• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACCCG Attendance

Geez, if the #1 team in the country and a team playing in their 1st ACC title game, with their best team ever, and in state too, can't draw flies, then something is wrong here.

I think the ACC should go to the Pac12 model and make it a home game for the team with the better record. Just too much distance between some of the schools in the conference and not enough fan bases with 40,000 people that will travel any distance and pay any price.

Never have liked these conference title games...just a blood "money grab" that gums up the ratings, etc with the extra game.

I like the conference title games except in cases where a team who didn't make the conference championship is in a better spot than a team that makes it but loses. Happened last year where Florida got a BCS bowl because Georgia, who beat Florida to get to the SECCG, lost and went to the Capital One Bowl. Will happen again this year when Bama gets a BCS at large over either Mizzou or Auburn (obviously jumping Auburn is a better example than jumping Mizzou).

Edit to add: If the playoffs ever expand to 8 teams, I'd love a model with 5 conference championship game winners, highest ranked champion from the other conferences, and only 2 at larges. Just about forces teams to win the conference title game, makes those games more important and effectively round of 16 games.

Last edited:
I think the ACC should go to the Pac12 model and make it a home game for the team with the better record. Just too much distance between some of the schools in the conference and not enough fan bases with 40,000 people that will travel any distance and pay any price.
There'd be a huge discrepancy in $$ brought in if the game were played at Groves vs Death Valley. For that reason alone, I couldnt see the conference going with that model, unless us and a few other stadiums go through major additions to bring them more in line with the big boys.

ladyfriend is an impatient FSU grad so for the second year in a row I jumped the gun early and will be sitting around people who paid half as much.

There'd be a huge discrepancy in $$ brought in if the game were played at Groves vs Death Valley. For that reason alone, I couldnt see the conference going with that model, unless us and a few other stadiums go through major additions to bring them more in line with the big boys.

Yes, big difference between Groves/Wallace Wade in the worst case and Death Valley/Lane Stadium/Doak Campbell in the best case. But Groves or Wallace Wade would at least sell out for an ACCCG, and that's no different than 35,000 people in CLT. So even the worst case scenario of a home-field advantage model would be at least as good as current setup. Plus factor in the odds of Groves/WW hosting vs odds of a 60k+ stadium hosting - probably hosted by 1 of the 3 I named above at least 1/2 the time.

Every Sec team just shakes their head in disbelief and laughs

why on earth were Clemson and FSU put in the same division?

why on earth were Clemson and FSU put in the same division?

At the time it made sense to have Clemson/FSU in one division and Miami/VaTech in the other - as, presumably, the 4 strongest programs. Just like they split us and Duke as the two, shall we say, weaker programs. Funny - Wake and Duke were each picked last in their division the year they made the championship game...

So Wake & Duke have made the ACCCG before State and unc-ch. Haha. Duke is the 1st school not ending in Tech to make it from the Coastal.

Don't forget the Bowden influence for a yearly Bowden Bowl.

If it's 35 and raining the few thousand downstairs might move upstairs and get under the tarps.

At the time it made sense to have Clemson/FSU in one division and Miami/VaTech in the other - as, presumably, the 4 strongest programs. Just like they split us and Duke as the two, shall we say, weaker programs. Funny - Wake and Duke were each picked last in their division the year they made the championship game...

Well they should have used expansion as an excuse to reshuffle.

I typically would drive back home for this but saving money for Pasadena which is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Going with wife (FSU grad), her best friend (FSU grad), and her friend's husband. Just hoping the Noles destroy Dook if for no other reason that Dook being in the game makes me feel horrible about where we've recently been in FB.

For some reason I thought you married a Wake grad.

I think Duke only had around 2k when they played Wake in Winston (just over an hour trip) and it was their first ranked game in something like 19 years. Wake almost always brings that many to Duke even when we're bad.

Wake brings two thousand fans to away football games at Duke? Wow.

I did not know that
JohnnyCarson3.jpg

there couldn't have been many more than two thousand in the Joel at our last basketball game

Last edited:
Wake brings two thousand fans to away football games at Duke? Wow.

I did not know that
JohnnyCarson3.jpg

there couldn't have been many more than two thousand in the Joel at our last basketball game

Duke has always been the cheapest ticket in the conference. We have a lot of alums in the triangle. I can remember going to a Duke game a few years ago (maybe Barclay's Senior year) when the ushers literally handed out tickets at the gate.

Back