• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alumni Engagement Survey - OPPORTUNITY TO GIVE FEEDBACK RE. [Redacted] HIRE

DeacDownUnder

Reaction score
Just received an automated E-mail from Kelly Meachum (Executive Director, Alumni Services) re. a short, eight-question survey as concerns alumni engagement. The survey also includes a section where you can add your own comments. I used that opportunity to type of few sentences about how alienated many alum feel re. the hiring (and retention) of Coach [Redacted]. This is a great opportunity to give feedback to the Alumni Office. Use it!

I'm slipping. I got that e-mail and didn't even think about it from this angle.

Great suggestion. Everybody please do this.

Feedback should be wholly concentrated on Wellman at this point.

Don't think I got one. I've never given any $. Wonder if that matters?

Done. Commented that I would not support Wake financially or otherwise until Wellman and Bzz were no longer in their positions w wfu.

here is my comments:

I used to give generously to the Deacon Club and WF, but I plan on stopping until there are significant changes in the Athletic department. Our teams have become the joke of the league and our once proud basketball program is a fiasco. I keep hearing about all of this improvement, but the improvement they mentioned is from epically bad levels of ineptitude for both Wake Forest and the ACC. If Dr. Hatch and Ron Wellman don’t care enough about the ‘front porch’ of our University (to quote Ron Wellman) to make changes every reasonable person agrees are necessary, then I will not support their decisions with my contributions.

I am taking the direct approach.

Keep [Redacted] = I give nothing at all

Fire [Redacted] = I give you money

Also, laughingstock of college basketball is a little stronger than "joke of the league" but still well done, 91.

Here's what I wrote, feel free to borrow liberally:

"I love Wake Forest, but continue to be disheartened by the direction of our athletic programs. Perhaps it comes across as simple-minded to place such great emphasis on our sports, but I am a strong believer that a large part of our national presence is derived from our success on the playing field.

Ron Wellman's retention of Jeff [Redacted] gives any rational basketball fan much concern about our future success. Ron's manner in doing so has been dismissive of all rational criticism, and has alienated our alumni and fan base.

The lack of action from the Board of Trustees and Dr. Hatch in response to this displays, at best, poor judgement. It leads me to question the judgement they use in all areas of the University, and as such I can not and will not support their decisions financially with my contributions.

As a twenty-something, my donations would be a pittance compared to your average donor, but I certainly hope this department has the foresight to recognize the importance of listening to younger alumni who will soon become their core financial base of donors."

Last edited:
I am taking the direct approach.

Keep [Redacted] = I give nothing at all

Fire [Redacted] = I give you money

Also, laughingstock of college basketball is a little stronger than "joke of the league" but still well done, 91.

funny - I orginally had laughingstock, but we did get out of last place this year, so I changed it to joke.

Just sent mine in as well. Basically restated that I stopped giving because I am concerned that the entire university is being run like the athletic department.

I basically told them that without an effort to field a big time basketball and football program the Wake Forest University that I attended no longer exists.

The deafening silence from President Hatch on the situation regarding AD Ron Wellman's persistent defense of Head Basketball Coach Jeff [Redacted] is utterly disappointing. However no moreso than Wellman's bizarre and borderline nepotistic devotion to Jeff [Redacted], a coach who has excelled in failure.

The situation with the athletic programs has greatly diminished my family's interest in Wake Forest athletics and, by proximate extension, the university as a whole. I used to be proud of traveling to games, seeing Wake compete, and wearing WF gear. Ron Wellman has turned that pride to shame. And it absolutely effects my inclination to donate to any of the programs at Wake: academic or athletic. And that is not only a sad shame but a great price to pay to keep a single, failing, high-profile employee on the payroll.

The situation belies a shockingly dysfunctional culture in the very administration of the university as a whole.

Well, this plus a nickle will get you... something that a nickle can buy.

Just sent mine in as well. Basically restated that I stopped giving because I am concerned that the entire university is being run like the athletic department.
This is the truth. Our leadership is tone deaf to the overwhelming majority and I guess doesn't realize that our future big money donors are growing more disengaged from the University everyday.

Back