• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC to try 30-second shot clock, join modern basketball era

I've said several things related to the shorter shot clock...in quite a bit of detail. The fact that you may not like or agree with what I've said does not negate the fact that my statements were directly related to the subject.

You have said several things related to the shorter shot clock, in quite a bit of detail. Never said that you didn't. But what you've said has been about results in single games (tournament games) or about how the college game has changed in general. And nothing in response to the numerous counterpoints offered by numbers, 07, etc.

Good idea in theory, but remember these are college offenses. Can you imagine how many awful shots would be thrown up

Tread carefully, sir ... these guys don't react well to logic. ;)

30 is a good number for college. 35 is just so freaking long. 24 is probably too short given the skill level of your average college team. As someone said earlier, there is nothing worse than seeing a team go through 3 sets and the defense stop them each time and then they finally luck into a good shot.

30 is a good number for college. 35 is just so freaking long. 24 is probably too short given the skill level of your average college team. As someone said earlier, there is nothing worse than seeing a team go through 3 sets and the defense stop them each time and then they finally luck into a good shot.

This is the correct answer.

/endthread.

Big difference in the two situations. In a 64-team tournament the first game is against a team that would not even be in the tournament when the tournament was only 32 teams. Tacy beat a 26-1 Arkansas team and a 24-2 DePaul team on the way to those two Elite Eights. No WF coach has done anything remotely comparable to that in the 29 years since Carl left.

ETA: Tacy's 1st round opponents in those two tournaments were 26-1 Arkansas & Kansas. That ain't exactly Chattanooga & Manhattan.

probably because the 05' team had a much better regular season than Tacy's two teams. Tacy was an above average coach at best and it was time for him to move on. Get over it.

For someone who has apparently watched so much basketball (though not Wake Basketball for 20+ years, what a fan) it's amazing how little you know about the game.

Big difference in the two situations. In a 64-team tournament the first game is against a team that would not even be in the tournament when the tournament was only 32 teams. Tacy beat a 26-1 Arkansas team and a 24-2 DePaul team on the way to those two Elite Eights. No WF coach has done anything remotely comparable to that in the 29 years since Carl left.

ETA: Tacy's 1st round opponents in those two tournaments were 26-1 Arkansas & Kansas. That ain't exactly Chattanooga & Manhattan.

You get seeded against worse teams when you're better. I realize that's a difficult concept to grasp though.

And good coaches find ways to win games against higher-seeded opponents. WF has had coaches who never did that in their entire career.

Carl Tacy never lost an NCAAT game against a team he was supposed to beat. Skip Prosser did....and also never won an NCAAT game against a team when he was supposed to lose.

Right so I'll take the guy who competed at a higher level over the regular season since that sample size is bigger.

Nobody was really ripping on Tacy, you just love to bring him up and then get angry when people talk about him.

Bob sure does have a lot of emo feelings about seasons and games he never watched

Winners don't get nicknamed "Gentleman." That's a nickname for runner-ups.

And good coaches find ways to win games against higher-seeded opponents. WF has had coaches who never did that in their entire career.

Carl Tacy never lost an NCAAT game against a team he was supposed to beat. Skip Prosser did....and also never won an NCAAT game against a team when he was supposed to lose.

Good coaches find ways to not play higher-seeded opponents.

Coach K has lost far more games to lower seeds than he has won vs. higher seeds.

The same goes for Bob Knight

Last edited:
Lauding being a lower-seed in the NCAA tourney to put yourself in the position of upsetting teams is very, very LOWF.

Which reminds me, I'm way late on posting the LOWF tutorial.

Speaking of "LOWF", I'll tell you how you could make a lot of money, Slim: Buy the Wake Forest Athletic Program's Potential for what it's worth....then sell it for what some people on this board seem to think it's worth. Huge markup for profit there.

(You might also be able to make that same profit with Chris Paul's potential to lead a team to a championship. After blowing a huge lead at home (again), it looks like he is headed for his usual 2nd-round flame-out.)

Go fuck yourself. You are a miserable human being and for all that you claim to do for the minorities of Randolph County (<10% of the population so call me skeptical) you are more than likely a racist old fucking white guy who gets off on the perceived failure of an athlete who has done more for Wake Forest than you have ever done for anything. If I was even 75% sure you were trolling I'd let this post go, but unfortunately I know there are far too many people like you that exist and am convinced that you at least halfway believe the bullshit that you post. You are a drain on society and this board and I look forward to the day when I don't have to deal with you and your kind.

Until then, stick to things you know something about, which is clearly not basketball, wake basketball, the NBA, or Chris Paul.

Again, Go fuck yourself.

Last edited:
Benedict, you're way too old to be typing out "LOL." It's unbecoming.

LOL. Can you even spell Len Chappell's name....the guy who led WF to its only FF in history? I'd guess that about one-fourth of the people on this board cannot. I've seen Len spelled "Lyn" and Chappell spelled "Chapel", "Chappel" & "Chapell". Also, roughly the same number don't know who Dickie Hemric is...and some that do think his name is spelled "Hemrick". Many couldn't tell you what "Gore Gym" is, or who Doc Murphy was. And they think that WF basketball began in 1994.

This is OWG perfection right hurrrr

LOL. Can you even spell Len Chappell's name....the guy who led WF to its only FF in history? I'd guess that about one-fourth of the people on this board cannot. I've seen Len spelled "Lyn" and Chappell spelled "Chapel", "Chappel" & "Chapell". Also, roughly the same number don't know who Dickie Hemric is...and some that do think his name is spelled "Hemrick". They've never heard of Lefty Davis, Jackie Murdock, Jack Williams, Jim Gilley, Ernie Wiggins or Dave Budd. They couldn't even tell you who Dave Wiedeman, Bob Woollard or Frank Christie were...guys who started on WF's only FF team. Many couldn't tell you what "Gore Gym" is, or who Doc Murphy was. And they think that WF basketball began in 1994.

I could tell you all of those except Gilley, Wiedeman and Christie off the top of my head. There's this thing called the internet that kind of neutralizes the fact that you are old. You being 70 years old doesn't mean you know anything about basketball and it certainly doesn't give you exclusive access to information. I've been following Wake basketball damn near religiously since 92. Which means for 14 years of my childhood I was watching Wake games while you were busy pouting because your OWG wet dream wasn't treated like you thought he should be.

Wake Basketball certainly didn't begin in 1994, but the two best players to ever come out of Wake Forest came after 1994. And the fact that you can't admit that is pathetic.

Back