• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

All-ACC Teams: Devin Thomas Makes All-Freshman; CJ Snubbed

CJ made 3rd team last year. His stats are arguably a small step down from last year, but not enough to knock him off 3rd team.

Akil Mitchell?????? Seriously?????

Yes. He really improved in all facets of the game and is 1 of the strongest frontcourt guys in the conference. And he should have made all-defense over his teammate Evans. UVA was pretty much a 2 man team with Harris and Mitchell with occasional contributions from others.

Howell first team was pretty obvious IMO.

Also in an impressive feat, CJ shot the exact same effective field goal percentage and true shooting as last year:

2012: 55.3 (eFG%), 62.1 (true shooting %) - 241st in country, 76th in country
2013: 55.3, 62.1 - 203rd in country, 60th in country

So he did the exact same and improved by a few individuals overall from last year. Solid.

I don't have much of a problem with Mitchell. I think the Quinn Cook selection is nuts though. I'm pretty sure I cold get 5 assists a game passing to Curry, Kelly, and Plumlee and maintain a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio.

You can clearly make a case for CJ or someone else over Quinn Cook, but I don't think his selection is nuts. In conference games, he was 15th in the league in scoring, 2nd is assists, T5th in steals, 2nd in A/TO, and 5th in minutes. Considering he is on the #2 team in the country, it's not crazy he made 3rd team.

Also willing to bet the majority of voters used this release when looking at stats (doesn't include yesterday, which hurts CJ greatly).

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/release/release.pdf

Howell first team was pretty obvious IMO.

Also in an impressive feat, CJ shot the exact same effective field goal percentage and true shooting as last year:

2012: 55.3 (eFG%), 62.1 (true shooting %) - 241st in country, 76th in country
2013: 55.3, 62.1 - 203rd in country, 60th in country

So he did the exact same and improved by a few individuals overall from last year. Solid.

Yeah, CJ is really impressive from an efficiency standpoint. That's why his passivity, at times, confuses me so much. The guy is a lights-out scorer, in general, from almost every spot on the floor!

Doesn't matter. He wasn't any good. Georges-Hunt was significantly better. Carter had a much better year than Paige.

You could argue that those guys both deserved it more than Devin Thomas too. The whole class is weak. No freshman is one and done. If any of these guys is gone after next year, I'll be surprised.

And Paige was third in the ACC in assists and only scored two points fewer per game than Thomas.

CJ made 3rd team last year. His stats are arguably a small step down from last year, but not enough to knock him off 3rd team.

So your argument is CJ only got marginally worse in his Sr. year, so he should stay on 3rd team? I hope you are not Ron Wellman, or you are probably in the midst of finalizing Bz's extension right now.

If CJ should be on the 3rd team, I think he should have Booker's spot.

So your argument is CJ only got marginally worse in his Sr. year, so he should stay on 3rd team? I hope you are not Ron Wellman, or you are probably in the midst of finalizing Bz's extension right now.

At the end of the day, we're talking about a 15 ppg scorer who doesn't rebound or have gaudy assist numbers on a 13-17 team. Erick Greene is the nation's top scorer and Devin Booker was one of the better bigs around at that point in the voting (each team needs, at least, a center). Is it really that much of an insult? I'm just happy that Travis didn't get a nod over CJ. I'm actually fine with both of them being All-ACC HM on this list.

We're die-hard Wake fans. Most Wake fans, let alone All-ACC voters, are not.

But really, WGAF. I'm not going to continue to argue about who should be declared the 5th or 6th best freshman in a weak freshman class, or who should be declared the 15th - 17th best players in a weak ACC.

Nope, that's not my argument. Also I'm not Ron Wellman.

At the end of the day, we're talking about a 15 ppg scorer who doesn't rebound or have gaudy assist numbers on a 13-17 team. Erick Greene is the nation's top scorer and Devin Booker was one of the better bigs around at that point in the voting (each team needs, at least, a center). Is it really that much of an insult? I'm just happy that Travis didn't get a nod over CJ. I'm actually fine with both of them being All-ACC HM on this list.

We're die-hard Wake fans. Most Wake fans, let alone All-ACC voters, are not.

Didn't think they voted by position. If they do, Booker makes sense.

Agree with you and Petter that it doesn't matter who is #15 or #16. Seems the voters did a pretty good job this year.

Looking ahead for a minute, of the 16 All-ACC players (3rd team had a tie for 5th), 11 will either graduate or are likely to leave early.

Returning All-ACC Players:
Shane Larkin
Joe Harris
Ryan Anderson
Quinn Cook
Akil Mitchell

2 from UVA, 1 Duke, 1 BC, and 1 Miami. Interesting list.

Devin Thomas has really improved as the year has progressed. His free throw shooting has gotten better, also his play yesterday where he led a fast break and made a pass for a layup was pretty darn good. Also, his defense is strong. Clearly has the potential to be one of the better players that Wake has ever had. if he can play his true position of power forward, learn to use his right hand, and develop a 15 foot jumpshot, watch out.

shane larkin is another feather in bzz's cap. thanks for backing off bzz.

Last edited:
Back