• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACCT Changes

Places more importance on regular season results.

What has the ACC announced on regular season games? Play everyone once with three fewer home and homes?
we'll get more home and homes once FSU leaves (and takes a few others with them)

Only top 12 teams.
First Round
12 vs. 5
11 vs. 6
10 vs. 7
9 vs. 8

Second Round
12/5 vs. 4
11/6 vs. 3
10/7 vs. 2
8/9 vs. 1

Winners Play in Semifinals

Semifinal Winners Play in Finals

I like 15. It means most of the bottom teams will continue trying through the regular season in order to get that tournament shot rather than mailing it in for 2 months before giving a last gasp effort in the tournament.

I’m sure that’s easy to figure out. Go with something like the top 8 host the first round or the top four are host sites for two games each in the first round. No reason this should be an obstacle.

Something like:

1 v 16, 8 v 9 at 1’s house
2 v 15, 7 v 10 at 2’s house
3 v 14, 6 v 11 at 3’s house
4 v 13, 5 v 12 at 4’s house
You said you wanted it to be a 4-day event. If you play 1st round games at home arenas, then move to a neutral site for the rest of the tournament, that makes it a minimum 6-day event adding travel days, plus it screws with the final weekend of your regular season schedule.

With the mega conferences, wonder if the expanded NCAAT field would find some way for each to do essentially two tournaments with two auto-bids. Marquee ACCT in Charlotte, and send the loser's bracket to the Crown Coliseum in Fayetteville to battle it out for a shot.

I haven't bothered going to an ACCT since the last expansion. Used to be you'd just skip the Les Robinson Invitational Thu nite and just go Fri-Sun. Or sell your ticket to the final on Saturday if the final consisted of some version of Duke/UNC/State. Too expensive and too much time away from work now. So while it sucks not including every team, it's smart to keep it as is. You also figure those last 3 teams wouldn't have many fans in attendance anyway.

You said you wanted it to be a 4-day event. If you play 1st round games at home arenas, then move to a neutral site for the rest of the tournament, that makes it a minimum 6-day event adding travel days, plus it screws with the final weekend of your regular season schedule.
Then play 8 games at the home of the top 8 teams on Tuesday or Wednesday, travel, play Fri-Sun. Or something like that. It can be worked out pretty easily. I just hate the byes. I really don’t understand any approach to add an extra bye as was suggested. I don’t see why the strongest four teams need a bye. If they lose, they lose.

Then play 8 games at the home of the top 8 teams on Tuesday or Wednesday, travel, play Fri-Sun. Or something like that. It can be worked out pretty easily. I just hate the byes. I really don’t understand any approach to add an extra bye as was suggested. I don’t see why the strongest four teams need a bye. If they lose, they lose.
The strongest 4 teams “earn” their bye into the next round by playing the best in the regular season. Thus an extra day’s rest.
Byes have to be used to even out brackets when there are not the perfect number of teams—2-4-8-16-32-64-128.

Even if they expand again up to 96 teams, the top 32 have to get a bye to the 2nd round of NCAA for instance.

The strongest 4 teams “earn” their bye into the next round by playing the best in the regular season. Thus an extra day’s rest.
Byes have to be used to even out brackets when there are not the perfect number of teams—2-4-8-16-32-64-128.

Even if they expand again up to 96 teams, the top 32 have to get a bye to the 2nd round of NCAA for instance.
Right, so with 16 teams you don’t need byes. That’s what I said. Bottom two teams don’t make the ACC tournament, 16 teams do, no byes. That’s what I’d like to see. I don’t like the strongest four “earning” the bye.

we should just let owgs sit in a conference room & figure this math out for us.

WELLMAN ISNT REALLY RETIRED AND THEREFF HAS DONE HIS HOMEWORK.

Tread lightly.

Right, so with 16 teams you don’t need byes. That’s what I said. Bottom two teams don’t make the ACC tournament, 16 teams do, no byes. That’s what I’d like to see. I don’t like the strongest four “earning” the bye.
They could actually do something like that in baseball since we have only 16 teams that play the sport in 2025. 4 days, single elimination and no pods.

Back