• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Accenture Match Play Championship

WilmingtonDeac

Reaction score
One of my favorite tournaments of the year. Mostly because I love the match play format. Hoping for some big time matchups this week.

Well, they're in a rain/snow delay now. Apparently ice is already forming on the greens. Doesn't sound good for getting anymore golf in today. 10 matches have yet to tee off.

2-20-snow-1-4_3_r536_c534.jpg

I am losing my mind listening to the radio announcers pronounce Marana incorrectly. I lived out there for a large part of my childhood and it's pronounced similar to banana. The announcers keep pronouncing it as "moron-ah."

And Webb gets our golf team the NCAA Death Penalty. WTG!

''I remember one year in Vegas in a collegiate tournament it was sleeting,'' said Webb Simpson, who played one shot. ''We all charged toboggans to our coach in the pro shop and he wasn't too happy about it. This is crazy weather. But we've got a great forecast for the weekend, so hopefully, it will melt tonight.''

I am losing my mind listening to the radio announcers pronounce Marana incorrectly. I lived out there for a large part of my childhood and it's pronounced similar to banana. The announcers keep pronouncing it as "moron-ah."

Was this the announcer?

4774136353_d58d2b9ccb_z.jpg

Starting today at 11:30 Eastern. TGC coverage starts at 12:30. Start this morning was delayed another hour because of frost worries. For the TV viewer, that is good news as some close matches might have been missed had they started at 10:30. Henley-Schwartzel AS thru 11 is a surprise. Charl has been on fire, and I had no idea Henley even qualified for this until yesterday.

Haas has a tough bracket. Colsaerts 1st round...know how dangerous he can be from the Ryder Cup. If Bill can somehow come back today, he is looking at more Euro Ryder Cup players if seeds hold in the next 2 rounds: Rose then Sergio. Love the randomness of the bracket in this tournament. You get some marquee matchups in the 1st round: Rose(2)-Choi(15), McDowell(5)-Harrington(12), etc. Think they said yesterday that lower seeds have won 40% of the matches in this event. Not sure if that was the 1st round or the entire tournament.

Match play golf is pretty unpredictable - probably more so than the first round of the NCAAs. All of these guys are so good that they can string together a few birdies and knock someone off.

There's no way they can get first and second round completed today, right?

Match play golf is pretty unpredictable - probably more so than the first round of the NCAAs. All of these guys are so good that they can string together a few birdies and knock someone off.

There's no way they can get first and second round completed today, right?

Easily my favorite format to play. I just love that you can go brain dead and make an 8 and only lose one hole.

Snowball fight!

Don't they have issues with frost at this tournament every year?

Yesterday they said the average temperature there was 71 degrees in February. Know they had some winter weather delay there 2 years ago.

No they will not be able to complete the 2nd round today. Based on the forecast this weekend, a Sunday finish should be no problem though.

Snowball fight!

Don't they have issues with frost at this tournament every year?

It's the desert. Temps drop below freezing overnight all the time.

This course is especially at risk because it's up the side of a mountain a ways above Tucson.

LK with the JCD of anything Arizona. Typical. :thumbsup:

I just asked a question - if it's a common concern, I just wonder why they don't figure out a better time to schedule it.

LK with the JCD of anything Arizona. Typical. :thumbsup:

I just asked a question - if it's a common concern, I just wonder why they don't figure out a better time to schedule it.

The main reason is that Tucson is one of the oldest stops on tour, and this was the traditional time of year for them to host an event. If they came down the mountain a bit and had it in town, they wouldn't get the snow.

Also, Accenture has a lot of say in the site since they use it to entertain clients. Going to the Ritz Carlton doesn't suck. That said, I think this may be the swan song for the match play at Dove Mountain. I could see it ending up in Vegas in the same schedule slot.

The main reason is that Tucson is one of the oldest stops on tour, and this was the traditional time of year for them to host an event. If they came down the mountain a bit and had it in town, they wouldn't get the snow.

Also, Accenture has a lot of say in the site since they use it to entertain clients. Going to the Ritz Carlton doesn't suck. That said, I think this may be the swan song for the match play at Dove Mountain. I could see it ending up in Vegas in the same schedule slot.

Hello, vacation.

Back