• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AMC trying out "MoviePass" - $35/month for unlimited movies in AMC Theaters

I'm in as soon as I figure out how to sign up.

The downside is that it appears to be for one movie per day. I'd rather get in a double feature than go 2 different days.

As for AMC not showing indie films, at Boston Common right now they're playing Birdman, Foxcatcher, Wild and The Theory of Everything, all of which are playing at the "true" indie theater in town. Granted that's the one downtown with 19 screens and the suburban theaters are indeed more focused on Hunger Games/Hobbit showings right now.

That was I was thinking after I posted lol.

"Soup kitchen"

Just drop $20 on a large soda and popcorn with free refills, and go bananas. If you went through all the seats after like 6 showings a day, you could probably find $35 in change per month.

This actually sounds like a decent life.

Sounds awesome. What happens when a theater reaches full capacity for a blockbuster? How can they know how many tickets to sell to regular DONKS who don't subscribe to make sure Johnny Bigdick doesn't buy a ticket to a movie he can't see?

Sounds awesome. What happens when a theater reaches full capacity for a blockbuster? How can they know how many tickets to sell to regular DONKS who don't subscribe to make sure Johnny Bigdick doesn't buy a ticket to a movie he can't see?

They can just buy a ticket for the next showing. First come, first serve should still work.

I've done the double feature before...buy a ticket and then just hang around for the next movie.

Cinema prices up here are so much higher than in NC, though. I used to go to the movies at least once a week in W-S. Here, it's $11/trip, so this is really only going to save money if you go every week, and even then, the savings aren't enough to justify going that often.

Pretty sure that's just standard now. I went in November to the Grand in WS and it was like $12.50 just for the ticket.

I'd be all over this in a heartbeat if it was in my area.

The Grand in WS was always shit for pricing, though. We #poors stuck to the low, low fares of the Carmike.

I think 1 movie a day is plenty. I mean at first you will go 2-3 times a week but after a month or so you've seen all the movies that are out so at that point you are just seeing movies as the come to the theater. To tell you the truth I think you would be going to movies just to "get your money's worth" and not because you are really interested in the content.

I'm not sure what the advantage is to this over the regular MoviePass program. How many people in their target demographic aren't able to use the normal service due to lack of a smartphone? Who wants to be limited to AMC theatres?

Back