• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

According to GOP Akin: Pregnancy Doesn't Happen When Raped

I think it would still have been a big deal if he said forcible rape could cause pregnancy.

I think it would still have been a big deal if he said forcible rape could cause pregnancy.

Oh my bad. I had forgotten the whole pregnancy angle on this thing and was just thinking of the forcible/legitimate distinction. Duh.

It's not a perfect analogy, but some legal theorists propose a "battered women's syndrome" defense to murder that would apply even when traditional self-defense analysis wouldn't work. I don't know if any argue that the theory should be invoked in cases of purely emotional harm, but this theory would apply when the harm to the woman is something less than life-threatening.

It just seems cruel to force an innocent woman who was the victim of rape to carry a child she doesn't want--and did nothing to create--to term.

In that case the person who was killed is not innocent if he/she was psychologically abusive.

It seems to me that any comparisons to self defense are flawed in that the person that killed in self defense is generally the one that was the subject of abuse. There aren't legally sanctioned hit men who are allowed to commit murder in certain situations.

On your last point, I totally agree.

In that case the person who was killed is not innocent if he/she was psychologically abusive.

It seems to me that any comparisons to self defense are flawed in that the person that killed in self defense is generally the one that was the subject of abuse. There aren't legally sanctioned hit men who are allowed to commit murder in certain situations.

On your last point, I totally agree.

I agree it's not a perfect analogy. But the woman who was raped was/is also subject to abuse. In a way, she's being allowed to kill one of her abusers. This abuser doesn't have the intent to abuse, but traditional self defense law doesn't require the deceased to have the intent to kill either.

Hide-yo-wife.jpg

This is funny. Another Missouri Senate poll came out today done by PPP (a Dem pollster) showing McCaskill up by 1%. Time for Rasmussen to do another poll showing McCaskill up 10%.

Back