• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

After 3 losing seasons, Wake’s [Redacted] thinks Deacs on rise

RacerDeac

#iwasright #rjlies
Reaction score
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...ng-seasons-wakes-[Redacted].html#.UnzoP5yabph
After 3 losing seasons, Wake’s [Redacted] thinks Deacs on rise

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...es-[Redacted].html#.UnzcX5GSZQM#storylink=cpy

If Jeff [Redacted] is feeling any pressure heading into the 2013-2014 college basketball season, he certainly isn’t showing it.

However, [Redacted] is the first to admit that this season will be vital not just for the Deacons’ players but also for his future as the team’s head coach.

“It’s a results-driven business,” said [Redacted], who is 34-60 after three seasons. “We need to win – we need to win. That’s what I get paid to do, and that’s what we’ve got to do.”

LOL. "First to admit?" Besides, didn't he essentially say the SAME thing before last season? Does anyone have that quote?

I hate lazy journalism. I get that this second rate's job was just to provide a few fluff quotes and a season preview to satisfy their quota for Wake coverage, but when is anyone in the local media actually going to question the absurdity of what is going on? If it hasn't happened by now, I assume never.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...es-[Redacted].html#.UnzcX5GSZQM#storylink=cpy[/

“If we had gotten four more possessions in our favor in four of those seven losses, we’d have 17 wins and probably would have been in the NIT with a very young team. They now understand that.”

Bullshit. FSU barely got in with 18 wins and their quality wins still would have been higher than ours because they peaked during the conference schedule.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...es-[Redacted].html#.UnzcX5GSZQM#storylink=cpy[

If [Redacted] wasn't the coach, they might have had 20 wins. I think almost everybody understands that now.

“It’s a results-driven business,” said [Redacted], who is 34-60 after three seasons.

This is just funny. It's like The Onion has a sports page.

“If we had gotten four more possessions in our favor in four of those seven losses, we’d have 17 wins and probably would have been in the NIT with a very young team. They now understand that.”

I just absolutely hate quotes like this because it ignores the fact that winning close games is essentially a tossup and requires luck among other variables. This quote just assumes we still would have won all of four of our games that we won by only possession.

I just absolutely hate quotes like this because it ignores the fact that winning close games is essentially a tossup and requires luck among other variables. This quote just assumes we still would have won all of four of our games that we won by only possession.

Never mind that the ball bouncing into our hands might have changed the outcome of the game entirely. One extra loose ball in the first half coming to the Deacs may have fired up the opposing team and led to them blowing us out of the game in the 2nd half.

“The league is extremely challenging – probably the best basketball league in the history of basketball at this point and time,” [Redacted] said. “But we’re still in the league, and we still have to find a way to keep climbing.”

i get what he is saying in the first half... but wordsmith he is not. the second part is like a subconscious cry to join the socon.

That is what losers say. Bz has proven himself the loser of all losers throughout his career. So glad he gets to prove it to us too.

Okay, so if [Redacted] is being paid to win, then does that mean Dino was being paid to instill culture?

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/14/can-[Redacted]-get-wakes-buzz-back/
Can [Redacted] get Wake’s buzz back?

Eric Angevine
Jul 14, 2012, 5:40 PM EST

[Redacted] may be a good coach, but his record is pretty nondescript. His overall record stands at 142-137, and his highest point was a hotly-debated at large tournament bid in ’06 that didn’t sit well with other bubble teams. [Redacted] knows his leash in Winston-Salem is short, so he’s getting out ahead of the torch and pitchfork crowd this summer, declaring this to be his make-or-break season.

“I feel great,” he told the Winston-Salem Journal. “I do. I really, truly do. We’ve created the type of culture that we want without compromising our values. We now have talent and depth and, to be quite frank, it’s now time to win. It is. I’ve always felt the urgency. Let’s be honest. This is a results-driven business in a world that wants everything now. I understand that. It’s now time to head north.”

I am glad he thinks these fine young men will improve their minds, which are inside their heads and above their necks.

it looks like wellman may be changing his tactic. he reaches out to a "journalist" and says

ron - "look we want you to write a story where we acknowledge... sort of... the pain everyone is feeling and bzz says again it's a results driven business. then you show how objective you are by talking about the record the last three years and how it's been poor. then you bring it home talking about all the success bzz had as an ASSISTANT in the nba and at AFA (don't mention they were another coaches players). that will show anyone that is not paying attention that it really was a no brainer when i hired bzz. he has a ton of success in his career."

journalist - "mr wellman what about his nba head coach record and his stop at colorado prior to being hired at wake?"

ron - "just stick to my talking points and we'll be good. hand in... revise history on three... 1..."

I was about to say the exact same thing after reading the article. Really good teams aren't really good because they win all the toss up games, they're really good because they turn games which could be toss ups into definitive victories. If any team won 80% of the toss up games then they would be better than normal since the rate would be expected to be around 50/50.

Thanks PH!

Before the 2012 season:
We now have talent and depth and, to be quite frank, it’s now time to win. It is. I’ve always felt the urgency. Let’s be honest. This is a results-driven business in a world that wants everything now. I understand that. It’s now time to head north.”

And now before the 2013 season:
“It’s a results-driven business,” said [Redacted], who is 34-60 after three seasons. “We need to win – we need to win.That’s what I get paid to do, and that’s what we’ve got to do.”

I was about to say the exact same thing after reading the article. Really good teams aren't really good because they win all the toss up games, they're really good because they turn games which could be toss ups into definitive victories. If any team won 80% of the toss up games then they would be better than normal since the rate would be expected to be around 50/50.

Good teams don't win close games, they avoid them.

How many games did we win by a narrow margin last year?

Edit: I looked.

Mercer by 3
UVA by 3
BC by 3
State by 2

Last edited:
Back