• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACCT Changes

Sounds good. If everybody gets in I was reading the format for conferences would have to go to 6 days and most don’t want that. Our Tuesday with 3 games has no crowd and they just don’t want two days like that.
Baseball takes only 12 so I don’t get the argument from basketball coaches that all teams should be in and have to play 6 games to win it.

Sounds good. If everybody gets in I was reading the format for conferences would have to go to 6 days and most don’t want that. Our Tuesday with 3 games has no crowd and they just don’t want two days like that.
Baseball takes only 12 so I don’t get the argument from basketball coaches that all teams should be in and have to play 6 games to win it.
I think it really sucks to not have everyone get a shot. That’s the whole beauty of the tournament. I remember that year Maryland played their way in way more than I remember any of the Duke titles. Expansion has just sucked the magic right out of sports.

I think it really sucks to not have everyone get a shot. That’s the whole beauty of the tournament. I remember that year Maryland played their way in way more than I remember any of the Duke titles. Expansion has just sucked the magic right out of sports.

It has. The ACC Tournament weekend used to be almost like a holiday for me. But expansion combined with Wake deciding to almost give up in basketball has pretty much killed any interest I have in it.

I think 18 teams is too many. But so is 15 for that matter.

If they are going to leave teams out they should just make it a 4 day, 12 team tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screw it. Let's get back to 8 team ACC.
Round robin home and home.
Friday- Sunday ACCT.

Suck it sec and big20 football- you ruined everything! :(
I’d love us to pull a Big East and say forget big time football, but that ship has sadly sailed.

Last edited:
Why stay with 15 and the two rounds of byes? Go to 16 teams, four days, and no byes.
Nah. The current setup protects the top 4 seeds from a bad upset or a close Q3/4 win that could cost them a tourney spot or seeding.

In fact, I could go for a 14 team, 5 bye set up to give a 5th team a leg up and prevent the 4 seed from getting stuck with a bad matchup.

First round (3 games) - 9 vs. 14, 10 vs. 13, 11 vs. 12
Second round (3 games) - 6 vs. 11/12, 7 vs. 10/13, 8 vs. 9/14
Quarterfinals - 1 vs. 8/9/14, 2 vs. 7/10/13, 3 vs. 6/11/12, 4 vs. 5

It has. The ACC Tournament weekend used to be almost like a holiday for me. But expansion combined with Wake deciding to almost give up in basketball has pretty much killed any interest I have in it.

I think 18 teams is too many. But so is 15 for that matter.

If they are going to leave teams out they should just make it a 4 day, 12 team tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, they do it now for baseball. Will be interesting to see what baseball does as we will have 16 baseball playing schools (which is a perfect 4 day bracket without double elimination, etc—just seed 1vs16, 2vs15. If they leave it at 12 the current pod deal still works with 4 teams out. But 4 pods of 4 (round robin) with a semi & a final stretched out too many days at 3 games a day max. That’s 5 games over a week.

Screw it. Let's get back to 8 team ACC.
Round robin home and home.
Friday- Sunday ACCT.

Suck it sec and big20 football- you ruined everything! :(
Don’t forget we were at the start of this crap ourselves. We raided the Big East for VT, Miami & BC back in 2005 then came back for Syracuse & Pitt in 2011.

Why stay with 15 and the two rounds of byes? Go to 16 teams, four days, and no byes.
How are you going to decide which half of the teams play in the nice arena in the round of 16, and which half get shipped to the 3,000-5,000 seat arena down the street (or 30 minutes away)? Because you can't play all 8 games in the same place on the same day.

That's a minor problem with that plan. The obvious answer is UNC and Duke get the big nice arena and who cares about the other two.

+1

Not a fan of byes in tournaments unless it's only one round due to the numbers. If you don't want to look bad before March Madness, don't lose to a worse team. 1 vs 16 still happens in the NCAAs. Playing for seeds should be enough. Having a double bye and potentially facing a team on a back-to-back-to-back is ridiculous.

Nah. The current setup protects the top 4 seeds from a bad upset or a close Q3/4 win that could cost them a tourney spot or seeding.

In fact, I could go for a 14 team, 5 bye set up to give a 5th team a leg up and prevent the 4 seed from getting stuck with a bad matchup.

First round (3 games) - 9 vs. 14, 10 vs. 13, 11 vs. 12
Second round (3 games) - 6 vs. 11/12, 7 vs. 10/13, 8 vs. 9/14
Quarterfinals - 1 vs. 8/9/14, 2 vs. 7/10/13, 3 vs. 6/11/12, 4 vs. 5
Places more importance on regular season results.

What has the ACC announced on regular season games? Play everyone once with three fewer home and homes?

How are you going to decide which half of the teams play in the nice arena in the round of 16, and which half get shipped to the 3,000-5,000 seat arena down the street (or 30 minutes away)? Because you can't play all 8 games in the same place on the same day.
I’m sure that’s easy to figure out. Go with something like the top 8 host the first round or the top four are host sites for two games each in the first round. No reason this should be an obstacle.

Something like:

1 v 16, 8 v 9 at 1’s house
2 v 15, 7 v 10 at 2’s house
3 v 14, 6 v 11 at 3’s house
4 v 13, 5 v 12 at 4’s house

+1

Not a fan of byes in tournaments unless it's only one round due to the numbers. If you don't want to look bad before March Madness, don't lose to a worse team. 1 vs 16 still happens in the NCAAs. Playing for seeds should be enough. Having a double bye and potentially facing a team on a back-to-back-to-back is ridiculous.

If you don’t want b2b2b then win more in the regular season. There has to be some reward for 95% of the games you play all season. The ACC would just hurt itself even more if bubble teams fail in those positions

Back