• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

All Star Game

Guess it makes sense the Braves fans are the ones complaining.

I'm a Red Sox fan. Fans don't show up to an ASG with the hopes of a team hitting 3-30 for the game.

I'm a Red Sox fan. Fans don't show up to an ASG with the hopes of a team hitting 3-30 for the game.

Still, it's traditionally a pitchers battle - good pitching beats good hitting.

Though 3-for-30 was putrid, I still enjoyed it (I'd rather watch a pitchers duel than a slugfest).

What a great moment in sports tonight at baseball's All Star game, as Mariano Rivera, consensus greatest reliever ever, pitched a three up- three down eighth inning for the winning American League. Rivera is retiring at the end of this year.
Class move by manager Jim Leyland in pitching Rivera in the eight inning. He wanted to be sure that "Mo" pitched on this night at this venue. Great tribute for him, as all players on both sides, and most of the fans, gave him a standing ovation in appreciation for his career achievements and the way he has conducted himself throughout. You can't point to many players and say that he was the best ever at his position, but Rivera is one of them.

McCarver is terrible. Where is Deion when you need him?

I don't think he's terrible. He's definitely not great, but not terrible. The guy sitting next to him is the worst in the business, any level. I CAN'T STAND BUCK.

The thing where McCarver spoke the first few lines of Enter Sandman was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on my television.

What a great moment in sports tonight at baseball's All Star game, as Mariano Rivera, consensus greatest reliever ever, pitched a three up- three down eighth inning for the winning American League. Rivera is retiring at the end of this year.
Class move by manager Jim Leyland in pitching Rivera in the eight inning. He wanted to be sure that "Mo" pitched on this night at this venue. Great tribute for him, as all players on both sides, and most of the fans, gave him a standing ovation in appreciation for his career achievements and the way he has conducted himself throughout. You can't point to many players and say that he was the best ever at his position, but Rivera is one of them.

I'd disagree. His stats are the best ever at the position. But, given the opportunity that Rivera has had in the playoffs, I think Trevor Hoffman would have been better. I'll take Hoffman.

But yes, Rivera is one of the best, and the game, and the gestures were great to see.

I'd disagree. His stats are the best ever at the position. But, given the opportunity that Rivera has had in the playoffs, I think Trevor Hoffman would have been better. I'll take Hoffman.

But yes, Rivera is one of the best, and the game, and the gestures were great to see.

lol what?

there's no objective way to argue hoffman over rivera. rivera has the edge in era, fip, ip, saves, whip, bwar, fwar, era-, and fip-. he out fwars him by nearly double (39 to 23) and out bwars him by even closer to double (55 to 28). this is all ignoring the postseason chances where mo has been amazing. that may be the most idiotic argument in the history of the boards.

He's got a Wellman gut feeling Hoffman outperforms him in the postseason with the same number of chances.

now if you want to get in to an argument about greatest rp of all time and mo, then you have to go further back when rps were used a lot more and thus helped their team a lot more. the thing there is even accounting for that mo still has a huge lead ons econd place when it comes to war accumulated as a rp. had goose gossage or rollie fingers or eck spent more time as relievers they may have accumulated more, but i doubt it.

Hoffman also had quite a few high-profile blown saves, so I wouldn't say he was any more reliable in those situations than Rivera.

from 2004:

San Diego’s Trevor Hoffman, perhaps the game’s second-best active closer (366 career saves) takes the hosannas a step further: Rivera, he says, “will go down as the best reliever in the game in history. His presence in the postseason is so strong that the other team knows that if they’re losing in the eighth inning, they are going to lose.”

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/sports/features/9375/

lol what?

there's no objective way to argue hoffman over rivera. rivera has the edge in era, fip, ip, saves, whip, bwar, fwar, era-, and fip-. he out fwars him by nearly double (39 to 23) and out bwars him by even closer to double (55 to 28). this is all ignoring the postseason chances where mo has been amazing. that may be the most idiotic argument in the history of the boards.

Ok, Billy Beane, I have no idea what half those stats are. Total amount of saves is stupid to look at, considering he was given more opportunities. Played for a better team. They have identical 89% save percentages.

Also, when i think of closers, I think of Ks, and Hoffman is 1 Kp9 higher. So identical save percentages, and Hoffman was better at striking guys out. This also includes hoffmans last year where he was 50% in save opps due to hanging on to long.

Just my opinion, through my padre fan glasses. Chill out with the "Idiotic argument in the history of the boards" I'm sure Dolphin Fans say Dan Marino is best ever. Bills fans, Jim Kelley. just an opinion.

You pay closers to save games. They have saved the same percentage of the games they were asked to save.

Back