• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

I've been critical of Currie up to this point, but I have to think the administration has higher priorities this week with the cancellation of spring sports, the migration to a virtual learning environment, and other campus lockdown protocols.

Hopefully Currie is doing what he needs to do behind the scenes to relieve Manning of his duties and bring in an appropriate replacement. They may simply be waiting for the current priorities to be alleviated before officially proceeding.

Or they could all be incompetent boobs who have already told Manning he's coming back for another year. Who the hell knows.

I know many of you don't want to think about this but here goes. Firing Danny just after the NCAAT and other major events have been canceled could make us look bad. Danny isn't just a coach. He's a legend of the NCAAT. In fact, he's probably on the Mt. Rushmore of NCAAT players.

ESPN, Fox Sports and thousands of other outlets have no programming but have to fill hours and content on websites. Firing Danny now could turn him into a sympathetic figure. It will be an easy and oft repeated story. How could they fire Danny Manning at this time? Doesn't this guy deserve another chance? Didn't he do a miracle before?

If Danny was just another coach without all his history, it still wouldn't be a great idea. But he isn't just another coach. He has a story. This is a time where news and sports outlets are desperately looking for stories.

I know many of you don't want to think about this but here goes. Firing Danny just after the NCAAT and other major events have been canceled could make us look bad. Danny isn't just a coach. He's a legend of the NCAAT. In fact, he's probably on the Mt. Rushmore of NCAAT players.

ESPN, Fox Sports and thousands of other outlets have no programming but have to fill hours and content on websites. Firing Danny now could turn him into a sympathetic figure. It will be an easy and oft repeated story. How could they fire Danny Manning at this time? Doesn't this guy deserve another chance? Didn't he do a miracle before?

If Danny was just another coach without all his history, it still wouldn't be a great idea. But he isn't just another coach. He has a story. This is a time where news and sports outlets are desperately looking for stories.

Who fucking cares? He's a shitty coach that deserves to be fired. His coaching record proves it. If anyone says Wake should have kept him because he an NCAAT legend then fuck them too!

Do you want to get the best coach we can?

Do you want millions of people to get negative stories about Wake?

Nice knee jerk, inane response.

RJ is just floating reasons to explain away why his bold prediction from his Tier 1 Skype Chat may not come true.

Do you want to get the best coach we can?

Do you want millions of people to get negative stories about Wake?

Nice knee jerk, inane response.

What could be more negative than our performance for the last 10 years? Pretty sure that whatever coach takes the job knows what he is walking into. Fuck Manning, fuck Currie, fire them both.

Agree— most casual fans have no idea how bad Danny has been at Wake, and it will not play well. I am sure the decision has already been made, and may be hard to keep under wraps - wouldn’t be surprised if there is a legitimate leak in the next week or two, one way or another.

What could be more negative is to not optimize our choices, because yahoos are acting like two years having a temper tantrum.

What's going to be your response if we end up with an A level coach?

Have to agree. Court of public opinion can be swift and devastating.

Also remember that Currie, rightly or wrongly, has a bad reputation with coaching hires/fires/searches. At least in some loud, noisy corners, that is.

Also remember that Currie, rightly or wrongly, has a bad reputation with coaching hires/fires/searches. At least in some loud, noisy corners, that is.

Along this line, given the delay due to the virus, I wouldn't be shocked if Currie fires Danny and within twenty-four hours names the new coach.

Do you want to get the best coach we can? Yes. That's why Wake should fire Danny this year.

Do you want millions of people to get negative stories about Wake? "All publicity is good publicity..."

Nice knee jerk, inane response. Go fuck yourself.

Not firing him within a few hours or days of his claim to fame being canceled in no way means not firing him.

All publicity is not good publicity. This is especially true when you are dealing from a position that's less than ideal.

Anybody with any knowledge of current basketball would agree we’ve already kept DM 2 or 3 years too long.

Not firing him within a few hours or days of his claim to fame being canceled in no way means not firing him.

All publicity is not good publicity. This is especially true when you are dealing from a position that's less than ideal.

I'm fine with Currie waiting until sometime next week. I expected as much anyway because of the ACC Tournament.

Agree to disagree about the publicity. Manning's coaching record speaks for itself and his firing is warranted. If the media spins it, they were going to spin it anyway, Corona virus be damned.

Would you guys consider this trolling?

The comments are perfect.

Focus on the task at hand

Back in the days when we had a real coach and basketball program.

There is only one way we’ll see days like that again!

Not the tweet we're looking for from you, John. But, Go Deacs!

Find a good coach

Let’s get back to that point John! Make the hire of the future

FUCK YOU, JOHN CURRIE

People wouldn’t sympathize for Manning unless it comes out that he or someone in his family tested for coronavirus. People would look at his record and realize how bad he is.

How has sports media treated Dan Majerle’s firing?

Last edited:

Good point..

Back