• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

Rare but not unheard of. And certainly called for in this case. Wellman was forced out because of the DM debacle and a new AD was brought in to fix the situation. Wellman did everything he could to sabotage our MBB program on his way out the door. This was certainly a time to do the rare thing. There were no real reasons not to fire Manning at any point in the last ten months and assign an interim. Our play this season, recruiting, nothing would have been any worse. Our play might have even improved. Heck, with recruiting, it's in our best interest to take a break from it until DM is gone and open up even more spots for a real coach to fill with ACC caliber players.

Ya'll are right. Things don't happen in a vacuum. Our context is 10+ years of sucking. Drastic measures needed to be taken and were not. Now we are stuck in limbo. I know I'd feel alot better in my quarantine boredom being excited about the future with our new great coach we hired.

Really? You'd feel a lot better in your quarantine knowing that we fired and hired a new basketball coach? A basketball fucking coach?

[/B]

Really? You'd feel a lot better in your quarantine knowing that we fired and hired a new basketball coach? A basketball fucking coach?

Um, yeah? We are all sitting around here posting on a sports message board about Wake Forest basketball. So in regards to the topic we are all managing to discuss during these end times...Yes, I would feel much better.

DId you even read the article that you posted? Jesus- its happened 18 times since 2000. 18 times. 18! The last to do it was some podunk school with no bball history called UCLA. Considering that Danny Manning is in the running for the worst coach in ACC basketball history (I'll go with Bob Wade, but I digress), I certainly think that firing Danny Manning midseason would be just as warranted as any of the other EIGHTEEN other times. Good lord, the excuses some of ya'll make.

Option A: Sitting around, "working" from home, napping, day drinking, napping, trying to figure out why D(FL)M is still our coach and not caring if we even play basketball in 2020-2021.

Option B: Sitting around, "working" from home, napping, day drinking, napping, ordering season tickets for basketball looking forward to seeing a real coach in the Joel for the first time in over a decade.

Some on here will take the most recent thing to happen and ruminate over the least worst options given the current state of affairs. Right now it's the Corona. I choose to look at the last decade in it's entirety and those responsible for bringing it about and those paid to fix it. We hear about the optics of mid-season firings, how Wake would never do this or that, and on and on. Currie will be paid millions over his tenure at Wake Forest and it is his job to fix it. All of it.

And let's not act like Currie is running the Red Cross or CDC or something. I'm sure he has time in his schedule to send out a press release that DM is no longer head basketball coach. Nation-wide search to commence when the current crisis subsides.

Last edited:

Nah, Portland would have to extend Porter with a humongous buyout. Then we could be like Portland.

Rare but not unheard of. And certainly called for in this case. Wellman was forced out because of the DM debacle and a new AD was brought in to fix the situation. Wellman did everything he could to sabotage our MBB program on his way out the door. This was certainly a time to do the rare thing. There were no real reasons not to fire Manning at any point in the last ten months and assign an interim. Our play this season, recruiting, nothing would have been any worse. Our play might have even improved. Heck, with recruiting, it's in our best interest to take a break from it until DM is gone and open up even more spots for a real coach to fill with ACC caliber players.

Ya'll are right. Things don't happen in a vacuum. Our context is 10+ years of sucking. Drastic measures needed to be taken and were not. Now we are stuck in limbo. I know I'd feel alot better in my quarantine boredom being excited about the future with our new great coach we hired.

I agree with everything in your post but am now having serious doubts about the bolded statement. I also thought the same thing. Currie is here to save the day!!
I'm starting to have my doubts. I also wonder if the UT fiasco scarred him so much, he will manage out of fear rather than strength and vision. Only time will tell I guess.

DId you even read the article that you posted? Jesus- its happened 18 times since 2000. 18 times. 18! The last to do it was some podunk school with no bball history called UCLA. Considering that Danny Manning is in the running for the worst coach in ACC basketball history (I'll go with Bob Wade, but I digress), I certainly think that firing Danny Manning midseason would be just as warranted as any of the other EIGHTEEN other times. Good lord, the excuses some of ya'll make.

Yeah. That's about 1 a year. Pretty rare. Its even lower when you take out the guys that retired (Bennett, Ryan, Knight) or left due to off the court misconduct (Sampson).

That's less than ONCE a year for 300 schools.

I agree with everything in your post but am now having serious doubts about the bolded statement. I also thought the same thing. Currie is here to save the day!!
I'm starting to have my doubts. I also wonder if the UT fiasco scarred him so much, he will manage out of fear rather than strength and vision. Only time will tell I guess.

Yeah, I don't know either. I had heard from a trusted source with connections (but not a Wake donor, himself) that the big donors were upset with Wellman over the Manning thing and forced him out. But you are right, I don't know how motivated anyone really was about doing anything else about it. It's also weird that the bigs would be mad enough to force Wellman out but not care enough to pay the buyout. Who knows anymore. Was pretty skeptical of Currie from the outset, however. Apart from a couple of posters who think alot of him, I haven't seen much that is impressive or the breath of fresh air we needed.

so about 1 per year. So no one would even bat an eye if we fired a coach with an abysmal overall record who was leading us to DFL in the ACC this year. NO ONE WOULD HAVE BLAMED US. And if they did, who cares? We could have had this all taken care of weeks ago and been talking with Matta and Bielein the whole time and have a new competent coach leading us into what is certainly murky uncharted waters ahead. Instead we have Danny Fucking Manning because our AD is too chickenshit to make a move and now is going to hide behind corona virus and say, "Now is not the appropriate time to change course." It's a bullshit, loser mentality and I agree with TheAbster in wondering if he is just too damaged after the UT fiasco to ever make bold moves again.

Last edited:
No one would bat an eye at something that happens ONCE in over 300 schools. You can't be serious. That's news.

As to the UT fiasco, how many people have to tell you it was Phil Fulmer fucking him before you deal with that reality? A bunch already have.

Whether or not Phil Fulmer fucked him over, and fat phil certainly did, it doesn't change the fact that Currie was the head man in charge during a coaching search fiasco and it seems very probable that that experience has had an effect on him and the way he is handling this coaching search. Why is that so hard to understand. Jesus, I can't believe I'm getting into an internet argument with RJ, something that I told myself that only idiots do.

edit: I said "this coaching search". That obviously is wrong because Danny Manning is still our coach and there is no coaching search. My bad, I should have said coaching situation.

Last edited:
No one would bat an eye at something that happens ONCE in over 300 schools. You can't be serious. That's news.

As to the UT fiasco, how many people have to tell you it was Phil Fulmer fucking him before you deal with that reality? A bunch already have.

Not 300. No one would be shocked/question firing Manning at an hour of any day. And it would be the first news WFBB made in a long time.

Whether or not Phil Fulmer fucked him over, and fat phil certainly did, it doesn't change the fact that Currie was the head man in charge during a coaching search fiasco and it seems very probable that that experience has had an effect on him and the way he is handling this coaching search. Why is that so hard to understand. Jesus, I can't believe I'm getting into an internet argument with RJ, something that I told myself that only idiots do.

The only idiot here is you about this.

If a legend, who wants to take the AD job, is calling Mike Leach and others to sabotage any hire, the coach listens.

You are being totally irrational.

Not 300. No one would be shocked/question firing Manning at an hour of any day. And it would be the first news WFBB made in a long time.

"There are 347 Division I college basketball teams."

I never said anything about shocked or question. What I said was is it's something that is extremely rare. There are tons of schools that start off shitty after having bad years before and there is still less than one these firings per 347 schools.

"There are 347 Division I college basketball teams."

I never said anything about shocked or question. What I said was is it's something that is extremely rare. There are tons of schools that start off shitty after having bad years before and there is still less than one these firings per 347 schools.

I was responding to the "No one would bat an eye" part. Also, from the article

Alford’s firing marks the 18th midseason coaching change since the 2000 season in the ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC, which have finished as the top six conferences in the country in some order in each of the last five seasons, according to kenpom.com.

That's still less than one per season. I want Danny gone as much as you do, but that doesn't mean we have be to crazy.

Back