• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ambien???

Can someone tell me why we should give a damn what any basketball coach says in October? If you want to split hairs, Bz never mentioned any of the departed players by name but said that he was happy with what he has. There's plenty to infer that can support or refute either side. I don't care what he says, how he says it or about whom he says it. Just get the players on the court to actually play and win. Everything else is irrelevant.

Moon, that's Numbers, not myself, therefore not applicable.

I was just happy that I could look at that picture and tell it was him and not you. I can normally never tell you two apart!

#winning :plos:

I've heard and read comments Grobe has made about "knotheads" plenty of times. I have also heard to him say that "the recruiting classes that didn't pan out" were a large part of the poor season we all witnessed last year. He also called out his own current players in the pre-season for not being tough.

No different than Bz, except that Grobe has an ACC Championship and a few successful seasons and Bz doesn't.

Bz is a nice guy who took on a mess that he did not create but was hired to clean up. Now that he, by his own admission, has cleaned it up, we can fairly assess what kind of coach he is.

Any assessment of his coaching abilities at Wake Forest prior to this season are based on emotion and not rationale.

Bz is fair game this season and I am hoping he proves me (and most everyone else) wrong and that we are all pleased with his performance at the end of the season.

Go Deacs!

Cant tell if serious. Did you expect him to put on 30lbs of muscle in six months?

I'm completely serious - 15 pounds in six months is very unimpressive for a college age kid. He has access to great facilities and all the food he needs to support muscle growth and weight gain.

I read that article and thought, wow, the players have only been working with our new strength and conditioning coach for a month or so and they are already touting their fitness and strength - that's a good sign.

As for the dismissed players, Bzd was asked if there was addition by subtraction and he answered. He's not particularly suave, but we knew that. Doubt it's going to change. He is not very good at being two, three steps ahead of the game and understanding how his quotes are going to be used and blown out of proportion.

It is obvious though that he is excited to have a team of guys ready and conditioned to play basketball and that last year and all the off the court distractions are expected to be finito. We'll see. But it's always good to have a hungry team and an excited coach.

As I said a month ago after the JTT departure. 15 wins, baby. In honor of Al Davis, our motto should be, 'just play hard, baby.' 40 minutes. We play hard for 40 and we'll win some respect and some games. Our schedule is not super hard.

First...they aren't kids... They are collegiate athletes playing for a major program. My highschool football coached told a school paper that if I had caught a pass, it would have kept the drive alive and given us a chance to win.... know what my dad said "if you want to keep your name out of his mouth, catch the ball".... I was in highschool, my god, we act like their name shouldn't be spoken because their fragile little minds will be destroyed. And stop with the "Why do we have to bring up the past" crap... It's not ancient history...we still have people all over the boards talking about CP3 leaving... This happened after last season, and before the next season.... color me shocked when a reporter asks about the difference between last season and this coming season...more shocked when a coach answers it....

Can someone tell me why we should give a damn what any basketball coach says in October? If you want to split hairs, Bz never mentioned any of the departed players by name but said that he was happy with what he has. There's plenty to infer that can support or refute either side. I don't care what he says, how he says it or about whom he says it. Just get the players on the court to actually play and win. Everything else is irrelevant.

This. Also agree with KVegas.

I'm completely serious - 15 pounds in six months is very unimpressive for a college age kid. He has access to great facilities and all the food he needs to support muscle growth and weight gain.

It is extremely difficult to put on mass no matter what you do when you do as much cardio/conditioning work as they do.

And it's not like he exposed them.... He didn't go to the paper and say 'Ok, well everyone, I just got a call about 15 minutes ago, and without looking further into it, I would like to say that JTT is guilty and will likely not be on the team"

Should he have said " Ok, a certain 7 footer may be missing from the team during the first semester... and no, it has nothing to do with player on my team and stolen laptops..." I mean, it's like putting a camoflage tank in front of the golden gate bridge...

15 pounds of muscle in 6 months on a 7 foot frame is actually a pretty good jump.

And it's not like he exposed them.... He didn't go to the paper and say 'Ok, well everyone, I just got a call about 15 minutes ago, and without looking further into it, I would like to say that JTT is guilty and will likely not be on the team"

Should he have said " Ok, a certain 7 footer may be missing from the team during the first semester... and no, it has nothing to do with player on my team and stolen laptops..." I mean, it's like putting a camoflage tank in front of the golden gate bridge...

Like :thumbsup:

It is extremely difficult to put on mass no matter what you do when you do as much cardio/conditioning work as they do.

Holy shit ....agreee...... 15lbs is a lot... if he had put on 30lbs, I would seriously be thinking HGH....

It would be kinda funny if Carson came back 30lbs heavy, with a serious attitude (I'd post a picture of Lattimere if I knew how to).

First...they aren't kids... They are collegiate athletes playing for a major program. My highschool football coached told a school paper that if I had caught a pass, it would have kept the drive alive and given us a chance to win.... know what my dad said "if you want to keep your name out of his mouth, catch the ball".... I was in highschool, my god, we act like their name shouldn't be spoken because their fragile little minds will be destroyed. And stop with the "Why do we have to bring up the past" crap... It's not ancient history...we still have people all over the boards talking about CP3 leaving... This happened after last season, and before the next season.... color me shocked when a reporter asks about the difference between last season and this coming season...more shocked when a coach answers it....

Agreed and good points. We were 8-24 last year. We need to be a different team this year. Shocker that the coach is asked about it on media day.

Agreed.

One of the big critiques on Carson was that he wasn't strong enough to defend the post; assuming the coaching staff felt that way, I would have liked to see Carson put on more weight. In fact, I would rather he sacrifice some conditioning the first couple months of the off-season in favor of bulking/adding strength, and pick up heavy on the conditioning early-mid summer. Just my opinion.

15 pounds of muscle in 6 months on a 7 foot frame is actually a pretty good jump.

As a weakling/novice athlete (as defined by his very low bench press) would indicate he had the potential to add a lot more strength/weight over that period of time, the 'novice effect' if you will. Lots of conditioning would keep the weight low though, as FYC pointed out.

If Carson really put on 15 lbs of muscle, that would make a big difference regardless. He'd be about the same size as Zeller at that point. His strength was an issue last year, especially lower body, but his toughness was as big of a problem. If he is a little stronger and a lot tougher it should make a world of difference. Hopeful about Carson this year.

Back