• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for soccer noobs

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
After the WC is over, what's the best way to jump into the world of soccer?

you interested in following club soccer? it's pretty easy to follow the EPL here in the US now (doesn't really require a special TV package or anything). it's a bit more difficult to follow other leagues like Spain's La Liga or Italy's Serie A, but can be done.

How do you even know what league to jump into? Seems like there are so many with elite talent in each.

English premier league is a good start....but, if you know anyone involved in elite youth level soccer in your area, go watch some games. U-16-U18 would be best. You will be amazed at the athleticism and speed of the game played by that age kids at the elite level. Frankly, for me there's no comparison between that and any other youth sport except maybe elite basketball. But football, not even close. The reason is that these elite teams are the creme de la creme of the youth soccer player pool, and generally there are only a few teams like that in a regional area. I've been involved with the game at that level for over 25 years and the progress in the USA is remarkable. Obviously, you need to transition from the american point of view that scoring is the only exciting part of sports, but once you begin to understand the non-scoring aspects of soccer at the elite level you'll appreciate the game.

I watch occasional EPL games and root against ManU and Liverpool (don't like Suarez and Gerrard). My cable package doesn't include La Liga or Serie A. And will occasionally see the odd champions league match, though again, most of that isn't on my package. Don't watch MLS.

I'm guessing cable companies realize serious soccer fans will pay for premium channels, whereas most of us casual fans won't. But it would really help us casual fans to get non-EPL Euro games, and that way we'd be more familiar with the players in those other leagues.

yes, and definitely watch the Champions League for the best clubs in Europe (aka the world) duking it out.

NBC Sports has the EPL now and should make it very easy to watch. Pick a team not in Manchester to root for, unless you are a Yankees/Heat fan. If you still have and wear a Members Only jacket, Liverpool is your team.

Yes. Cheering for Arsenal wouldn't be bandwagon at all.

Make coffee and NBC Sports your weekend morning routine. You'll pick a team eventually.

I know after criticizing our lack of hardware for the last decade you aren't going this route.

Arsenal still have an amazing history filled with successes. It is the same reason that people say that Cowboy fans are "bandwagoners" when Dallas hasn't won shit since 1996.

If you saw a dead body, would your first inclination be to piss on it and go through the pockets looking for spare change? If the answer is yes, then your team is Liverpool.

The BPL hands down. It's a great start to Saturday morning/afternoon! Give it some time to sort who you like club/style/player wise then pay attention to that club for a season. My f'ing roommate at Wake got me to become a Mets fan by this method so take it with a grain of salt.

Arsenal still have an amazing history filled with successes. It is the same reason that people say that Cowboy fans are "bandwagoners" when Dallas hasn't won shit since 1996.

I have a new sig line. sorry palmab

I like how moonz asks how to get into the world of soccer, most people point out following some international league with the highest level of play on par with the world cup. Fusion wants him to pedophile it up watching regional U16 games with extremely low level of play compared to the world cup and well is just creepy if you don't have a kid yourself involved. Fusion :: Soccer as Mebane :: Football

Back