] Gary Clark "arrested".

Here is Dan Collins' article on Dino's extension. Hard to believe Dan hasn't taken this right to Wellman:
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...cle_3f2d8471-ceef-508f-b895-c84bac08dc94.html

"I think he's deserving of it," Wellman said. "His first two years were, I think, symbolic of what he can do for our program and with our program. He's done a good job in all phases of the program. If you look at the academic performance of our team, the athletic performance of our team, the recruitment, then he's done a good job in all areas.

Gaudio and Wellman mentioned the impact of staff stability on recruiting. Gaudio has recruited a five-man class considered one of the nation's most promising for the 2010 recruiting year.
"If you have the right guy, you want to keep the right guy because those commitments are only verbal commitments," Wellman said. "And they're more to a coach than anything else at that early stage. I think the commitment gets stronger to the institution as it goes along."

I don't think that's true at all. The absolute worst thing that could happen right now is to have another weak hire......the NCSU path......and there is no reason to think that won't happen given the last 2 weak hires, the building lack of confidence in Wellman, and the trend of having a 3 year trigger which everyone ignores. I think it's actually less risky to keep him.

Since Buzz's numbers are record setting lows in just about every immaginable category, how do you figure that someone else could be worse, or even the same. Possible but very, very unlikely.

Very well said. Further reason why the object of my rancor has shifted from Bz to Wellman. It's all on Ron after this. Hope he's enjoyed the wrath Bz has endured because it's all coming for him for the duration of the Bz tenure. #wellmanout

I think the swapping part was the mindset, but Wellman clearly saw a fucked up machine which is why he made the change. Where Wellman gaffed was thinking Dino = Bz in any fashion what so ever. Soon after Bz was hired, it was clear the FIT between him and the recruits/coaches was bad (a mismatch forced by Wellman) which then forced repurification of the program instead of the swap/tweak originally envisioned by Wellman. The repurification led to 2 years of extra misery and the "fresh start" happening in year 3.

Last edited:
Probably not absurd to say we would take any of the 68 coaches in the NCAA tournament over [Redacted].

Or any of about 200 other head coaches in Division I, not to mention dozens of top assistants and even some coaches down in DII as well.

Can you name a coach worse than Jeff [Redacted]? Seriously. Go.
Historically, I could think of a couple. But currently, no, there is no one worse than Jeff [Redacted]. We literally have the worst coach in America. Good job, good effort, Ron.

Historically, I could think of a couple. But currently, no, there is no one worse than Jeff [Redacted]. We literally have the worst coach in America. Good job, good effort, Ron.

Who's your historical list? The ACC all-time worst still have an edge on Bz. I'd take Les, Shyatt, and Wade over Bz every day.

Bob Staak was the only coach even comparable to Buzz and even Staak had a .395 winning percentage. We also got rid of him after 3 years. Buzz is no doubt the worst coach in D1 today. What is sad is that he was not in the top 200 at the time czar Wellman decided he was THE answer to our inability to get past the first round of the NCAA tourney and ACC tourney. Hell now we would have a hard time getting past the first round of the big south tourney. The way I see it Wellman thought Rusty ws the long term answer and looked to his friend Buzz to "fill the gap" until Rusty was ready. Well rusty is not ready and is only hurting his career by hanging around our loosing program.

Yep. He shoehorned Rusty into Dino's staff then brought his buddy over to mentor him. Wellman thinks he's a freakin' genius.

Back