• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Tourney Championship Will Now Be Played on Saturday Night

CHillDeac

Reaction score
The Atlantic Coast Conference men's basketball tournament will move to a Tuesday through Saturday format beginning in 2015, the league announced Tuesday. The new schedule will feature semifinal games on Friday night at 7 and 9 p.m. and a championship game at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday. All 14 tournament games will continue to be televised nationally by ESPN and the ACC Network.

All teams will play their final regular season game on the Saturday before the Tuesday games.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-tournament-moving-to-tuesday-saturday-format-in-2015/13640558/

The Atlantic Coast Conference men's basketball tournament will move to a Tuesday through Saturday format beginning in 2015, the league announced Tuesday. The new schedule will feature semifinal games on Friday night at 7 and 9 p.m. and a championship game at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday. All 14 tournament games will continue to be televised nationally by ESPN and the ACC Network.

All teams will play their final regular season game on the Saturday before the Tuesday games.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-tournament-moving-to-tuesday-saturday-format-in-2015/13640558/

I know I'm a traditionalist, but I really miss the 8 team ACC. 4 games on Friday involving all 8 teams, semi's on Saturday and final on Sunday. Now, we're going to be starting the tourney on a freaking Tuesday!!!!

Big 10, Big 12 and ACC are currently Sunday title games. Big East is Saturday Night. Not sure if ESPN has the Big East title game anymore or if it's with Fox. ESPN needed something on Saturday night. Swofford took the money

So ESPN has turned us into the old Big East. Makes me sick.

[Redacted] is going to be really pissed he didn't get a chance to lose on Tuesday as well.

[name redacted] is going to be really pissed he didn't get a chance to lose on Tuesday as well.

He never got to lose on Frida, Saturday or Sunday either.

This will help us get an extra days rest before having to travel to the second round site. OH wait, . . .!

Hate this. As if attendance weren't bad enough already, now there is only one game on the weekend and both the semis and finals are late night. Maybe it is better for TV, and I'm sure the ACC got paid for this, but it really sucks as someone who was hoping to have a reason to attend the weekend games some time in the near future.

Makes going to tourney a week long vacation, not good for anyone who has a job that requires attendance.

36675-Obama-says-Youre-Welcome-gif-m5kC_zps151b4bdd.gif

Saturday night is the proper time to hold the ACC Championship game. Like in the good old days. Besides, the teams get an extra day to get relax before getting ready for the NCAA Tournament.

Looking forward to the day when it matters to WF when the ACC Championship game will be played. If its the difference between losing on Tuesday versus Wednesday or even Thursday, the scheduling change does not matter.

Great move; the Sunday title game kinda sucks. The ACC title game was overshadowed by Selection Sunday. Primetime ACC semis and final should have a great atmosphere and won't be competing with other major conference tournaments in that time slot. The Big East really took advantage of the Friday and Saturday night ESPN games to turn its tournament into the best in college basketball, and the ACC has the opportunity to do the same.

I know I'm a traditionalist, but I really miss the 8 team ACC. 4 games on Friday involving all 8 teams, semi's on Saturday and final on Sunday. Now, we're going to be starting the tourney on a freaking Tuesday!!!!

Yeah, the 8-team ACC has more to do with tradition than when the final was played. Before '81 the "tradition" was playing on Sat. nights

Great move; the Sunday title game kinda sucks. The ACC title game was overshadowed by Selection Sunday. Primetime ACC semis and final should have a great atmosphere and won't be competing with other major conference tournaments in that time slot. The Big East really took advantage of the Friday and Saturday night ESPN games to turn its tournament into the best in college basketball, and the ACC has the opportunity to do the same.

I agree with this. I hate the 1st part of the tournament falls on Tuesday, but I much prefer the semis and finals time spots. No more rushing home to watch the selection show on Sunday at 6:00.

[name redacted] is going to be really pissed he didn't get a chance to lose on Tuesday as well.
He never got to lose on Frida, Saturday or Sunday either.

“I’ve tried everything. I’m not going to make any excuses. Tuesday is their toughest day academically. It starts at sun-up. I was aware of that, and I was trying to give them rest. I tried a different approach today, just giving them some rest. I don’t know.”

The New ACC sucks. I hate that my kids will never experience the way the tournament used to be played and the excitement surrounding it. Teachers wheeling the TV cart into class and watching the games...taking vacation days so you wouldn't miss a minute...the preacher cutting his sermon short on championship Sunday so everyone could get home and watch...and if you were lucky enough to get tickets you went to every session.

Now it's just meh. I know some of that is because we suck, but it's still not the same.

“I’ve tried everything. I’m not going to make any excuses. Tuesday is their toughest day academically. It starts at sun-up. I was aware of that, and I was trying to give them rest. I tried a different approach today, just giving them some rest. I don’t know.”

I never noticed this before. Did he think other days didn't start at sun-up?

Back