• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AMC trying out "MoviePass" - $35/month for unlimited movies in AMC Theaters

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
Right now only planned in Boston and Denver. $45/month gets you 3D movies and large-format movies.

BOSTON (CBS) — A Netflix-like deal is coming to some movie theaters in Boston: Pay a single monthly fee and go to the movies every day without having to buy a ticket.

It’s called MoviePass, and it will launch early next year at AMC theaters in Boston and Denver only. It’s the first time a movie theater chain has offered a premium subscription service, AMC and MoviePass say.

For $45 per month, theatergoers can see one movie per day, including 3D and “AMC ETX” movies. A standard subscription limited to 2D movies costs $35 monthly.

AMC and MoviePass said they are adjusting to a new reality where many, especially young people, are used to paying for entertainment via subscriptions like Netflix and Hulu.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/12/...ton-chain-to-offer-unlimited-moviegoing-pass/

Would you do it if MoviePass were available near you?

I definitely would do that and I know my parents would. I've been to the movies twice in 18 months.

Cinema prices up here are so much higher than in NC, though. I used to go to the movies at least once a week in W-S. Here, it's $11/trip, so this is really only going to save money if you go every week, and even then, the savings aren't enough to justify going that often.

If I was 15-18 years old this would be amazing. We went to the movies in 8th-11th grade almost every weekend.

There aren't enough good movies and AMC doesn't get every good movie.

Cinema prices up here are so much higher than in NC, though. I used to go to the movies at least once a week in W-S. Here, it's $11/trip, so this is really only going to save money if you go every week, and even then, the savings aren't enough to justify going that often.

That's about the same as here in Charlotte.

If they'd include a Never Ending Concession Stand Pass, a la Olive Garden, I'd be in.

Now that's an idea.

A night out at the movies for 2 w/ concessions prob averages to $50. Make it an even $100 and add an unlimited concessions package? You'll have fatsos lined up for miles to get at that deal.

I just think a more reasonable price point, if the intention is to get people into the theater that wouldn't already be there, is in the $20/mo range. $35/45 doesn't make sense to me as a motivator.

Agreed. Either way, theaters should have been doing something like this years ago.

I like the improved experience seating and stuff but clearly all of those improvements have shown to only increase the ticket price. Its over $20 to see a 3D movie.

Maybe it's just me but I never really buy concessions at a movie. I can survive two hours without snacks.

I like the improved experience seating and stuff but clearly all of those improvements have shown to only increase the ticket price. Its over $20 to see a 3D movie.

Huh? Even the most expensive theaters around here are around $14-15 to see a 3D movie.

You would need to see three movies/month to break even, not considering concessions, etc. When was the last time there were three worthwhile movies released in the same month? Let alone a series of consecutive months that featured three or more worthwhile movies...

You would need to see three movies/month to break even, not considering concessions, etc. When was the last time there were three worthwhile movies released in the same month? Let alone a series of consecutive months that featured three or more worthwhile movies...
And it's not like AMC shows a bunch of indie movies

I feel like this will increase the amount of people going to random movies during the day. This doesn't vibe with me bc I like to jerk off when it's just me or a few peeps in the theatre.

Huh? Even the most expensive theaters around here are around $14-15 to see a 3D movie.

You're right, I was thinking about IMAX and the enhanced sound. those are like $18 a ticket.

Also...its only ONE movie a day. That's lame. I'd want to see at least 2 a day.

Back