• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

All-ACC

Jimmy can knock home meaningless 35 yarders with the best of em. It's the important kicks that he chokes on.

This. He also chokes on short kicks in crunch time. He is a decent kicker, but no more than that. Hopefully, he can turn it around next year. He had a bad year.

Meaningless stat that doesn't factor in distance. Who cares how accurate a kicker is if his range effective ends at 35 yards?

If a guy can kick it 70 yards ever field goal but can only make 25% of all kicks how is he better than a guy that can make basically everything under 40 yards? The answer is he's not. Jimmy is a really good college kicker.

Was Sammy Watkins really worth 17 more votes for WR than Givens?

Givens had 200 more yards and 1 less TD.

If a guy can kick it 70 yards ever field goal but can only make 25% of all kicks how is he better than a guy that can make basically everything under 40 yards? The answer is he's not. Jimmy is a really good college kicker.

He's not, but a kicker that isn't reliable outside of 35 yards or so isn't a really good college kicker either. Jimmy isn't a bad kicker, but if he's going to be considered "really good" he's got to make such clutch kicks and become reliable from 40 to 50 yards.

Publicity. Watkins got shoved down everybody's throats by the media, but most of it was deserved at least until the last quarter of the season.

Honestly I think Watkins was more impressive, but only because Boyd isn't as good as Price. If you're going to put Watkins above Givens then I don't know how you can put Boyd on first team. Watkins was good because he could catch balls that he had no business catching. Givens was better after the catch. That's my two cents.

If the coach trusted Newman to kick past the 25, Newman would kick more, miss a lot more, and his reliability stat would go back to normal, proving how mediocre he has been.

On what planet is Jimmy Newman a good kicker? Didn't he cost us two games this year?

On what planet is Jimmy Newman a good kicker? Didn't he cost us two games this year?

Kickers fairly frequently lose games.

He isn't good, but he is average.

Kickers fairly frequently lose games.

He isn't good, but he is average.[/QUOTE]

I think that's pretty much it, he's average to this point. In fact I think he was better last year, than this year. He's better than a lot of college kickers, I was watching Miami-OH last week and they had only attempted 5 FG's all year because their kickers were so bad. Newman's okay, but he can be a lot better and he'd probably for the first guy to tell you that.

We're spoiled by Swank. College kickers are turrible. Newman is solid.

He shat the bed against Syracuse, but he still made kicks of 37, 38 and 40 in the game.

Last edited:
You guys are crazy. The facts don't back you up at all. In the past two seasons he's 28/33 on FG's, 12/14 from 30-39 yards, and 5/8 from over 40 with season longs of 48 and 46. The guy doesn't have a cannon for a leg like Swank but he's a lot better than an average college kicker. He missed an untimely kick this season and you guys are letting it cloud your judgement on him.

He shat the bed against Syracuse, but he still made kicks of 37, 38 and 40 in the game.

If we were upset that Newman isn't capable of making 3 50+ yard FG's in a game than I would say that's an unfair comparasion to Swank. Newman is okay, but I'd have a hard time saying he's "solid" when he missed a chippy against Clemson that would've probably won the game and he missed a chippy and an extra point against Cuse that probably would've won the game. Not to mention the miss against Notre Dame.

I'd have to look it up but I'm pretty sure that my HS had kickers with better range than that.

Newman is an average college kicker, that is all. Regardless he's a senior next year, so it can't hurt to give Hedland some long distance FGs attempts if he has the range. We know Jimmy can't make them.

Last edited:
You guys are crazy. The facts don't back you up at all. In the past two seasons he's 28/33 on FG's, 12/14 from 30-39 yards, and 5/8 from over 40 with season longs of 48 and 46. The guy doesn't have a cannon for a leg like Swank but he's a lot better than an average college kicker. He missed an untimely kick this season and you guys are letting it cloud your judgement on him.

It wasn't "an untimely kick" it was "untimely kicks." I give you his percentage is very good and there's a lot of bad kickers out there, but I think to be considered a "really good" kicker for us he's got to make some big kicks. Maybe he does that next season. Newman's a good egg, we still love him.

I'd have to look it up but I'm pretty sure that my HS had kicker's with better range than that.

Newman is an average college kicker, that is all. Regardless he's a senior next year, so it can't hurt to give Hedland some long distance FGs attempts if he has the range. We know Jimmy can't make them.

From what I've seen in warm-ups, Hedland's leg isn't as strong as Newman's at this point.

Back