• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aiken, SC

DeacsPop

Resident Old Man
Reaction score
The Mrs. would like me to seriously consider Aiken (maybe Cedar Creek) as a place to retire to. Have to do a few exploratory trips down to get the feel for the area but have heard only good things. Good golf/weather; reasonable cost of living and nice folks of course most important. Any tips prior to my trip down would be appreciated. Thanks.

Isn't that where the famed Waffle House is?

It depends on where you're moving from. I do a good bit of business down there and travel down about twice a month. It's ok, but a little small to me. The downtown is ok, but again kind of small. If you like golf & horses, there is plenty of that. Augusta & the Masters is only 20 minutes away. Its not like I am from a big town (Spartanburg), but it feels like there is more to do here than there.

Have you thought about the Greenville-Spartanburg area? You'd be closer to the mountains and about the same distance to the coast with plenty to do in this area.

Traveled the area for over 25 years. Advantage is it is close to Augusta, good medical facilities and teaching hospital. If horses are your thing, you may like. Extremely warm July & August. Agree with earlier post Greenville area may be a better choice, or the coastal lowcountry near Charleston.

Stayed there one year when I went to the Masters
Found it kind of charming (although maybe it was done up and was bustling because it was getting a lot of Augusta overflow) for a small town, but it was small and I'm sure there are less desirable parts.

Would also say that if I was to retire in South Carolina it would be a coastal area. There are still many affordable places on water in Southern SC

Not a single person under age 50 in Aiken, so as a retired couple you should fit in fine.

It sucks though...

My folks retired to the Greenville area (actually between Greenville and Asheville, but still in SC, barely. It's pretty nice out there. Not really far from a lot of stuff.

My wife is from Aiken and the in-laws still live there. We visit at least once a month. Message me if you want some more insightful information on the area.

That's the one negative. You should have said it just down the road apiece from Spartanburg.

Eh, as long as DeacsPop doesn't have a burning hatred for Clemson, it would be cool to drop on down for an interesting guest speaker, or to catch a hoops or baseball game. I'd love to live near a large university.

Best part about Greenville used to be "Fall for Greenville." Haven't been in forever, but that little shitkicker was awesome.

My mom "retired" there about 5 years ago. We've been visiting Aiken since 1990 and I lived there for a while after college (and summers during law school). My mom and most of her friends are "horse people," but she also has a good number of friends that like to golf or just socialize. It's a pretty good central location for travel (2 hours to Charleston or Savannah, 3 hours to Atlanta or Charlotte). Feel free to PM if you want any details or suggestions.

Eh, as long as DeacsPop doesn't have a burning hatred for Clemson, it would be cool to drop on down for an interesting guest speaker, or to catch a hoops or baseball game. I'd love to live near a large university.

Best part about Greenville used to be "Fall for Greenville." Haven't been in forever, but that little shitkicker was awesome.

there is now a sweet minor league baseball team in downtown Greenville. Folks from Clemson come to Greenville, not the other way around.

One additional caveat is Aiken is not far from Salley, SC where every Jan or Feb they have the Chitterling (chitlin) Strut!

I've been to Augusta a few times and was really disappointed with what the city had to offer other than golf.

For those who mentioned Greenville, the few times I visited Greenville were very pleasant experiences. It seems to have more restaurants per capita than any other place in the world, and people there are nearly as friendly as Atlanta but without the crazy traffic.

Also, Greenville has the Fox Carolina news station, which is better than any other local news channel because they're dedicated to hotness. Everybody on that station is hot. I know that some womens' rights organizations demand that every news channel have at least 1 old lady news anchor, so Fox Carolina hired Diana Watson whos the hottest old lady news anchor ever. And every station needs a black news anchor, so Fox Carolina hired Lauren Elise whos totally smoking hot. They'll be talking about all this depressing news with the bad economy and murders and robberies and stuff, and nobody gets depressed because the news anchors reporting it are just pure hotness.

Back