• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

All-ACC

If we were upset that Newman isn't capable of making 3 50+ yard FG's in a game than I would say that's an unfair comparasion to Swank. Newman is okay, but I'd have a hard time saying he's "solid" when he missed a chippy against Clemson that would've probably won the game and he missed a chippy and an extra point against Cuse that probably would've won the game. Not to mention the miss against Notre Dame.

Pretty sure the EP he missed against Cuse was a bad snap but that game was totally on Grobe and the defense. He had an awful day against Clemson and i'll give you that one but his kick against ND was pretty long IIRC and into the wind. Not an easy kick by any stretch. Still didn't do anything to lose the game as WF would have had to score a TD either way had they gotten the ball back. So he's lost one game in the Clemson game. I stand by that he is a good college kicker. We can agree to disagree.

Don't know how this thread got totally off-course with the Newman discussion, but I'm totally impressed that Josh Bush made this much of an impression on the voters to end up 1st team. That is quite an accomplishment.

Givens is no surprise to be first team considering the year that he had.

It is also pretty cool that Whitlock made second team.

Pretty sure the EP he missed against Cuse was a bad snap but that game was totally on Grobe and the defense. He had an awful day against Clemson and i'll give you that one but his kick against ND was pretty long IIRC and into the wind. Not an easy kick by any stretch. Still didn't do anything to lose the game as WF would have had to score a TD either way had they gotten the ball back. So he's lost one game in the Clemson game. I stand by that he is a good college kicker. We can agree to disagree.

I could go as far as to say good, but closer to decent. Would you agree he needs to make a big kick or two to be considered a "really good" kicker? I think the thing that bothers me a little bit is that his misses can be really bad, that inconsistency scares me a little bit. Some kickers, even their misses seem to be hit well and either don't hook or hook too much, etc., but Jimmy's misses aren't even close most of the time.

I could go as far as to say good, but closer to decent. Would you agree he needs to make a big kick or two to be considered a "really good" kicker? I think the thing that bothers me a little bit is that his misses can be really bad, that inconsistency scares me a little bit. Some kickers, even their misses seem to be hit well and either don't hook or hook too much, etc., but Jimmy's misses aren't even close most of the time.

Yea I guess that "really good college kicker" was to strong a wording but he is still a good college kicker. And yes he does need to make a big kick or two but the problem with that is the offense really hasn't given him many/any positions to make a big kick in the past two seasons. He doesn't kick it as far as a lot of guys but there are teams that would KILL for a guy that makes 80% of his kicks from ~43 yards and in.

And sorry to derail this from the guys that DID make the All-ACC team. Nikita, Chris, Josh, and Joe all had really great seasons and i'm glad to see them get the recognition they deserve. As others have said the strides Josh made this past offseason in his move to Safety have been fantastic, he really shored up the defense in the back this season.

As the one who derailed it, I apologize for taking away from the accomplishments of those who did make it.

Yeah, and the one he missed (twice) against Cuse was in the first quarter. Wasn't particularly crucial at the time. When compared to his peers, Newman stacks up fairly well. He wasn't a Lou Groza semifinalist for nothing, even if he didn't quite deserve it.

We're spoiled by Swank. College kickers are turrible. Newman is solid.

He shat the bed against Syracuse, but he still made kicks of 37, 38 and 40 in the game.

This. I'm in awe of how good some NFL kickers are. Rackers, Sea Bass, et al seem to make 55+ yards with relative ease. Just ridiculous.

No Kyle Wilbur, He dominated Fla St.

I think that was the last game where he was primarily lined up at DE. He's been standing up ever since. He wasn't nearly as effective at OLB.

As the one who derailed it, I apologize for taking away from the accomplishments of those who did make it.

As the #2 contributor to the derailment, I agree. Impressive accomplishments. Amazing how far Josh Bush came so quickly, and obviously looking forward to what Givens, Noel, and Whitlock can do next year.

College kicking drives me crazy. Special teams in general for that matter. I'm never at ease with how it's going to go, no matter what game I'm watching. Often it's a crapshoot.

Well done, All-ACC'ers. Way to represent.

Great stats from our team BP almost snuck in 1000yds despite being behind Harris for half the season.

Brandon Pendergrass-WF SR 12 164 750 4.6 8 38 62.5

Tanner stats as good as any in the ACC.

Tanner Price-WF SO 12 229 - 376 - 6 60.9 2803 20 79 137.9

Givens is awesome should have been ACC top voted wr as he outperform SW

Chris Givens-WF JR 12 74 1276 9 79 17.2 106.3 6.2

Jimmy 4th in the conference

4. Jimmy Newman-WF JR 12 37-39 16-20 85 7.1

96 tackles for quarles and pretty good year from Justin Jackson

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2011-2012/confldrs.html

So you don't think that extra year was essential in making Josh Bush the 1st team ACC player he is today?

I don't think the extra year made nearly as much of a difference as the position change.

Back