• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ambien: truth serum?

WhatUTalkinBout Willis

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Right here, chained to this desk for eternity
I'll go ahead and level for starters: I have a family member who has been on Ambien for years and has done some suspect stuff including admitting things they would never admit sober, especially when combined with a little alcohol.

Anyone else around here using this to sleep?

Any adverse consequences?

Anyone try to quit?

I don't have a true frame of reference because I sleep like a rock, but it seems pretty crazy to me this drug is still legal and is so commonly prescribed.

Last edited:
It had really messed up nightmares on it, but didn't have any sleepwalking or other issues with it. Glad I don't need it anymore though.

Ambien has a really tattered history. What you describe isnt uncommon. An older gentleman in our FD actually raped his wife at force a couple times while taking it. Once she told him about it and he didnt remember any of it, he stopped it immediately.

it doesn't really do much for me, i've taken it a few times to help me sleep on airplanes. I don't know the dosage that I took (my dad gave them to me) but I've taken two with a few drinks and at best it makes me a little drowsy...but that could just have been the drinks combined with it being late at night

Get the F off ambien. It's very bad news. Take Trazodone if you have sleep problems. It's just as effective and has no adverse side effects (other than a little dry mouth in the morning).

It's amazing Ambien is still on the market. I've heard literally dozens of stories from people I know who have had strange side effects. My fiancee's brother drove all around town, bought groceries, did other things at like 3 am and remembered none of it. When I worked in retail pharmacy patients would constantly tell us they did things they would not remember the next day. Scary drug.

It's amazing Ambien is still on the market. I've heard literally dozens of stories from people I know who have had strange side effects. My fiancee's brother drove all around town, bought groceries, did other things at like 3 am and remembered none of it. When I worked in retail pharmacy patients would constantly tell us they did things they would not remember the next day. Scary drug.

That story won't get him out of trouble for fucking his wife's sister.

Ambien has a really tattered history. What you describe isnt uncommon. An older gentleman in our FD actually raped his wife at force a couple times while taking it. Once she told him about it and he didnt remember any of it, he stopped it immediately.

Wow. I'll stay away from that stuff.

There was a rash of fires in my neighborhood several years before we moved in. They arrested a lady for arson and she served like 8 years or so. A few days after she was released, a house that was under construction 2 doors down from me burned to the ground. (that was crazy, and another story altogether...thankfully we were fine because the wind was going the other way, but about 5 other houses downwind caught fire). Any who, they questioned this lady but she had an airtight alibi, and I think the ultimate cause was determined to be some consturction equiptment left plugged in. Well, getting to the point, my wife was talking to our neighbors crazy daughter (30s) and mentioned that arson lady. Turns out the daughter is friends with her, and she said that the lady was on Ambien when she lit those fires and doesn't remember any of it and should not have gone to jail. I'm sure that is totally false, because you must be fucked up crazy to begin with if you're gonna burn down houses, but I still wouldn't get near Ambien.

My ex used to get bat shit crazy in bed on Ambien. I used to slip it to her on a regular basis.

very interesting medication. It's commonly used still because it is purely a sleep medicine (and it's generic now, I think). Many of the things people use for sleep (trazadone, benadryl, klonopin) aren't truly designed for sleep, but just have drowsiness as a side effect. It is also non-addictive. As a physician I would feel more comfortable giving you something designed specifically for your problem that is non-addictive than giving you something that is addictive (klonopin, etc) and merely has drowsiness as a side effect. But the stories starting to come out about it are interesting to say the least.

I wonder if the other available sleep medications (lunesta, sonata) have similar effects as Ambien? I can't really recall the mechanism of action and if they are similar.

I've been on it for almost 3 years and have never had any problems.

i've taken it for about a year; definitely some crazy stories early on...

once i learned to only take it after i've gotten into bed (and locked the door); its been great.

I've been on it for almost 3 years and have never had any problems.

...that you remember.

I once had to pick someone up from a bar that had fallen asleep, gotten out of the bed, gotten dressed, driven to the bar and had a few drinks. Bar tender called me. I picked them up, and the next morning they still didn't remember it.

The last time i took it I found a 7:30 minute long video in my iPhone 48 hours later of me absolutely tripping balls. Had zero memory of it. I'm wandering around my house in a weird outfit narrating my trip. It's hilarious and terrifying but I haven't taken the med since.

Still have the video though...

My brother took it once and ended up smashing his face on his night stand, leading to a trip to the emergency room and stitches.

Back