• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

It’s pretty clear, based on your posts over the last few weeks, that you have made up your mind and nothing short of firing Manning and making a homerun hire is acceptable. But you are totally unable to accept that the world has changed in a very short period of time and nobody has any real clue about when normal turns. In your mind Currie is guilty until proven innocent and you’ve been hammering that theme repeatedly. You’re a fucking front runner who claims you’ll support him only if he delivers what you want.

You’re in a horse race with 2&2 for the most out of touch with reality poster on this board.

Is firing Manning and wanting a homerun hire an out of touch with reality position? Damn. Excuse the shit out of me then. I want WFU to have a good basketball team again and I wish we had people who could make that happen. And I had to laugh when you called me a fucking front runner because I'm a Wake Forest Fan- I'm the farthest thing from a front runner that you could be.

Now we’re out of touch because we want Currie to do his job, the LOWF loser mentality is alive and well.

Is firing Manning and wanting a homerun hire an out of touch with reality position? Damn. Excuse the shit out of me then. I want WFU to have a good basketball team again and I wish we had people who could make that happen. And I had to laugh when you called me a fucking front runner because I'm a Wake Forest Fan- I'm the farthest thing from a front runner that you could be.

Well said!

Amen...we're basically an intramural program.

Everybody wants Manning gone. Everybody. Nobody is disputing that position.

What I can’t understand is how people are calling Currie a failure for not yet firing him while we’re in the midst of something totally unprecedented. And don’t tell me he should have fired him last May - finding someone that late in the game or hiring an interim were worse alternatives (and I don’t say that lightly given how bad we were last year).

Listen, were all on the same team here looking for the same outcome. Shitting on our AD because of something that’s likely outside his control is ridiculous.

FUCK YOU, JOHN CURRIE

This is why he should’ve been fired mid season. If you know you want to fire him, don’t wait and pull the trigger

Currie so far is a failure as an AD. If he successfully navigated this catastrophe and hires a good coach, he will not be a failure. I don’t think we are obligated to stick with him through thick and thin no matter what. We can be critical of the job he’s done so far.

This is why he should’ve been fired mid season. If you know you want to fire him, don’t wait and pull the trigger

Currie so far is a failure as an AD. If he successfully navigated this catastrophe and hires a good coach, he will not be a failure. I don’t think we are obligated to stick with him through thick and thin no matter what. We can be critical of the job he’s done so far.

Yep, if Currie is going to have Wake play with the big boys of the ACC, then he needs to put on his big boy pants and accept criticism.

if Currie is indeed hamstrung with an impossible contract and simply can't get out from under it, he needs to go ahead and throw Wellman under the bus publicly and buy some goodwill

Yep, if Currie is going to have Wake play with the big boys of the ACC, then he needs to put on his big boy pants and accept criticism.

I haven't seen Currie strike back on anything. Can you show where he did?

Yeah. That's about 1 a year. Pretty rare. Its even lower when you take out the guys that retired (Bennett, Ryan, Knight) or left due to off the court misconduct (Sampson).

Over a year ago I looked for P6 coaches as bad as Manning who were brought back for another season. Wainwright and John Jay were about as close as I could find and it was interesting they were two of the few to be axed in the middle of a season.

Leitao now also qualifies as being as bad as Manning and getting another year.

Based on the terms of the contract it sounds like Currie would have had to have had all the buyout money lined up midseason if he wanted to fire him. Would the people who are putting up that money accept that without trying to negotiate with Manning's agent?

Is Currie's responsibility, but he was left with a giant shit sandwich by his predecessor and had to deal with a pandemic on top of that right when he was trying to negotiate out of this.

yeah, currie should have known that for the first time in modern history, we'd have a pandemic starting in march and that all of his funding for the buyout would disappear. What an IDIOT

Let's say the buyout is $8M and they have have half the money. Currie should get Hatch to let him take out a loan to cover the rest showing they will save money by taking out the loan.

One of the issues one or more of the big hitters may be having at this late date is lighting millions of dollars on fire for a contract they weren't consulted about at the same time Wellman was demanding they put up millions for new facilities.

Everybody wants Manning gone. Everybody. Nobody is disputing that position.

What I can’t understand is how people are calling Currie a failure for not yet firing him while we’re in the midst of something totally unprecedented. And don’t tell me he should have fired him last May - finding someone that late in the game or hiring an interim were worse alternatives (and I don’t say that lightly given how bad we were last year).

Listen, were all on the same team here looking for the same outcome. Shitting on our AD because of something that’s likely outside his control is ridiculous.

I can't speak for everyone but I recognize that current events may have impacted Currie's ability to fire Manning. That's IF Currie was set to fire Manning at the end of the season and had the finances lined up, etc. None of us really know if that is the case or not. Like it or not Currie took over the AD after a decade of poor planning, decision making, communication, and misleading fans. I assume he knew all that when he took over, and as the new leader of this program will rightly receive heat until he fixes it. I suspect he will still get paid his AD salary during this corona mess, so I think it's fair to hold him accountable to do the one thing he needed to do ASAP after being hired.

Yes, he inherited a crappy situation, but he knew that coming in and gets paid handsomely to do something about it.

Couldn't agree more on mid-season firing. Nestor would've been a great interim with no designs on the job.

One of the issues one or more of the big hitters may be having at this late date is lighting millions of dollars on fire for a contract they weren't consulted about at the same time Wellman was demanding they put up millions for new facilities.

The buyout amount (whatever it is) is and was a known quantity for some time now. Is it possible Currie didn't loop in the 'big hitters' on the total buyout nut until the last few weeks? Possible... but this doesn't make much sense.

With the recent events I can definitely see a scenario where some of the 'big hitters' who previously committed $$$'s to the buyout are getting cold feet, pulling $$$'s off the table, or backing out completely.

But I find it hard to believe those expected to stroke a big check were completely blindsided over the past few weeks by the buyout amount. Again - The number is what it is and what it has been for the past year and I can't envision any scenario where Wake entered into buyout negotiations without the full amount waiting in the wings. If Manning is willing to walk away for less - great. But this couldn't have been the expectation.

Yeah, I'd assume you go into negotiations with all the buyout money in your back pocket ready to go if needed. If you can get Manning to take less and spin it as a resignation great, if not, pay that fucker and announce his ass is fired as one of the shittiest coaches in history.

Maybe the Wake AD could declare bankruptcy. When you do that all contracts are void...no buyout. :)

Back